Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Christina On Character "voice" - 07/09/12 09:51 AM
I have this problem when I write multiple versions of the same character (which is the case with the Superman universe.) Each of them has a slightly different take/attitude about a situation and sometimes the "voice" for one gets mingled into another. For example, when I'm writing an LnC story I sometimes hear the voice of a different version (Margot/Reeveverse!Lois tends to be the most vocal) and I find myself stopping and thinking "would this version of Lois say it like that? How can I re-write this to make it more in character?

I suspect the differences in "voices" are in part due to writing and in part to the adlib that actors/actresses sometimes bring to their role. Just wondering if others have this problem.

ftr, when I talk about a particular "muse" (i.e. the Margot!Lois for example) I'm usually talking about a particular "voice" of the character.
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: On Character "voice" - 07/09/12 10:55 AM
I get what you mean. I mostly have that issue with different universes (for example, since I've been getting into Castle fic, and I find the Caskett relationship so reminiscent of the LnC one, what with all of the banter and secrets and avoidance, I'll sometimes slip Castle into Clark mode before I have to shake myself out of it). As for different Superman universes... Well, I mostly play Lois the same. I think Teri Hatcher hit it out of the park as Lois and that Lois done right would sound like that (plus I think Margot Kidder did a good job as Lois, too, so it's kind of similar). As for Superman, I get that there are some major differences beteween LnC/other Superman universes. So I do have to stop myself often and quit looking at pictures of Dean Cain. goofy
Posted By: Jude Re: On Character "voice" - 07/09/12 05:18 PM
Here's a suggestion: spend a few hours watching your favorite eps. This always gets the voices, vocabulary choices and language patterns back in my head.

smile Jude
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: On Character "voice" - 07/09/12 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Jude:
Here's a suggestion: spend a few hours watching your favorite eps. This always gets the voices, vocabulary choices and language patterns back in my head.

smile Jude
Great tip, Jude! That always works for me.

I know that sometimes after I've caught up with Smallville my characters start saying things in a different manner (Hence why the words "Wall of Weird" ended up in Another Lois. I believe I was channeling Cloe into Jimmy. laugh How's that for a mixup?) And I believe you (Christina) told me once that I was channeling Christopher Reeves' CK when my Clark corrected Lois' grammar in a certain way. I was like, huh, really? What's he doing in there? clap But it must have happened after I showed my kids Superman 1. I think as long as Clark doesn't start going, "Hey, Dude, that's rad!" I think you're pretty safe. wink
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards