Next Thread
Print Thread
#167955 07/09/12 05:51 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
I have this problem when I write multiple versions of the same character (which is the case with the Superman universe.) Each of them has a slightly different take/attitude about a situation and sometimes the "voice" for one gets mingled into another. For example, when I'm writing an LnC story I sometimes hear the voice of a different version (Margot/Reeveverse!Lois tends to be the most vocal) and I find myself stopping and thinking "would this version of Lois say it like that? How can I re-write this to make it more in character?

I suspect the differences in "voices" are in part due to writing and in part to the adlib that actors/actresses sometimes bring to their role. Just wondering if others have this problem.

ftr, when I talk about a particular "muse" (i.e. the Margot!Lois for example) I'm usually talking about a particular "voice" of the character.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#167956 07/09/12 06:55 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I get what you mean. I mostly have that issue with different universes (for example, since I've been getting into Castle fic, and I find the Caskett relationship so reminiscent of the LnC one, what with all of the banter and secrets and avoidance, I'll sometimes slip Castle into Clark mode before I have to shake myself out of it). As for different Superman universes... Well, I mostly play Lois the same. I think Teri Hatcher hit it out of the park as Lois and that Lois done right would sound like that (plus I think Margot Kidder did a good job as Lois, too, so it's kind of similar). As for Superman, I get that there are some major differences beteween LnC/other Superman universes. So I do have to stop myself often and quit looking at pictures of Dean Cain. goofy

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#167957 07/09/12 01:18 PM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Here's a suggestion: spend a few hours watching your favorite eps. This always gets the voices, vocabulary choices and language patterns back in my head.

smile Jude

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
#167958 07/09/12 06:26 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Jude:
Here's a suggestion: spend a few hours watching your favorite eps. This always gets the voices, vocabulary choices and language patterns back in my head.

smile Jude
Great tip, Jude! That always works for me.

I know that sometimes after I've caught up with Smallville my characters start saying things in a different manner (Hence why the words "Wall of Weird" ended up in Another Lois. I believe I was channeling Cloe into Jimmy. laugh How's that for a mixup?) And I believe you (Christina) told me once that I was channeling Christopher Reeves' CK when my Clark corrected Lois' grammar in a certain way. I was like, huh, really? What's he doing in there? clap But it must have happened after I showed my kids Superman 1. I think as long as Clark doesn't start going, "Hey, Dude, that's rad!" I think you're pretty safe. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard