I've been following the discussion between Carol and Lynn and just want to add my 2 cents. I agree that Lois was hard to love in S1. She was all prickles and hard edges, but it was her independence and feistiness that drew many of us to become folcs. I was never a Superman fan or a Clark Kent groupie, but I found Lois a refreshing heroine who was more than a victim yelling "Help, Superman." She was strong and fearless with a defined goal and a work ethic designed to achieve it--truly an icon for the nineties.

As a secondary matter, Lynn , you said that in the pilot script, Lois chose to work with Clark Kent. I don't know what the script said, but that wasn't my recollection of the episode, so I watched the 2 hour pilot last night. As we know scripts often varied, but canon is what was shown in the episode. Lois doesn't really 'choose' to work with Clark so much as he is thrust upon her. She asks Perry for a task force to work on the space shuttle story. He says she can take Jimmy. She asks for someone else who is not available, and Perry says "Take Kent." She retorts that she won't work with a hack from Smallville, adding "I couldn't make that up." Perry says it's Kent or nothing, so she acquiesses saying "Never let it be said that Lois Lane is not a team player."

To me, that's not 'choosing' to work with Clark. Maybe you interpret it differently. But her snappy dialog is another of the reasons I thought she was great. At the end of the pilot, having tested Clark and found him useful, she takes him along on her next story. In that sense, I think you could say she chose him to work for her.

As for which character I don't like to write for, I find writing for Superman is the hardest because he isn't real. I can get inside the heads of all the others, including Clark, but not Superman.

At least, that's how I see it. wink

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell