Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Top Banana
Top Banana
It was Perry who chose her to mentor Clark because of the experience she had.
I checked the pilot scripts but couldn't find a reference to Perry telling Lois to mentor Clark. Did he tell her to do that in a later episode? Maybe someone can reference it in Lynn's absence?

thanks

c.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I checked the pilot scripts but couldn't find a reference to Perry telling Lois to mentor Clark. Did he tell her to do that in a later episode?
Just time for a quick post. She chose to work with Clark during the pilot script. Perry chose to partner her them in Requiem for a Superhero.

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks for taking the time to check, Lynn smile It sounds like you've got a busy week ahead.

c.

J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I've been following the discussion between Carol and Lynn and just want to add my 2 cents. I agree that Lois was hard to love in S1. She was all prickles and hard edges, but it was her independence and feistiness that drew many of us to become folcs. I was never a Superman fan or a Clark Kent groupie, but I found Lois a refreshing heroine who was more than a victim yelling "Help, Superman." She was strong and fearless with a defined goal and a work ethic designed to achieve it--truly an icon for the nineties.

As a secondary matter, Lynn , you said that in the pilot script, Lois chose to work with Clark Kent. I don't know what the script said, but that wasn't my recollection of the episode, so I watched the 2 hour pilot last night. As we know scripts often varied, but canon is what was shown in the episode. Lois doesn't really 'choose' to work with Clark so much as he is thrust upon her. She asks Perry for a task force to work on the space shuttle story. He says she can take Jimmy. She asks for someone else who is not available, and Perry says "Take Kent." She retorts that she won't work with a hack from Smallville, adding "I couldn't make that up." Perry says it's Kent or nothing, so she acquiesses saying "Never let it be said that Lois Lane is not a team player."

To me, that's not 'choosing' to work with Clark. Maybe you interpret it differently. But her snappy dialog is another of the reasons I thought she was great. At the end of the pilot, having tested Clark and found him useful, she takes him along on her next story. In that sense, I think you could say she chose him to work for her.

As for which character I don't like to write for, I find writing for Superman is the hardest because he isn't real. I can get inside the heads of all the others, including Clark, but not Superman.

At least, that's how I see it. wink

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
As for which character I don't like to write for, I find writing for Superman is the hardest because he isn't real. I can get inside the heads of all the others, including Clark, but not Superman.
That's really interesting, Jude. To be able to get inside Clark's head but not Superman's. It's funny, isn't it, the way the mind works. I guess I don't distinquish between them. For me, it's always Clark's thoughts inside Superman's head. (If that made any sense laugh )

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Hi M.L., wave
I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right. I've always regarded Clark as human and Superman as that demi-god. What was it Clark told Lois? Something like, "Superman is what I can do, Clark is who I am." That may not be quite accurate, but the sense is there. Anyway, that's how I've always thought of the two of them. Perhaps I should try looking at Superman from a different perspective?

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Perhaps I should try looking at Superman from a different perspective?
Funny. After your comment, I've been attempting to think about Superman from your perspective. laugh

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
R
Rac Offline
Columnist
Columnist
R
This may be surprising to anyone who's read 'The Longest Road' stories, but I hate writing Dr. Friskin. She's a great character and I love trying to give her a backstory and writing little insights into who she is. I view her as a very typical Metropolitan (by which I really mean New Yorker, I don't care what canon says, Metropolis is New York as far as I'm concerned). But I am not a shrink. I don't know what it is that shrinks learn in shrink school and so I really just have to make stuff up and not worry too much if it's not realistic. Since I like getting the details right, it's very frustrating.

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
But I am not a shrink. I don't know what it is that shrinks learn in shrink school and so I really just have to make stuff up
Rac, that is very ironic, since I've been using your work as the gold standard for Dr. Friskin. Your story is so convincing - Dr. Friskin is always acting in a way I'd expect a psychologist to act - that I was so sure that you were a professional therapist or had training. I guess I shouldn't feel too intimidated about making stuff up, huh?

As for me, I don't think I've written enough to know which characters I hate to write. However, I've shied away from Martha and Jonathan more than once. I didn't feel I could do them right.

R
Rac Offline
Columnist
Columnist
R
Oh, and I also really, really hate writing Sam Lane. I see him as an irredeemable character and I frankly can't stand him. Granted, he's more socially tolerable than Ellen (but I blame Ellen's attitude of constantly playing the victim largely on Sam), but his narcissism, self-centeredness, misogyny, and obliviousness are all just such grating character traits.

Rac

Kerth
Kerth
Don't think I hate any of them, but I don't seem to be able to write a successful Lex - in my stories which mention him (Superman Returns and Smallville crossovers) he's died three times. I think the same would happen if I tried to write him for the L&C verse.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard