Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#168263 12/10/12 10:21 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
"CJ" is a common use for Lois and Clark's first son in fanfiction. I don't remember the name being used in canon, so I'm assuming its fanon. Does anyone know or remember who first used this name? Or why it stuck?

Is CJ common for Lois and Clark's oldest son, or does it only refer to the baby found during "The Family Hour" (when that baby is a boy)?

I know that the bear that Clark won for Lois in GGGoH is commonly known here on the boards as Clarkie. The first time I heard that name (and loved it) was in IolantheAlias's 2011 story Chocolate Lab . If it appeared before then with this name, I missed it.

I'm just curious where and how fanon lore develops. What are your thoughts?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I was reading a facfic where Clark from one time frame meets Clark from another, and Lois refers to the one from the younger time-frame as CJ.

There was also a fan fic where CJ was a Clark from a different dimension (where solar-radiation is lower, so he does not have super powers, and he is an assistant DA in a Metropolis plagued by courts corrupted by Luthor.)

It seems to me more often Clark and Lois' oldest son gets named Jonathan than CJ, but naming him Clark Jerome Kent Jr. and calling him CJ works.

John Pack Lambert
Merriwether
Merriwether
John's right -- generally when CJ is used in a fic, it is short for Clark Jerome Kent, Jr, or in the case of alternate universe stories, a nickname Clark uses for himself. For their kids, Jonathan is also pretty common for boys, and I seem to remember a stretch where Lanie was popular for girls, as was Emma/Emmy (maybe after Teri had her daughter?) And, of course, the S5 & S6 teams chose Laura. smile

As for Clarkie-the-Bear, I can't remember when that one came on the scene, other than it was very early! So early, in fact, that I wonder if it might have been mentioned in a script or by the actors, but it could have just been named in a very early fanfic and it was so logical that it stuck. In fact, the first mention of it in a fanfic that I can recall came in the majordomo days, so you know it's been around a long time. smile

ETA: I was curious, so I went through my old computer files to see if I could find the story I was thinking of, that mentioned Clarkie the bear early on, and I actually found it. It was from 1995! And yes, it was from the majordomo days, before we had a website aarchive. Alas, it's no longer on the archive so I can't link to it, but for those old timers like myself who remember the salad days of the fandom, it was called "Clarkie: A Thanksgiving Story". (Now how's that for a blast from the past? smile )

Kathy

J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Didn't Lois/Lucy call Clark/Desi, Clarkie, in the daydream fantasy episode. Can't remember the name , but the phrase, "Clarkie, I just wannna be part of the action," keeps popping into my head.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I think so, Jude. I distinctly remember at least one instance of a dreamworld Lois calling him Clarkie. Did Lana call Alt Clark Clarkie at one point in Tempus, Anyone? as well?

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by John Lambert:
I was reading a facfic where Clark from one time frame meets Clark from another, and Lois refers to the one from the younger time-frame as CJ.

There was also a fan fic where CJ was a Clark from a different dimension (where solar-radiation is lower, so he does not have super powers, and he is an assistant DA in a Metropolis plagued by courts corrupted by Luthor.)
I've never seen a fic where an alt-Clark (any version) has been called CJ. This is a new concept (to me).

... but naming him Clark Jerome Kent Jr. and calling him CJ works.
Yes, I've seen this numerous times and it never makes sense to me. I cannot for the life of me comprehend why Clark would ever call any son "Clark Jerome Kent, Jr" or "Clark Junior". It is my understanding of Clark's personality that he would want any son of his own to walk in his own shoes (be his own man, so to speak). Clark and Lois would know that as the son of Superman (even if only known within one's own family) would be difficult enough burden to carry. Additionally, Clark would be especially wary should, like alt-Clark, his secret identity be revealed.

The only way I could understand them naming a child "Clark Jerome Kent, Jr" would be if Lois thought Clark was dead, without knowing that CK=SM, and named the child that in honor of his dead father.

I could, on the other hand, definitely see him and Lois honoring his father Jonathan, possibly Martha (although that name is a bit old-fashioned, so more likely as a middle name) and his birth mother, Lara (the name I chose, when dealing with the Family Hour's child). Jor-El, possibly, again Americanized (or humanized) as a type of middle name. Samuel and Ellen as well, makes sense to me (if Lois agrees, or possibly just to shut up Ellen, but use her name as a middle name).

I would more likely understand Clark and Lois picking a name that has nothing to do with anyone they know, because most of us don't name our children after our folks (do we?). Lois and Clark would know full well that their child, being the first Kryptonian-human, would be unique and be treated as such with either a plain-jane name (which is, no offense, why Jonathan makes sense) or a unique name (nothing too unique as to be made up, or as offensive to one's ears as the babyname from the Twilight books / movie smile1

As for Clarkie-the-Bear, I can't remember when that one came on the scene, other than it was very early! So early, in fact, that I wonder if it might have been mentioned in a script or by the actors, but it could have just been named in a very early fanfic and it was so logical that it stuck. In fact, the first mention of it in a fanfic that I can recall came in the majordomo days, so you know it's been around a long time.

ETA: I was curious, so I went through my old computer files to see if I could find the story I was thinking of, that mentioned Clarkie the bear early on, and I actually found it. It was from 1995! And yes, it was from the majordomo days, before we had a website aarchive. Alas, it's no longer on the archive so I can't link to it, but for those old timers like myself who remember the salad days of the fandom, it was called "Clarkie: A Thanksgiving Story". (Now how's that for a blast from the past? )
hyper Wow! That's amazing! Thanks for the history of Clarkie's name. I love it!

Originally posted by Jude:
Didn't Lois/Lucy call Clark/Desi, Clarkie, in the daydream fantasy episode. Can't remember the name , but the phrase, "Clarkie, I just wannna be part of the action," keeps popping into my head.
Did she? rotflol I don't remember. Now, I'll want to see that episode again! Does anyone remember which one it was? "Don't Tug on Superman's Cloak" perhaps?

Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
Did Lana call Alt Clark Clarkie at one point in Tempus, Anyone? as well?
jawdrop No! Did she? All right. I've got to watch that again tonight? I remember she called him something in that babydoll voice of hers, but for the life of me can't remember what. It *could* have been Clarkie.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I just checked the TA script and can't find it. I could swear she does in the show though. Or maybe I'm just making her even more obnoxious in my mind. wink

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I just checked the TA script and can't find it. I could swear she does in the show though. Or maybe I'm just making her even more obnoxious in my mind. wink
I just forced myself to watch "Tempus, Anyone?" again (oh, darn. laugh ) and Lana ONLY calls Clark "Clark". He calls her "sweetheart", but that's the only endearment that they share between them. Phew.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] I just checked the TA script and can't find it. I could swear she does in the show though. Or maybe I'm just making her even more obnoxious in my mind. wink
I just forced myself to watch "Tempus, Anyone?" again (oh, darn. laugh ) and Lana ONLY calls Clark "Clark". He calls her "sweetheart", but that's the only endearment that they share between them. Phew. [/b]
rotflol So sorry you had to brave that. wink Okay, I guess Lana's sickly sweetness is worse in my own sick head. wink Good to know.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
rotflol So sorry you had to brave that. wink Okay, I guess Lana's sickly sweetness is worse in my own sick head. wink Good to know.
The things we do for our stories. Sigh. [Linked Image]

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] rotflol So sorry you had to brave that. wink Okay, I guess Lana's sickly sweetness is worse in my own sick head. wink Good to know.
The things we do for our stories. Sigh. [Linked Image] [/b]
rotflol rotflol rotflol

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I would more likely understand Clark and Lois picking a name that has nothing to do with anyone they know, because most of us don't name our children after our folks (do we?). Lois and Clark would know full well that their child, being the first Kryptonian-human, would be unique and be treated as such with either a plain-jane name (which is, no offense, why Jonathan makes sense) or a unique name (nothing too unique as to be made up, or as offensive to one's ears as the babyname from the Twilight books / movie because I couldn't see Lois or Clark doing that to a child).
That's how I feel - that they would choose something unrelated to the family. That's why I went with original names when I've written the Kent children in (Michael, Hunter, and Rebecca). But, I could see them honoring the family with secret Kryptonian names, which would also keep that part of their heritage alive. So, Michael as Jon-El after Clark's Earth dad, Hunter as Jor-El for Clark's bio dad, and Rebecca as Marla-El (a mix of Martha and Lara). I see them more likely to honor Clark's folks that way since Lois' parents wouldn't even know about the secret Kryptonian names.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Perhaps you're thinking of when Veronica calls him 'Clarkey' in WIEaK? Her voice was certainly annoying enough.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
I think that the bear was actually named Clarkie bear in the series, but I don't know where it turns up. The bear found its way to Lois in GGGoH, that I know for sure. When its name is mentioned I cannot say, though.

Regarding "CJ" for Lois' and Clark's oldest son - I know of one series where Luthor manages to create a perfect Clone of Clark, and Lois and Clark then adopt the clone baby and call him CJ. (Nan Smith' Dagger Series). There is also a whole next-gen series where Lois and Clark's second son is named Samuel Clark, but everyone calls him CJ. (I don't remember the name of the series, but its last installment is "Meet Sam Wayne".)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
That's the Dawn of Discovery series by C. Leuch.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The Samuel Clark/CJ series is by Cindy Leuch, and Jonathan is the older brother. Veronica calls Clark "Clarkey" in WIEAK, and Lois repeats it in disgust. But I also seem to remember Lois saying it sometime later in a baby doll voice to tease Clark, but I can't remember when. Maybe she just says, "Oh, Cla-ark," making two syllables of his name and that's what I'm remembering.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by sheilah:
Veronica calls Clark "Clarkey" in WIEAK, and Lois repeats it in disgust. But I also seem to remember Lois saying it sometime later to tease Clark, but I can't remember when.
What does the cloned Lois (Clois) call Clark? Does *she* call him Clarkie?

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Jude:

smile Jude

dance
Yes. Dream Lois/Lucy calls him Clarkie right after the Kents explode in "Don't Tug On Superman's Cape."

Originally posted by Virginia:
What does the cloned Lois (Clois) call Clark? Does *she* call him Clarkie?
I think she stuck to Clark and Honey.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
Perhaps you're thinking of when Veronica calls him 'Clarkey' in WIEaK? Her voice was certainly annoying enough.

Joy,
Lynn
Ooooh! That might be it! Thanks!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I guess I'm just perpetuating the myth by using CJ and Clarkie Bear in my series.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard