Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#160403 10/20/08 03:17 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Okay, I've got a delimma with a story, so I figured the best place to bring it is to the readers. I asked about this one time before and was given just as many ideas... I wanted to ask one more time and see if anything gets the wheels turning.

The story starts right after 'Contact'- Clark leaving Lois for her own good. Well, things are much different than in the show. She takes him seriously and... Let's just say it's a while before they get back together. Now, where I have the problem is not knowing which direction to take it after the 'reunion'. The reunion is an intimate one, but after, they part again. Then I have the New Kryptonians coming for Clark, just like on the show. Idea one is that their reunion results in Lois becoming pregnant (big surprise shock ) and she's too late to stop him from leaving. I have him being gone... (A) a couple of years and coming home to a toddler or (B) several years and coming home to a six or seven year old. Of course, another idea is that she reaches him in time to let him know that he's going to be a father (C). Would he leave then?

And lately I've been toying with the idea that she doesn't become pregnant and has to deal with his absence after their time together. I'm just not sure this is where I want to take this. So that's idea (D). Of course, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I do have (A) written and most of (B), so I was very serious about those directions. And there's a lot of angst during the separation- a lot of story there. (B) gives us the chance for a lot more- him being gone so long, what he dealt with on NK, Zara, etc. Also, what Lois dealt with- realizing what she'd lost, wondering if he'd ever come home, raising their child alone... and so on. Of course, a lot of the angst can be thrown in without a child. So I'm curious to know what other ways this could be handled. Please, give me some direction here!

SQD

#160404 10/20/08 04:05 AM
rkn Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I like her being pregnant and catching him before he leaves as I don't think that one has been done before. Don't get me wrong, I love the ones where Clark comes home and he has a little one waiting- whatever age he is- but I think it would be more intriguing to explore would he stay? or would he go anyway? After all we're not talking relatives; we're talking his own flesh and blood. So that's my opinion. Of course, since you have more than one option written, just post them all! LOL

thanks!

rkn
#160405 10/20/08 05:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
SQD, first of all, you know how thrilled I am that you're writing. [Linked Image]I'm sure I'll love anything you write, but as you want opinions, this is what I think:

A - It's my preferred option. thumbsup It has great potential and I'm sure Clark would love to know that he and Lois had a child. They could raise this child together and deal with the changes that it would bring.

B - Though Clark would love to be a daddy, he'd miss many years of his child's upbringing, and it'd be harder for the child to bond with him.

C - It would be a hard decision for Clark and probably he'll feel guilty whatever be his choice.

D - It's the least preferred option for me. It'd be too much angst and there wouldn't be anything to lighten it. frown

But, whatever you write, I'll be reading. Your stories are wonderful and I can barely wait to see you posting again! [Linked Image]

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#160406 10/20/08 06:07 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I agree with rkn. Why not post both versions, set, if you wish, in alternate universes?

I like the idea of him going away, blissfully ignorant of his impending fatherhood, and coming back to a six- or seven-year-old. I rather like the SR take on the whole situation, so that Lois herself may not be aware that her child is Clark's. Of course, for that to work we have to rush Lois into a new relationship almost as soon as Clark has left her bed, and I sure don't like that idea!!! razz razz razz

Another possibility, if we stay moderately movie-related, is to have Lois suffer from amnesia. That's fine with me, as long as Clark hasn't deliberately inflicted the amnesia on her. razz razz razz

The thing is, I think it could be very interesting if Clark comes back and finds that Lois has a child, but Lois herself doesn't know who the father is. What is more, she doesn't remember making love to Clark, so she has never suspected that he is the father of her child. Finding out the kid's true paternity could be quite an adventure for both Lois and Clark after seven years, or what do you think?

But I think it would also be very interesting if Lois confronts Clark as he is about to leave for Krypton and tells him that he is about to be a father. I have always thought that the real reason why Clark left for Krypton was that he wanted to do it. I think that he would feel an acute sense of disappointment if he was told that he couldn't go, right when he was preparing to leave. I think that he really would stay if he was told that Lois was pregnant, but then again, maybe he wouldn't. Soldiers everywhere go to war even though their girlfriends and wives are pregnant. It would be very interesting to see Clark choose between family life on Earth and the exploration of his roots on New Krypton.

Ann

#160407 10/20/08 06:33 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I like her being pregnant and catching him before he leaves as I don't think that one has been done before.
You know, I'm not sure if it has either! And that's saying something with so many wonderful fics out there. evil

I like the idea of him going away, blissfully ignorant of his impending fatherhood, and coming back to a six- or seven-year-old.
I do, too. That's why I started this idea in the first place.

I rather like the SR take on the whole situation, so that Lois herself may not be aware that her child is Clark's.
That's interesting. But the way I've written the first half, there's no way she could mistake the baby's Clark's. After all, I have them split after 'Contact'. Although, it could be written that Clark, for some reason, breaks up with her. Maybe he hasn't told her he's Superman yet. And while she sleeps with Clark, she has no idea he's also Superman. Of course, if he goes off to NK, there's a whole new set of problems! cat )

#160408 10/20/08 06:44 AM
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
you people are just evil! i can't even stomach the idea of lois not being sure the kid is clark's, i mean, really! so my fave option is the one where clark returns to find a toddler - that is his. but regardless, i will of course read anything you post! some of your stories are my comfort fics that i never get tired of! can't wait!!!

#160409 10/20/08 06:44 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi SQD!

While all the options A-C sound verrry intriguing (I don't know, D smacks so much of the original and that was so frustrating huh ), I think if I'd have to choose option C would be the best. Simply because it hasn't been done yet. Oh, all the guilt of Clark when he leaves his family behind devil

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#160410 10/20/08 08:28 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Hey Squid, I also like the C option since it has never been done. After all the stories that have been done, it's refreshing to find an idea that is new. I do know, which ever option you take, it will be a great story.
Sue

#160411 10/20/08 11:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I know it will be great whatever you write, but if it seems too close to the SR plot, it's been done to death. I.E, he comes home to a 6 year old. How how about Kal-El is forced to come back with Nor's army on the Earth invasion (but of course he's working on a underground within the Kryptonian leadership with Zara's help). He doesn't know about the toddler child so he suspects it is some one else's (just not Ralph!). Just don't spend too much time on Krypton. I feel like that has been done to death too.
Another thought. Start posting! And we faithful readers will tell you!
Here's hoping soon!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#160412 10/20/08 03:15 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I prefer C where she tells him before he leaves, or A he comes back to a toddler. I hate D. Lois not knowing who the father is makes it almost like rape and we have had enough rape stories lately. I also thought the Superman induced amnesia in the movies was a cheap fix to a story problem. To come up with something else would require a little work on the movie writers part. Just my opinion.

#160413 10/20/08 05:35 PM
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
I prefer C because it creates a possible storyline which I don't think has been done many times? That's having Lois and their child move to Smallville (permanately even)? not only to make Clark's possible leaving easier and hiding the pregnancy which might be "super" but flashing forward to when the child is older, (maybe option B then) and is displaying super qualities and them needing to live somewhere less public. What affect might that have on M and J in terms of if any of there neighbors ever wondered about Clark? Or say the child was starting to be "super" and they decided to move...how might that go over? The other thing is before the baby is born if Zara and Ching and all the awful NK's are present, might there presence be a reason to flee Metropolis? Less easier for not so much them to find the Kent's as they could find them anywhere but since they'd draw extra attention to Superman...

Some later night thoughts. Whatever direction this story promises to be very fascinating!

Mona

#160414 10/21/08 01:57 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I like the idea of tehm having a child. I think either Clark could know he's got a child or not and after when he returns from NK I'd like to read how he bond's with him/her.

Carolyn smile

Pisco and Ceviche ->100% PERUVIAN. Never doubt that.
#160415 10/21/08 09:15 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Okay... since I've written A & most of B already, I guess everyone wants a taste of C. I don't think it's been done either or not as much. I think I'm reading this right, but is the general consensus that he leaves anyway? After she tells him she's pregnant? I can write it that way, no problem. After all, with the back story I've got, it wouldn't be difficult at all for him to make the decision to go. But I always had a problem with the original storyline from the show. I know Clark felt an obligation to them. I just never got what they felt his presence could do. I mean, how much of a difference could a virtual stranger make anyway? Especially one who is ignorant of NK's laws and traditions? They watched him and they know that he's much more compassionate and yielding than the NK'ers. What could they possibly hope for him to accomplish? Maybe I need to go back and watch those eps again. (But I doubt I'll understand it this time around either! cat )
Of course, I could have him deliberate his decision long enough for Nor to make it to Earth. Hmmm... do you think the Council would have a problem with Lois being pregnant with the First Lord's child? Instead of his birth wife? Or maybe Nor?

SQD (who will start work on the ending as soon as I get a bit more feedback from this reply- and if all goes well, might even start posting by the weekend!)

#160416 10/21/08 09:22 AM
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
I don't think he would or should leave at all. How does he really know they are for real anyway? That NK arc was so aggravating! But..I just had a thought...perhaps if he did go and later brought the newborn there even for a brief period...would doing so make the baby completely immortal then on Earth? No reaction to K? And heck maybe as a "payment" the scientists could cure Clark too? Actually this might be an opportune time for this discussion to at last happen.

Mona

#160417 10/21/08 10:01 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think he shouldn't leave because of all the reasons you've already pointed out. wink And I believe he wouldn't leave knowing that Lois is pregnant. Nor probably would come to Earth after him anyway, because he sees Kal-El as a threat to his power.

The Council definitely wouldn't approve of Lois having Kal-El's child. It'd be an illegitimate child, after all. This would put Lois and the baby in danger, because Kal-EL would be sentenced to death for treason and the baby could be taken away to NK (the child would be the only descendant left of the House of El). shock For this same reason, Nor would want to kill the child. eek

New story by the weekend, did you say? Woohoo! [Linked Image]

Andreia [Linked Image]

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#160418 10/21/08 12:26 PM
P
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
P
I'll of course be happy to read whatever you decide on. But i do prefer option a.
Looking forward to your fic.

#160419 10/21/08 03:07 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Council would have a problem with Lois being pregnant with the First Lord's child?
Oh, yeah! I see a lot of angst and travail there. And I like Nor + army coming to Earth. I never could relate to the planet New Krypton at all.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#160420 10/22/08 09:42 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
This weekend? Nice. FDK might be really short next week, but I so look forward to this and now try to completely forget what you set up as your premises.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#160421 10/25/08 10:23 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I agree with all of Ultra Woman's reasoning. Clark wouldn't leave once he knew he had a child - after all he could die on NK. He would want to be there to help his child deal with want ever powers he might inherit. I agree with her reaction of the Council and I think Lois having a child would drive Nor nuts. Another person in his way to power.

As for the NK's providing Clark with a cure for kryptonite poisoning. Can't happen - it is radiation poisoning. They might have a treatment and that might make it over time effect him less but it is radiation poisoning that he sufferes from and I highly doubt that it would only effect him on earth. They used the kryptonite on him in the test at his apartment remember. So they knew about it. I'm sure that its radiation had a worse effect on Kryptonians when they were on Krypton.

For me C sounds like the best story line. It hasn't really been done before and it can add a new dimension to the shows story line that wasn't there before and make it generally more satisfactory to the fans. At least it would for me.

#160422 10/27/08 04:26 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I love the idea of C, and can't wait to see it in action...

however, while I hate playing devils advocate... devil
if the NK thing was set directly after Contact, so that CK still has this overwhelming desire to protect Lois through his absence,
then it would be perfectly plausible for him to continue with this line of thought so that he insists on leaving in order to protect Lois and his Child...

but I do personally prefer the other option, where he stays, but just pointing out that it is possible

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard