Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#161090 12/10/08 05:50 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
This is for just a little throwaway moment in my upcoming fic, but I'd like to ask the purse-owners out there:

What's the weirdest, or oddest thing that is now, or has been, in your purse?

#161091 12/10/08 06:04 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A stethoscope. A reflex hammer. An otoscope. But then again, I'm a med student.

Non-medicine-related, I'd have to say one of those stress-reliever squishy things, shaped like a cow, with spots and udders and everything. Oh, and once I had two shot glasses in it. Didn't feel like carrying a stupidly small bag around all day.

Wait - the best one was a squirrel call. I kid you not. Kinda like a bird call, but for squirrels. Appropriate, huh? wink

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~Dr. Seuss
#161092 12/10/08 06:30 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Let's see, a pocket tool, doggy doo bags, doggy treats (I have a dog, okay?) 2 bottles of aspirin, tape measure, compass, TP, folding scissors, wire ties, space blanket, hand warmer, other people's business cards, calculator, note pad, cell phone, iPod.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#161093 12/10/08 06:31 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Phoebe had a goldfish and a shoe... wink

Me?

Um...

No, um...

Well...

Do old receipts count? Gift cards? One earring?

No?

Well, that's about the oddest thing I got...

Carol

#161094 12/10/08 07:12 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I usually have an exacto knife and double-sided tape in my purse. Sometimes glue-stick. (I'm a graphic designer. goofy ) Oh and some little dinosaurs from a pinata we popped at least 2 years ago.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#161095 12/10/08 07:15 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Now if you'd asked about the diaper bag...

Missed the 'ever' thing.

But still not coming up with anything - will have to ponder that...

#161096 12/10/08 07:33 PM
Columnist
Columnist
A pregnancy test!

I buy them often at the dollar store (that third child is not wanting to come into existence) and I left one in my purse for over a month. I had forgotten about it until a few days ago when I was looking through my purse at work.

laugh My manager thought it was funny.

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
#161097 12/10/08 08:59 PM
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
Vials with old chemistry experiments in them. One was coper and one was purified aspirin iirc....

Now my mother... a collection of little plastic martini swords... flu shots...

Sara "Lieta"
#161098 12/10/08 11:35 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, my goodness, I get teased about carrying the kitchen sink in my purse. Ever been to one of those wedding or baby showers when they see who has everything in their purse on the pre-prepared list? I always win.

I can't think of the weirdest thing I ever had in my purse, but let's see - right now, I have a hemostat in my purse (great for getting those paper jams out of printers but I can't let the kids I take care of see them because they'd immediately think of something else), I have dental floss in my purse, a couple of eye patches and I think I still have the one with the skull and cross bones on it that I used at Halloween. I have 'office supplies' in my purse - paper clips, etc. I haven't, at least, carried a stapler in awhile. I have been known to carry stethoscopes, blood pressure cuffs, and back in the days when nurses still wore those silly caps - my cap.

Okay, EDIT: I just thought of the weirdest thing ever in my purse (but not on purpose). When I lived in Puerto Rico, I had the misfortune of sitting my purse on or near a spider egg sac ready to 'hatch'. I had 100's of itty bitty spiders in my purse. I hate spiders, but I must admit having to face them like that took some of my fear away. I guess it's a good thing I found them fairly quickly though, because otherwise, I might have had our resident 10 inch lizard in my purse - he/she loved an easy meal.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#161099 12/11/08 04:05 AM
C
Features Writer
Features Writer
C
shock shock I had to empty the entire bag before I got rid of it!

<shudders> I hate cockroaches!

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
#161100 12/11/08 06:24 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Hmmm...

Tweezers. A mini stereo jack converter. Batteries.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
#161101 12/11/08 08:43 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
A finger puppet. (A mouse named Mr. Whitey, before he turned grey). I'm sure there've been computer-related bits in there, but I can't think of any off-hand, other than my flash drive.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#161102 12/11/08 10:25 AM
T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
And my wife wonders why I refuse to look in her purse for anything.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#161103 12/11/08 01:14 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I had to empty the entire bag before I got rid of it!
Yeah, I had to do that, too. And I also hate roaches. In Puerto Rico, they were HUGE (thanks to the lizards for eating them). Once there was one on the ceiling of the car I was in and I got so freaked out I tried to get out - with the car moving. Thank goodness for seat belts and the person in the back seat grabbing me.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#161104 12/11/08 02:29 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Somethings I've had in my purse that aren't usual would be a pair of pliers. My headlight was out and I can't get it out to replace without using pliers. Then when I travel I carry a pretty big purse so since I wanted to take my camera gear on as my carry on I stuck several days worth of under garmets and the barest of make-up in my purse.(Friends had suggested this since the airline had lost their luggage for a day or two) Of course as Murphy's Law must kick in I was pulling my wallet out at the car rental desk and the underwear started coming out also. The woman at the desk had a good laugh but said she had seen similar things before. Next time I made sure to have room in my camera bag to put the underwear.

I don't find it so unusual what most women carry but I've heard some men ask women for some unusual things just assuming we carry everything in the word in our purses. I had a guy ask me for a screw driver once. Hey I carry tools in my car but not my purse. Do you guys have any idea how heavy a purse is with standard stuff.

#161105 12/11/08 02:46 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I don't know how weird this is, but at various times I've carried a screwdriver, a Superman S-image flashlight as well as my mag flashlight, a laser pointer, a tire-pressure gauge, the fold-up keyboard for my PDA, various office supplies like magic markers and a stapler, mosquito stick and repellent.... I don't think you can count the stuff I shoved in for a moment to get from one place to another: a sandwich, a soft drink, a DVD, videotape, and CD, as well as various folders. And, yes, this was my purse, not a brief case or tote. Never had bugs of any kind, though...

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
#161106 12/11/08 04:10 PM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
My brother sent me an actual lock pick, which is currently in my purse. After visiting my son's family, I found one of my grandson's toy cars and a child's sock in my purse, and yesterday I fished a 4 day old fortune cookie out of it. I also have a very nice led flashlight, as well as a Buck folding knife, in it, but I consider that standard equipment. Does that qualify?

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#161107 12/11/08 04:19 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
How about a toothbrush?

I carry a very small purse with the idea that when one of the kids ask me to carry something I can tell them, "No. There's no room."

In my pockets, however, I make sure that I carry eight pony tail holders all summer long.

I try to keep everything I need in my purse without any extras. I always have a brush, identification, a check book, a pen, an emergency supply of feminine hygeine, lipstick, foundation, rouge, and a small scissors. Rarely is there cash, but that isn't because of space limitations.

But I never leave home without a toothbrush. I just hate to get food inside my horn...

Elisabeth
PS MIL always carried a roll of toilet paper.

#161108 12/11/08 08:57 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have a combination lock and a pack of paper clips. They come in handy at work. laugh

There are some small shells and beads from a bracelet that broke over the summer in a small compartment... Perhaps it's time to take those out.

I also usually put my trash in my purse or pocket when there's no bin around, so various little paper bags and candy wraps.

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#161109 12/12/08 12:49 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Well, in winter time, I usually stuff all the stuff into the pockets of my jacket. I hipe that counts, too. smile Right now, there are some chewing gums, the papers that were left behind from said chewing gums, a pen, a sheet of paper with an address on it that I really don't want to visit, a piece of the lantern my daughter made in kindergarten (it fell off, and it somehow ended up in my pocket).

And whenever I go somewhere knowing I'll have ample time for my hobby, I take with me a not yet finished friendship bracelet, two or three safety pins (one or two for fastening the bracelet, one for untying wrong knots), scissors, extra thread (in case I run out of a color) and, of course, a piece of paper with the current design on it. Fortunately, most of the time I only have to pack all the bracelet-making stuff into my backpack. smile

Then, again, I have another safety pin in my wallet (just in case I need one and don't have one with me). Additionally, I carry two beading needles around in it. The problem is that they always get lost when I put them somewhere at home, so I decided that my wallet would be the best place to keep them... huh

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard