Print Thread
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What? You didn't think I was going to make it easy for him, did you? goofy

And please - no threats to shoot the dog. That would be very mean.

And this one is dedicated to Pel - the closest I'm ever likely to get to posting a birthday fic.

Happy Birthday, Amigo! party

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. drool Beautiful! hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Merriwether
Merriwether
I totally loved the bit you put in about the dog - perfect!!!
thumbsup

I had some hope welling up inside of me when she spoke of her fondness of CK (Corn Festival..)

Clark stared at her, torn in two by the swirl of emotions battling tempestuously inside him. The storm was less frigid now, but no less violent.
Awesome wording!!!

He reached out a trembling hand, fitting his palm to the soft curve of her cheek.
Such a gentle...delicate move. It seems like if she did one quick move away she'd break his heart. My crumbeled heart bore more hurt. I think my heart is unidentifiable now, even by medical means.

He closed his eyes tight, fighting back the sting of tears.
I always have the biggest want for Clark to cry, I have no idea why....well I could get into some heavy psychology here, but I won't. I'll save you all from that horrid trip. I was just waiting for a tear to hit Lois' cheek and wake her up.... mecry

He had no more right to clip her wings than Luthor did.
I am really partial to that quote. I love the comparion that was created in Clark's (your!) mind.

You are good at breaking a girl's heart - notworthy - way to go!!!!!!!!

I'll go find what's left...........oh there's half a red blood cell!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hey!! I was right-- she wanted help getting out of the Lex-induced predicament. She already knew she couldn't, wouldn't marry Lex-- she just wanted to know how to let him down easy (Hee, hee, as if he'd actually be heartbroken!). Now see, if only Clark had been paying attention in part 5, all of the gentle readers could have rested easy these last couple of days. All that angst (among the readers) could have been avoided! wink

Oooh, and then poor Clark can't help it, and gives in to the desire to kiss her... thumbsup rotflol

There aren't enough emoticons to demonstrate how funny I thought that was--I had to get up and leave the computer for a moment, I was laughing so hard.

Then, you have the wary, hatches-battened-down Lois and the remorseful Clark actually getting beyond those knee-jerk reactions and managing to be comfortable enough in their friendship to share the couch. The dog's presence is fine with me, Labby-- if he was out there wandering around in your blizzard, I'm glad you brought him inside. He really doesn't hamper the story at all-- heck, old or not, without Clark's super senses he could actually turn into an assett, if he can act the watchdog. He probably won't mind the soup, either. laugh

If something breath-taking happens in part 7, like Clark floats or Lois dreams a really... good... dream about Clark and then acts it out wink ... well, dogs could care less. They don't make good chaperones, which is just fine. Dogboy can just sleep away... although knowing Clark, whatever happens in part 7, he won't just leave the dog behind when they leave the cabin. Hmmm... we've seen Lois and the cat(s), how about Lois and the dog?

Really, the only thing I could see that could become a problem for you, Lab, is that we're all going to want to see some resolution on the Superman thing, the intermittent powers/will they return thing, the who's-behind-the-kryptonite thing, the what's-gonna-happen-with-their-shooters thing, and the whatever-became-of-the-dog thing. You might get stuck with a... dare I say it?... a sequel. Unless, of course, Clark's powers come back, he flies them home and kicks some crime-ring butt... but what about the dog and the kryptonite? Hmmm, I'm eager to see how you wrap this all up!

What a great read!

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
N
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
N
The tap dance they're doing around one another leaves me so wistful. Or maybe it's Clark who's so wistful. Either way. At least they're close.

As feedback, I can't really tell what Lois is thinking. Her feelings are a blank slate to me except for her enjoyment of the kiss. She acknowledges her concern for Clark as he goes out the door but anything more is still obscured. Is that where you intend for us to be or are we supposed to feel an inkling? With one part to go, it'll take quite a revelation to move her from friend to lover....but then, again, this is you writing. It'll be an epic in a teapot. (Or something like that).

Marvelous--and....More!
Sherry

Visit www.marykay.com/sfmurphy for wonderful cosmetic products and an opportunity to enrich the lives of women.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nooooo! /me runs around in circles

<sigh> Of course you wouldn't make it easy, eh.

Oh well, at least nature's finest dog is making an appearance! Um, well more like nature's laziest in my house, but that's okay.

JD
goofy

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
Aww, his introspection is so poignant. Their kiss was.. really moving. I can't believe you put that dog there. <g>

By the way, poor dog! I always feel so bad for animals that get stuck in such bad weather. frown Good thing Lois and Clark were there, along with a nice roaring fire. smile

I can't wait for the last part!!!!

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice Lab. Looking forward to more soon. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great part, Lab! This one was full of surprises.

Anna Nicole. clap

Then, just as poor Clark is in such a bittersweet position... the kiss. Nice!!

Then, broken by the oddly funny tension of the howl. I love Lois's thoughts about horror movie cliches.

And then... Homer!! laugh !! You scared Lois with Homer!! rotflol

... Wait a sec. Was Homer the one in the tree before? You said he likes to climb trees, right?

Aww, but then Lois had to go and close up again. <pout> Oh, well. It'll be fixed later, right? At least Clark handled it well, and, more importantly, Lois understood!

Nice bit with the couch banter, too. smile Cool to see, and it should get Lois to thinking. I hope. Clearly, the way Clark is thinking, the next move is going to have to be hers.

Speaking of which... ouch, poor Clark. Although it is a little harder to sympathize knowing that a good deal of that pain is caused by his own lunkheadedness.

Well, the nice thing is that, unlike Clark, I know that the next part of the story will be the last (which is good and bad...). So, I can rest assured that things will shortly be better. (Right? If not, I see a new FoLC collaberation in the future. "101 Ways to Serve Rat"... wink )

Looking forward, as ever, to seeing more. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Kerth
Kerth
Good part! hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Top Banana
Top Banana
please - no threats to shoot the dog.
Labby, if you don't come back here and fix this, we may have to shoot an animal, but it won't be a dog! A rodent, perhaps?... You are breaking my heart here. Poor Clark. mecry

I haven't much to add that hasn't been said above. Your writing style is *so* enjoyable to read. This is one of those stories I read through slowly, savoring every word. Then, I go back and read it again.

I'm sorry I didn't get around to posting fdk for the previous chapter, but I do want to say that I am thoroughly enjoying this story.

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Merriwether
Merriwether
*sniff*sniff* Poor Clark. Shutting himself out before he can even open the door. Hopefully Lois will come to her senses and make the lunkhead see reason. I love how Lois has realized exactly what sort of life she'd have with Lex. I can't see how you can resolve this with one more part, but I think I've said that about your stories before, and you've pulled off the seemingly impossible. But it does look like it's crying for a sequel. wink

I'm still trying to imagine Jason in a ski mask. But hey, there's a blizzard out there, he just might be wearing one over his hockey mask. laugh

I can't wait to see the (sniff) final part!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow, this section was so painful... that steamy, wonderful, gorgeous kiss in the middle, but the rest of it was just heart-wrenching. Well, except for the bits that were hysterical...
"Weren't you listening to anything I just said?" she said, with some asperity.
goofy Go on, Clark, own up! Hey, I knew you should've been listening!

His tone had taken on an increasingly bitter note as he spoke.
Please, please... tell me that, since she's just accused him of not listening to her, she'll have been listening to this... and even if it didn't strike her right away, at some stage she'll work out just how jealous he is? Pleeeaaaaase? whinging

And without the compensations.
No, hang on a cotton-pickin' minute here - no compensations?!? Belgian chocolate, French croissants, Thai curry, Shanghai dim sum, sunsets on a remote Pacific island, not to mention (since this is the gfic side, after all) the [Linked Image] - no, you're right, Lois will just have nothing to live for... dizzy

Mere
(Raid Andreia's emoticon store - who, me?)

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe not shoot the dog, but feed it peanut butter and put masking tape on his feet... grumble stupid dog....

*Sigh* love cuddling on the couch...to bad it didn't GO anywhere

Loving this story Lab, sniffles, stupid dog, and all.

TEEEEEJ

Top Banana
Top Banana
I love dogs. Honestly, I do. And I'd never think to leave a poor, graying sweety out in the middle of the snow. But can I tell you that I screamed out loud when that...creature!...showed up and interupted my big moment?!

So close...so very, very close. grumble

Yeah, I, too, am very glad to see that Lois has her head screwed on right about Lex. She's no dummy, and it's even cooler that she decides all on her own that she's going to say 'no'.

But poor, big dumb alien Clark. Why does he think he is no better than Lex in what he can offer her? He loves her. That is everything!!

One more section to kick the dog out the door, have Clark wake up and realize that he's the best thing to ever happen to Lois, and for them to get back to some serious smoochies!

Great part, Lab. thumbsup

Lynn

PS - Mere, who's Stephen Dondaldson? I like that word - lambent. I feel like it totally captures the warm glow of firelight in the cozy cabin. Does it mean something bad? /me runs off to grab her dictionary before she embarasses herself.

L.

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Mere, who's Stephen Dondaldson?
Lynn, he wrote a couple of best-selling fantasy trilogies back in the 80s (the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant). He had a habit of describing everything as either lambent, coruscating or argent - or occasionally all three. It became a standing joke among fantasy readers.

It's a minority reaction to what is, as you say, a lovely word. I shouldn't have mentioned it. Apologies to Rat. frown

Mere

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
Top Banana
Top Banana
Now, a small, selfish part of him dared to voice the dark, demeaning hope that perhaps he could be free of the superhero once and for all. And if there was no Superman...might friends become...something more? If he had more to offer her...if he had time to spare her...all the time in the world to make her all that was important to him in the world, only her and no one else. If he could only love her as he longed to, if he could only show her how much she meant to him...
Ah man....man. Man! whinging

This was beautiful, sensual, and so, so sad. I think I already said you made my heart ache, but I'll have to use this again here, as well.

Love the mix of emotions, the funny in with the poignant. The dog! And werewolves!! And poor Clark taking the crumbs of whatever he can with Lois.

Man...you're killing me. In the best possible way.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for the full comments folder, everyone! Glad you're still having fun. Doggus Interruptus, notwithstanding.

I'll go find what's left...........oh there's half a red blood cell!
ROTFL, Roo!

THIS is the patented Lois babbling (albeit mental) at it's absolute, gold-plated finest!!. Labby, this section deserves to be carved in stone and hung up in the halls of Great Fanfic, to be forever remembered by all Folcdom.
Awwwwww, Toc. I think that's one of the sweetest comments anyone has ever given me. Thank you. thumbsup

But the best, THE BEST part, was this:
LOL. Well, I'm glad you had fun with that because it was a very, very late addition that I just popped in at the last minute as it occurred to me. It amused me at the time, so delighted it did you, too.

we're all going to want to see some resolution on the Superman thing, the intermittent powers/will they return thing, the who's-behind-the-kryptonite thing, the what's-gonna-happen-with-their-shooters thing, and the whatever-became-of-the-dog thing.
Hmmmmmmmm. Let's see. 1. Check. 2. Well, we already know that one – it was Lex and Mrs. Cox (I lifted that k attack at the bank straight from HOL). 3. Check – albeit without much detail and in an entirely cavalier fashion <g>. 4. Check. Yup, that all seems to be in place. Oh, look...no sequel necessary. laugh

Her feelings are a blank slate to me except for her enjoyment of the kiss. She acknowledges her concern for Clark as he goes out the door but anything more is still obscured. Is that where you intend for us to be
Yup. <g> Don't worry, you'll hear more from her...just walk this way to part seven. wink

Um, well more like nature's laziest in my house, but that's okay.
Laziest in my house too, Jen.

And then... Homer!! !! You scared Lois with Homer!!
ROTFLMAO! Well...almost, Paul. Homer isn't quite as old and decrepit as Doggus Interruptus. But otherwise he was pretty much the model for him. And, no – our tree-climbing lab was called Patch, many moons distant now. Homer is too much of a wuss to ever want to climb a tree. He can't even bring himself to jump fences without experiencing emotional trauma.

If not, I see a new FoLC collaberation in the future. "101 Ways to Serve Rat"... )
Labby, if you don't come back here and fix this, we may have to shoot an animal, but it won't be a dog! A rodent, perhaps?...
Eeeep. /me tucks her tail out of harm's way, just in case. And thank you, Vicki, for the lovely compliment. Made my day. smile

I'm still trying to imagine Jason in a ski mask. But hey, there's a blizzard out there, he just might be wearing one over his hockey mask.
ROTFL, Karen! Can you tell I'm not a fan of those movies? Now...wondering whether to correct it or not. Maybe Lois isn't a fan either and this is just one of her confusions. <g>

I can't see how you can resolve this with one more part, but I think I've said that about your stories before, and you've pulled off the seemingly impossible. But it does look like it's crying for a sequel.
Ye-es. Lynn said you'd say that. <g> But, nope. No sequel. All will (or should) become clear when you read part seven and I think you'll see then why this is only one more part. I'm heading in a different direction to most of you, you see, that's all. So although I'm tingling all over at your compliments, it's thoroughly unjustified. It was, in fact, very easy to wrap this one up in just one more segment and didn't require any great skill at all. Darn, shouldn't have said that, should I? Should have just kept quiet and let you all think I was really clever. wink

TJ: Masking tape? Peanut butter? rotflol

Wow, this section was so painful... that steamy, wonderful, gorgeous kiss in the middle, but the rest of it was just heart-wrenching. Well, except for the bits that were hysterical...
LOL, Mere. Ran the full halibut of emotion then... <g> Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the explanation on Stephen Donaldson. Afraid, until you posted, the reference had somewhat gone over my head – I've never read his novels and have only the vaguest knowledge about him as an author. Back in the day, I never read SD's novels, only because I received a twenty page rant from a friend who had, who was practically foaming at the mouth with outrage at the plot choices. wink I decided then they weren't for me, and looks like I have nothing to regret there. laugh Funny how different associations attach themselves to words. For me, lambent has always been a favourite word. Partly because I agree with Lynn – it provokes the atmosphere of warm cosiness for me. And partly because it has associations for me which are rather fond memories.

One more section to kick the dog out the door, have Clark wake up and realize that he's the best thing to ever happen to Lois, and for them to get back to some serious smoochies!
LOL, Lynn. Ya think? <g>

CC – thanks for finding the time, as always.

And finally:

With one part to go, it'll take quite a revelation to move her from friend to lover....but then, again, this is you writing. It'll be an epic in a teapot. (Or something like that).
ROTFL! Thanks for the vote of confidence. But...well I won't spoil the final part for you, but suffice to say, as I mentioned above, it may not run along the lines you expect. I had a specific goal in mind for this story and I suspect it's not heading where most of you think it is. Er...I think that means RAFO. <g>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard