Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I'm a bit confused about this. I think maybe I read all this stuff and get to thinking too much about what it means.

Anyway, from the Kerth Site: FAQs
If a story is nominated in more than three categories, who decides which categories it actually makes the ballot in?

The nominations staff of K-Com makes that decision, taking into account the number of nominations in each category (not counting multiple category nominations from the same people) and the categories that the story best fits into.
Here's the part that has me confused:
(not counting multiple category nominations from the same people)
Now that reads to me like any story I might nominate in more than 3 categories will be eliminated ("not counted"). Is that true?

Now I'm quite likely to nominate a story in 3 categories plus also in Best Overall (have done so in the past too). If a story is a Best Overall contender, it very probably also qualifies for at least 3 other categories. Maybe more. smile

So had we better limit ouselves to no more than 3 noms per story if we want our nominations to count?

c.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Carol, I’m sorry for taking awhile to answer this. I have been very busy with work. frown

The Kerth rules state that a story may be nominated in two categories plus the Overall category. When nominations are received they are all counted. If a story is nominated in several categories, the two categories it has the most votes in will be the categories it will receive nominations for.

All stories are eligible for the Overall category. smile1

FoLCs should nominate stories in all the categories they feel the stories belong.

Tricia cool

ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks, Tricia, for your reply. smile You mean work is more important than... Who knew? laugh

Just to clarify:
The Kerth rules state that a story may be nominated in two categories plus the Overall category.
That refers only to the nominations that appear on the final ballot right, and not on the nominations submitted by we readers?

c.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
smile1 That's right, Carol!

Tricia cool

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Jumping in late and unnecessarily smile Please disregard the specifics of the example, I was just pulling category names out of a hat.

Carol, imagine this. You nominate story X in Epic, Drama, and Best Overall. Lots of other people nominate it, too, in more than three categories, total. If the K-Com, when sorting out the nominations, thinks it fits better in Epic than Drama, for instance, then the noms that the story receives in both categories count -- *but* your two nominations only get counted once. If they decide it fits better in Comedy, where you hadn't nominated it, your nomination moves over there with the story and gets counted along with the noms it got in that category.

Basically, you can nominate any story to any category, and that nomination is always considered, but you can't count for *two* noms for the same story in the same category, if it gets moved after nominations are in.

At least that's how we used to do it. Make sense? K-Com, is that a fair answer? smile

PJ
retired K-com member wink

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Pam, I'm totally confused again.

It sounds like my nominations would count wherever K-Com wanted them to count rather than where I actually nominated them.
That can't be right, can it?

Here are the bits that confused me:

You nominate story X in Epic, Drama, and Best Overall. Lots of other people nominate it, too, in more than three categories, total. If the K-Com, when sorting out the nominations, thinks it fits better in Epic than Drama, for instance, then the noms that the story receives in both categories count -- *but* your two nominations only get counted once.
So although I nominated the story in both "Epic" and "Drama" , it will only count in one then? Then why bother to nominate the story in more than one category?

If they decide it fits better in Comedy, where you hadn't nominated it, your nomination moves over there with the story and gets counted along with the noms it got in that category.
But why would it be counted in a category where I thought it didn't fit? If I thought it deserved to be nominated there, I would do that on my nominations form. Have to say I'm uncomfortable with having my vote counted in a category where I'd never intended it to count.

Basically, you can nominate any story to any category, and that nomination is always considered, but you can't count for *two* noms for the same story in the same category, if it gets moved after nominations are in.
Not following this at all. Of course it makes sense not to count any nomination more than once in one specific category. So that part 's okay. But why's my nomination getting moved?

so confused frown

c.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Carol, sorry for your confusion. frown Nominations are not moved from one category to another.

All nominations in every category are counted. If a story is nominated in several categories, the two categories it has the most votes in will be the categories it appears on the nomination ballot.

Tricia cool

ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks, Tricia. smile That makes sense. Now to get to it.

And thanks, K-Com, for all your efforts on the Kerths. They still are a great thing after all these years.

carol

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard