Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
We'll be reading two fanfics as a group for the month of November, a short story and a long one, so if you have a story you'd like to read together, nominate it here. We aren't going to have any specific theme for this month, so feel free to nominate any story you think deserves some attention.

So far, we have "The Strongest Magic" by ML Thompson and Alisha Knight's "From the Ruins" nominated in the long story category, and we have Lynn S.M.'s "Thanksgiving Games" nominated for the short story category. Once we have a few more nominations, I'll create a poll so that we can choose one story from each category to read for the month of November. Remember, we'd like to start reading by the 1st of November, so if you have a story in mind you'd like to read, don't hesitate to nominate it as early as possible.

Top Banana
Top Banana
How about M.L. Thompson's 'The People vs. Clark Kent' for a long story?

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Thanks, Annie. Our current list:

Long:

"Ad Astra Per Aspera" by Becky Bain
"The Strongest Magic" by ML Thompson
"From the Ruins" by Alisha Knight
"The People vs. Clark Kent" by M.L. Thompson

Short:

"Thanksgiving Games" by "Lynn S.M."
"Camera Obscura" By Mrs Mosley

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Might I suggest two short stories:

STRANGE VISITORS by C. Malo
Ubermann by Dandello

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Kerth
Kerth
As always, Yvonne Connell's stories are some of my faves. Would love to read any of her long ones for November ("Addicted" or "Damaged", might I suggest).

For a short one, what is the length supposed to be? Under 10 Kb? 50? (If the second, then I also suggest Yvonne Connell's "The Elevator" for fun and fluffy story dance )

Other recs:

"Some like it Hot" by Wanda Detroit
"The Story of Kal'El and his Concubines" by Saskia
rotflol

I'm sure I'll think of more. laugh

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Thanks, Morgana and Mouserocks. Our updated list:

Long:

"Addicted" by Yvonne Connell
"Damaged" by Yvonne Connell

Short:

"Strange Visitors" by C. Malo
"Ubermann" by Dandello
"The Elevator" by Yvonne Connell
"The Story of Kal-El and his Concubines" by Saskia

Oh, and I'd say a 50 Kb story counts as a short story, so that's where I placed "The Elevator." smile

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Michael has been trying forever to get me to read ‘There’s No Place Like Home’ by MLT. (Actually, all her stories on my "must read list" but this title comes up far more often than the others). Being that it's an MLT story, let's just assume it's a long one.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Thanks, Virginia. The updated list:

Long:

"Addicted" by Yvonne Connell
"Damaged" by Yvonne Connell
"There’s No Place Like Home" by MLT

Short:

"Strange Visitors" by C. Malo
"Ubermann" by Dandello
"The Elevator" by Yvonne Connell
"The Story of Kal-El and his Concubines" by Saskia

By the way, I'm thinking that I'll probably start the poll for selecting our November stories on October 15th, the same day our discussions for our October stories starts. If anybody has a fanfic that they'd like to see added to this list, try to recommend it before then.

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I posted the poll where we will choose our fanfic club selections for November. I set the poll to end October 22nd at 11:59 pm. That way, if people need a little extra time to read, they'll have it. smile

http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000427

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
We have our official choices for our November fanfics. In the long story category, we actually had a tie. Since scheduling two long stories and a short story all in the same month might overwhelm some people and since I want to make sure both stories get the same amount of attention, I think the best solution is to read one for November and read the other for December. That way people don't have to make a choice if they only have time to read one.

So, unless there are any objections, our stories for November will be The Strongest Magic by ML Thompson (long) and The Elevator by Yvonne Connell (short).

In December, our long story will be Ad Astra Per Aspera by Becky Bain .

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sounds great--thanks for all the planning/set-up smile

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lois_Lane_Fan:
We have our official choices for our November fanfics. In the long story category, we actually had a tie. Since scheduling two long stories and a short story all in the same month might overwhelm some people and since I want to make sure both stories get the same amount of attention, I think the best solution is to read one for November and read the other for December. That way people don't have to make a choice if they only have time to read one.

So, unless there are any objections, our stories for November will be The Strongest Magic by ML Thompson (long) and The Elevator by Yvonne Connell (short).

In December, our long story will be Ad Astra Per Aspera by Becky Bain .
Thank, LLF. I just tried to download those two long ones to my NOOK and discovered they must be under 50K words, because neither of them are on the All the Novels (for e-readers) list hyper I'm so glad, because I was afraid I was going to have to try reading them in txt format, which would mean I'd look even more like cat

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi, Virginia. We do have a link to the legacy ebook wiki home page -- it's in the blue nav strip at the left on the archive front. But it probably would be friendlier to also include the link in the blip about the novels. Thanks for the jog on that.

I love the idea of monthly fanfic readings and discussion. FoLCs rock!

Speaking of people who rock, I must say thanks to KateB! She's been beefing up the epub and Kindle pages on the wiki, converting tons of stories for our ereaders. So if you've cruised by the wiki lately and found that the story you've been hoping to read on your ereader has been added, chances are good that KateB made it happen. Thanks, KateB!!

This would be a good time to say that the All the Novels page is not an actively updated page and so is not up-to-date: We've had many novel-sized stories added in 2013 that are not yet posted to that wiki page. But you can still get at the ereader versions of new novels via the What's New page. Updating the Novels page sounds like a good end-of-year project.

Best wishes,

Lauren

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
KateB:

clap clap sloppy

LabRat :-)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by LaurenW:
Hi, Virginia. We do have a link to the legacy ebook wiki home page -- it's in the blue nav strip at the left on the archive front. But it probably would be friendlier to also include the link in the blip about the novels. Thanks for the jog on that.
I'm always amazed by anyone who can read stories on their iPhones, even on my larger screened Nook, I totally missed that. clap Thank you! notworthy

VirginiaR.
---
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm so glad, because I was afraid I was going to have to try reading them in txt format, which would mean I'd look even more like
I'm always amazed by anyone who can read stories on their iPhones, even on my larger screened Nook, I totally missed that. Thanks.
Wow--sadly just had a revelation tonight!...I am one of those that has been reading L&C fanfic exclusively on my iphone--and get this: in text format! A year ago when I got the phone I tried to open a story under e-reader options and it didn't seem to work, so stuck with the text format...looking around on the links here I schooled myself a little on iphones/ipads and reading apps to download. Guess I needed an app! Go figure hyper

K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
blush Thanks fellow FoLCs, it has been a lot of fun playing on the wiki. You can expect some more stories converted every week (most likely every weekend laugh )
I love the idea of monthly reading. I will make sure, that all stories are available on wiki ASAP, so we can have our fun!

FoLCs rock!

KateB
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by LMA:
Sounds great--thanks for all the planning/set-up smile
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Thank, LLF.
You're welcome. laugh

K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
By now all the stories from the list are on the wiki page, in both epub and mobi format. Enjoy. smile

KateB
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Will be downloading app to read on my device and taking full advantage of this---THANKS, Kate! dance

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard