Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I have ideas rolling around in my head again dizzy . Not sure if that's a good thing or not. evil

Any help is great! I'd do my own research but I'd much rather hear directly from you guys what you like and don't like.

SQD (who is off the give away her money to the bill collectors cat )

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Spoilers for certain fics ahead wink .

While waiting for the nom list, I've had assorted fic readathons [AnnieM, Bethy so far] now ML. Her Cause and Effect has Lois knowing enough about Clark to get in touch with him if she wanted to [his real name, from Smallville, KS is plenty to go on] but chooses not to for that very reason - he's a drifter etc. so definitely doable. Don't think I've read Not a Day, but tis on my list now wink .

As for rafting... What you've got sounds good to me, but what do I know? wink .

Carol /dancing at the thought of new SQD fic/

Kerth
Kerth
Since you have Clark be in his drifter stage, you can just as well assume that he works as a rafting tour guide for the summer (or whatever season). He might even wear his hair long and maybe sport a beard, accentuating his drifter status.

The tricky part would be why Lois is on such a trip. Your best bet would be to have her there because of a story.

Suggestions:
1) Lois has heard about some strange rescues / a forest fire that inexplicably stopped burning or anything else related to Clarks 'stunts'.

2) Maybe someone is playing Robin Hood in the area, relieving the (usually rich clientele of the rafting tours) of their valuables or even do some kidnapping? Even Clark might be new to the post because his predecessor has previously been kidnapped, too.

Just a thought for this second scenario: If you really want to complicate matters, you have Lois already engaged to Luthor. So, she might be there (officially) as the future Mrs. Luthor in order to attract the thugs' attention. Of course, with Lois being pregnant, her engagement to Luthor will be null and void. He would never accept to raise a child not his own.

In each of these scenarios, Lois would be rather unhappy about the rafting itself, but we all know she would go to any lenghts for a story. Being her usual competitive self, she would feel that she had to prove herself to the rest of her group, especially if this tour was full of competitions. What if they announced (and celebrated) the winner(s) of the day each evening or some such?

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Kerth
Kerth
Oooh! A SQD fic! clap

I've done a little river rafting in the following places:

Lower Yough (pronounced "Yock") in Ohiopyle, PA.

Snake River outside of Jackson Hole, WY (my family does this one every summer and it's a kick)

Of course, for the ultimate in river rafting (at least in the continental US), there's the Colorado River in Arizona. I've rafted the Colorado outside of Moab, UT, but that's nothing compared to what happens when you take it through the Grand Canyon. The Colorado also takes you past Havasu Falls where the water really is that blue and relatively warm (compared to the Colorado).

The only place I can think of where you would have hot spots along the river is the Firehole River in Yellowstone National Park, but I don't believe there are any rapids there worth rafting.

If you want specific info/first hand accounts, you know where to find me. laugh

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Are we allowed out of the country for this story? Best rafting river, or at least the most dangerous I've done so far is Kicking Horse River in B.C...it will knock your socks off!

Green River by Park City, Utah is also a good trip. Class III, so it's juuuust exciting enough to be a thriller, but nowhere near the death trap that Kicking Horse was. Even my mom likes it. :p

If you want to stick them in the middle of nowhere, there's plenty of rafting down the Kenai and is just a train-hop away from the Girdwood station in Alaska. There's plenty of rivers in that area where you can get out and walk around the shore, and it's a lot more...let's commune with nature and bird-watch, etc. Oh, and rafting in and out of the glaciers is just gorgeous.

My quick rafting .02. Come find me if you want them to take on any 10 foot rafting waves. laugh
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Following up on Shadow's suggestion re the Green River: the 44 mile trip on the Green River through Lodore Canyon is a 4 day raft trip through some truly spectacular scenery. It's also a Class III trip, which makes it exciting, but not overwhelming for a novice. Equally important, there are few bugs or other unpleasant critters to ruin a romantic mood. As far as I know, there aren't any hot springs or pools along the way, but the temperature is hot enough during the day to make the coolness of the water in shallow pools very comfortable.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hey hey, SQD!!

I agree that Lois needs to go rafting for a story. How about this -- she needs to get onto some private property, and learns that the river is the only access that the public has to that land. I know when my Dad goes fishing in Montana and the Canadian Rockies, there is sometimes a part of the river that is technically "private," but some guides befriend the property owner so they can gain access to it. Perhaps Clark is the only person that can pass through one particular area that Lois needs to investigate.

This might also be a reason for Lois and Clark to "get close." Maybe she is asking him so many questions about the land/the area/the property owner, he perceives it as flirting.

Also maybe you can set it up that Clark's tour provides 2-person tents, and there are couples and twosomes of friends on the trip, so somehow Lois is the "odd man out" and must bunk with Clark??

There are such things as a "hot spring," which is basically a natural hot tub. I would think Clark would have to tell Lois about the location of one of these, because certain kinds of hot springs might not be safe to go into (too hot, too dangerous, etc). Yellowstone National Park has this kind of geology.

Very excited to see your newest project!!
WD

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard