Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hello all,

I was thinking that one way to find some of the most interesting fanfic out there would be to ask the authors about their own stories. So... Which one or two of your stories do you think is:

- the best?
- the most fun?
- the most WAFFy?
- the most powerful?
- your own personal favourite?
- the one you would most recommend to others?

I realize that many of those questions may have the same answer, and that some may not be applicable to all authors. (e.g., some authors may never have written anything WAFFy.) Please include links to the relevant stories, either on the archive or to the table of contents on this site.

And since I am asking the questions, I'll start out by giving my own answers:

- the best? Looking In with The Final Piece of the Puzzle not too far behind
- the most fun? The First Fanfic
- the most WAFFy? The two companion pieces: Clark\'s Card and Lois\' Card
- the most powerful? If Looks Could Kill
- your own personal favourite? Looking In
- the one you would most recommend to others? Looking In

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Now there's a set of questions I couldn't answer. laugh
The answer would probably be - the last one I wrote on all counts. It usually is.

But, as a supplement to the interesting answers you're sure to get from other authors, I thought you might be interested in this:

Writers\' Showcase

Over the years, Annette interviewed a whole host of authors for Annesplace and questions about their own stories were included. They don't answer your questions, as such, but they do make for fascinating reading. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi LabRat,

Thanks for the link! Those interviews do look interesting, and I never would have come upon them on my own... Since I don't read nfic, I don't ordinarily visit Annette's site. But I will definitely read some of those interviews.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, Annesplace isn't just about nfic. It does host the Nfic Archive for FoLCdom, but it has a whole load of gfic items to browse through. Well worth checking out.

And, as with the boards, all nfic content is in a separate section, accessed by password, so there's no danger of straying into something you don't want to by accident. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi LabRat,

Thanks for the tip. So much to read oh the MB, the archive, and annesplace -- What to choose first? What a wonderful dilemma to have!

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oooh, a chance to talk about myself! clap

Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:

- the best?
- the most fun?
- the most WAFFy?
- the most powerful?
- your own personal favourite?
- the one you would most recommend to others?

Best:...Hm....ALL OF THEM. No wait. None of them. Um...Can I get back to you on that one? confused

Fun: To write or to read? I had a lot of fun writing Lois and CLark and There Children , but readers might find it less "fun" and more "excruciating". On the other hand, stuff like KRY TV seemed to be popular. And come to think, that was a lot of fun to write, too. laugh

Waffy: Mysteries of Life is probably the waffyest I'll ever be able to manage without getting into chocolatey rainbows and Care Bears rolled in sugar.

Powerful:
Listen . Definitely. I've tried to recapture some of that magic, but it just hasn't been working.

Favorite: Uh...Depends on what day it is, what mood I'm in, and what I had for breakfast that morning. wink I've been pretty enamored with Listen for a while, but I also love to the Martha and Lara series. Then, there's Bridge to the Past , my first long, non-random solo fic. It still needs to be cleaned up a bit. <_<

Recommended to Others: ...None of them. They all suck.

~•~
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Great questions!

- the best? I am most proud of Camera Obscura
- the most fun? The Brassiere Incident or perhaps Lady of the House
- the most WAFFy? In The Still of the Night
- the most powerful? Alienation
- your own personal favourite? Hide and Seek
- the one you would most recommend to others? Hide and Seek

And that covers all but two of my stories. Since my list of works is so short, I'll go ahead and mention them, because I'm proud of both of them too! Damn Good Thing was my very first story and Fuel was my second-to-last one. For now, anyway. I still have hopes of writing a bit more someday. smile

lisa in the sky with diamonds
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thank you Mary and Mrs. Mosley! I had hoped that by starting this thread, some interesting reading would come to light. And I see that it has. smile1

I just finished reading Listen. Wow! Powerful indeed! And it would have been a loooong time before I would have stumbled upon it in the archives otherwise. When I am not going through the Kerth winners, I am reading stories that have been mentioned in a "looking for a fic" thread or elsewhere that have caught my interest.

Thanks for posting it and for pointing it out in this thread. smile

Joy,
Lynn

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Well, in case anyone's interested, I'll answer your questions, Lynn. And because it's interesting to read other people's answers so I probably ought to join in, not because I'm at all bored! laugh

- the best? From the Ruins
- the most fun? Spandex
- the most WAFFy? WAFFy, um, I guess probably No Cars Go . I don't really do much WAFF!
- the most powerful? Again From the Ruins
- your own personal favourite? Definitely From the Ruins
- the one you would most recommend to others? Um, for the fourth time, From the Ruins .

Sorry for including From the Ruins four times, but it probably is the best thing I've ever written (at least so far). Spandex also has two sequels if anyone's interested who hasn't already read them, Spandex II and Spandex III . Personally I don't think they're quite as good, but if you enjoyed Spandex they're worth reading.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I saw this thread and it's been bothering me enough that I decided to take my best shot.

- the best? When the Sky Falls
- the most fun? Santa Surprise
- the most WAFFy? Well, I love the "Door Slams" stories but for pure WAFF I have to pick Why? (But most of my stuff is pretty WAFFY. )
- the most powerful? 100 Meters
- your own personal favorite? Luck and Consequences (It is my first EVER story.)
- the one you would most recommend to others? When the Sky Falls

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The Best? Winner Takes All
The Most Fun? Friends or Lovers?
The Most Waffy? What the Hey You Can't Have Everything
The Most Power) (So Far...) When Churches Come Crashing Down
Personal Favorite (Also Highly Recommended to Others)? Winner Takes All(One of my longest and very emotional)

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
I should do something else - like read some fanfic for a change, but I don't have much free time. I'm just trying to ignore my DD who is being very demanding all day and trying my patience. So, I'm trying to teach her that she has to play alone occasionally.

So, I thought I'd take a stab at this. Here are my answers:

- the best? Not sure. I'd probably vote for Heartbeats and Other Sounds , but I had another story the year I wrote that nominated for a Kerth and that one wasn't, so that probably isn't a view shared by others.
- the most fun? Fighting Dirty . Really the beginning of Breaking Up is Hard to Do was most fun for me to write (but only because I missed the Chad I created in Triangle), but then it got too angsty, that I can't really claim it was the most fun overall.
- the most WAFFy? Don\'t Fall
- the most powerful? Packing Up Home
- your own personal favourite? I don't really know. A long one for sure as I'm always prouder of myself for finishing those. I like re-reading some of the shorter ones, but when I re-read the long ones, I recall the feeling of accomplishment I had with those and I typically don't have that with one-shots.
- the one you would most recommend to others? No idea. I can only tell you that the first one I wrote, A Conversation Best Overheard, was one I'd suggest staying far away from as it was really awful (which is why I didn't include a link here). But aside from thinking that pretty much all the others are better, I don't know which one I'd recommend, if any.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard