Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#167895 06/12/12 06:29 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I know this has been discussed before, but for the life of me I cannot find where the discussion is located.

If you had a map and wanted to go from Metropolis, New Troy, to Smallville, Kansas, overland, what states would you go across? Is there a hard, fast answer or are all answers to this question the opinion of the writer?

Pat (angelsgmaw)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Pat:

I asked a similar question in my poll: Where in the US is Metropolis?

This site gives you all pictures and detailed info on Metropolis you might need to know: Georgraphy of Metropolis .

I mapquested it for Another Lois and decided it would take two LONG days of driving to get from Kansas to Metropolis (I mapquested to New York and to Newark), which is why I ended up flying Lois to Kansas.

From Kansas to NJ / NY you'd take I-70 to I -76 to I-78 and need cross: Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania into NY / NJ area. Hope this helps.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
From Kansas to NJ / NY you'd take I-70 to I -76 to I-78 and need cross: Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania into NY
One small correction. Traveling on I-70 from Ohio to Pennsylvania, you're going to pass through roughly 12 miles of the northern panhandle of West Virginia. I used to live there. wink

ETA: I've driven I-70 from Colorado to DC and it took four very long days. Day 1 - Denver to Kansas City, Day 2 - Kansas City to Indianapolis, Day 3- Indianapolis to Wheeling (WV), Day 4 - Wheeling to DC. Assuming that Metropolis is in the general vicinity of New York, I'd say it would still take 4 days to drive it.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Sue S.:
From Kansas to NJ / NY you'd take I-70 to I -76 to I-78 and need cross: Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania into NY
One small correction. Traveling on I-70 from Ohio to Pennsylvania, you're going to pass through roughly 12 miles of the northern panhandle of West Virginia. I used to live there. wink
I thought it might. I used to drive it all the time back in my college days, but my brain and the map were fuzzy.

ETA: I've driven I-70 from Colorado to DC and it took four very long days. Day 1 - Denver to Kansas City, Day 2 - Kansas City to Indianapolis, Day 3- Indianapolis to Wheeling (WV), Day 4 - Wheeling to DC. Assuming that Metropolis is in the general vicinity of New York, I'd say it would still take 4 days to drive it.
Don't you mean 3 days if you knock out Colorado to Kansas City?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I think it really depends on the route (and number of hours driving you're willing to put in each day). For example, I went on a cross country trip from Bay Area (CA) to NY in four days drive time. But that's driving straight for over ten hours a day. And then again, there's the stereotype of CA driving rather fast... so we were probably doing on average about 75-80 the entire way. laugh Anyway, I'm about a day or two out from Kansas, so I think three (if Lois is driving) or four days(for just about anybody else) is reasonable to assume for the drive to Kansas from Metropolis. wink

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks so much ladies. I knew this group would know the answers.

Pat

Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by Sue S.:

Those sound like short driving days, unless you run into a lot of traffic. According to Google Maps, it's only about 5.5 hours from Indianapolis to Wheeling, barring traffic. It took roughly 8 hours to drive from southern IL near Metropolis (hehe) to the mountains of southern WV, except when we ran into troubles in Louisville. I think it took us only about 7 to get to Charleston, WV.

Google Maps says 22-23 hours from Wichita to Philadelphia. Two days seem reasonable, unless you're taking the scenic route.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
In my alt world stories, I picked Florence, KS as Smallville. It is 1344.3 mi and 19 hrs, 31 min from Florence to New York by Bing. One of the problems in Kansas is there is a bit of south to north before you can go west to east. We've driven I-70 going east because our daughter lived in Allentown, PA. The road has some slow spots with construction and trying to get through towns. So 3 days of 8 hours driving would cover it. One has to eat and stop occasionally too.
r/
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I used Neodesha, KS as Smallville and Manhattan as Metropolis several times. Mainly for On The Other Hand, I researched the drive fairly extensively and GOOD 2-3 days is reasonable. When Clark and Lana leave for college, they stopped in St. Louis [about 5 hours], somewhere else [about 12 hours] then into Metropolis [another 6-7 hours, iirc], but when Clark, Lois and Lana drove back, they did it in two days, stopping in Indiana overnight.

I think three easy days or two longer days would be pretty realistic.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I had gathered that New Troy was sandwiched in between Virginia and North Carolina, (possibly North Carolina in disguise) with Metropolis on the coast.

As for Smallville I don't specify other than it is about an hour from Wichita.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Top Banana
Top Banana
On L&C the maps of New Troy are very clearly Manhattan - in fact, one of them still had the Hudson River marked on it. eek

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Kerth
Kerth
IMDB says the Superman Returns version is shown on a map in the location of Bayonne, New Jersey.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ah, but Superman Returns is in the Movieverse. And on the map in question, Long Island looks to be missing. peep

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard