Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi FoLCs!

I've recently arrived at the conclusion, that every time I need to describe Lois' or Clark's apartments (or the newsroom and (not yet) their townhouse, and the farm, I run into a mixture of fanon and imagination, mixed with a little bit of memory from the series.

So I thought, hey, why not make a floor plan and illustrate it with appropriate screencaps.

By now I know Lois is basically living in a loft, too, that Clark has a glass-walled shower stall and Lois has tons of plants in her apartment.

Lois' kitchen:
The Rival; the early episodes of S1; Virtually Destroyed

Lois' bathroom:
??

Lois' bathtub:
Smart kids

Good shots of the bedroom/bathroom layout of Lois' apartment
??

Clark's shower:
It's a Small World

Clark's bathroom:
I Now Pronounce You; Double Jeopardy

Clark's bedroom/livingroom/kitchen/and stair case:
Barbarians at the Planet; House of Luthor

Clark's phone:
Honeymoon in Metropolis; Whine, Whine, Whine

I know there is this thread and the screencap-archives, but I was wondering if you had any further ideas.

Oh, and does anybody have any clue as to where exactly Lucy slept when she stayed with Lois?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Also, if you know of a place that already has those, well, I wouldn't mind blush

It's a medium term project, but I hope to have something that I could also share around Christmas.

Any help would be very much appreciated smile

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Lois is in a loft? I never would have thought that.

That said, there is a 3D view of Clark's apartment [S3 I think] here . I think it's some different from earlier - I don't remember the beams for instance from whichever S1 ep where Clark was pacing the ceiling [Vatman?]. Rival has Perry hiding in a closet which isn't visible here. I've used this quite a bit as a reference for LtL and LS.

Hope that helps some smile .
Carol

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Lois's bathroom is in Witness, just before she is almost strangled.

It's when she runs out of water.

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I thought it was the Pilot where Clark was pacing the ceiling. That would have been when he was still staying at the Apollo. Unless, of course, he does it more than once.

Elisabeth

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Yeah - he does it more than once. he's pacing the ceiling - no jacket. Tie tucked into his pants and reaches... up? down? to get an apple off the table. He's talking to his parents on the phone [I think it's them which is what makes me think it was Vatman because he's like but I wasn't in Paris etc].

Carol

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
In Neverending Battle there is a good pan shot of Clark's apartment after he'd done repairs to the place. The landlord was giving him a key but couldn't find it.

There's no furniture, but you get a good look at what the layout is.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Michael, where do you get that Lois lives in a loft? The only stairs I can ever remember having seen were on the fire escape outside her livingroom window.

We see some of Lois's bedroom layout in the "getting dressed" scene in the Phoenix. Do we see some of the bathroom at the end of Metallo? (When she's taking a bath and Superman stops by)

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Carol, thanks for the beams. It was Vatman. And I noticed, they flipped the picture, probably for scene composure. The closet and kitchen are on the right side instead of the left. You're looking at Clark from out of the bedroom-area.

Sara, that's where I lost her bathroom. Thanks for finding it again smile

Elisabeth, thanks. yeah, he did also pace on the ceiling in the Apollo.

Crazy_Babe, thanks.

Sheila, thanks. Are you sure it's not Lucky Leon? Unless you're not referring to her getting dressed before the date? And yay for the bathroom in Metallo. Every nitpick helps. The loft: Well, it might be a language thing, and I know that a loft in the classic sense is a pretty much open floor space. But Lois' apartment also only has a couple of divider-walls made of wood with no doors, so it's not that different from Clark's.

[Linked Image]

Thanks, guys, you're a great help smile

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sheila's right, it's Metallo. Lois is about to step into the bath when Superman arrives in her apartment.

The curious thing is, watching that episode, I always had the weird feeling that the bath wasn't in the bathroom, but in the main room and I note now that the script says that it's in her bedroom.

Which is somewhat odd. Although, having said that, I now recall being very confused in Witness when Lois got out of bed in the morning and crossed to a washbasin - which also seemed to be in her bedroom - to wash her face and brush her teeth.

Is it possible the bathroom and bedroom have no dividing wall between them and are one room? Seems a somewhat bizarre idea, but...

OTOH, nothing would surprise me about Lois's apartment. It was a skyscraper at one point (Operation Blackout).

ETA: Just realised you were talking about Lucky Leon/Phoenix not Metallo, Michael.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Labby - here in the States at least, I think it would be very weird to have a bathroom in the bedroom, though in the kitchen [very small apartments - VERY small] or in a utility room [I know a number of people with those - usually a one bedroom house that needed a second bath and there's already water/drains there etc]. Friends did an ep where Ross was looking for an apartment and the bathroom was in the kitchen, but the whole apartment was about the size of an elevator wink .

I was thinking she'd walked through a door to get to the bathroom to brush her teeth in Witness but I could be wrong...
Carol

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hey Labby smile

Lois' bathroom is walled off by a divider-wall but that's it.
See here and here . And that's not a door. That's about six feet of wall missing.

Oh, and we see her sleep with Clarkie Bear. Wasn't there a somewhere on whether Lois sleeping with Clarkie-bear was fanon or canon?

And woohoo, a great shot of her apartment in Operation Blackout.

And lol on the skyscraper. That's just weird. I guess, that's when she lived in 1058 instead 320 laugh She probably has two apartments for protection reasons cool

Michael

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm fairly sure that the bear we see her sleeping with in Witness is the bear that Clark won for her at the fair in Green, Green Glow of Home.

She never named it in the show, far as I recall, so that it's called Clarkie is fanon, I think. (Although, now that I've said that I'm less sure. laugh )

Ah, a divider wall makes some sort of sense, I guess. Although it would still be just a tad too open plan for my tastes. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That's the same bear. And Clarkie is regarded fanon afaik.

And I love my doors, too. Bathroom, bedroom, front door laugh But you have to look at it from Lois' POV. She's getting out of the bathtub in Metallo and takes just one step to look straight at Superman. So much easier for seduction angel-devil

Michael

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
So much easier for seduction
LOL! BTW, Michael, you're right re the getting dressed scene being in Lucky Leon instead of the Phoenix. The reason I questioned your use of "loft" for Lois's apartment is that a loft in the US is an overhead space, exactly like Clark has in his apartment. It is usually separated from the main floor by partial walls, but what makes it a loft is being on a second floor.

But with the way things seemed to move around in L&C's apartments, I think the crew just moved the props at times to make shooting easier for a particular scene--or created a bathroom where none had actually been built previously.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by sheilah:
The reason I questioned your use of "loft" for Lois's apartment is that a loft in the US is an overhead space, exactly like Clark has in his apartment. It is usually separated from the main floor by partial walls, but what makes it a loft is being on a second floor.
Interesting, thanks, Sheila. Always good to learn new meanings of words old words smile

And you could be right on the props team
:rolleyes: They make life so much harder for poor fanfic-writers who actually care about this stuff huh laugh

Michael

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I've also hear loft as 'loft apartment' which is an apartment with no/very few load bearing walls so you can do whatever you want with the interior. When first built it's nothing more than a big room that each owner/tenant can do whatever they want with wall wise [within codes and stuff of course], but a 'loft' [just a loft] would be like the area up the red stairs in Clark's bedroom.

Carol

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
or created a bathroom where none had actually been built previously.
Perhaps Lois enjoyed her stay in the honeymoon suite at the Luxor - with its mysterious, vanishing pool - so much that she modelled her apartment's interior on the honeymoon suite's design. wink

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No, the Honeymoon Suite works.

The bed is back center. To the left is the bathroom, to the right the suite's main room, and in the front, the whirl pool.

When they play Trivial Pursuit (or something like that) they're in the bedroom, and Clark is actually sitting on the marble dais of the pool. It's just a totally different camera angle.

Also, the maid was already in the suite, and the surveillance equipment in the bedroom.

That set works smile

Michael

Features Writer
Features Writer
Lois has Clarkie bear in her bed in "Resurrection." Another ep with a good shot of her bedroom/bathroom is "We Have A Lot to Talk About," when she comes into the bedroom from her bathroom and the bomb is hooked up to the exercise mat.

We also get some looks at Clark's bedroom in "Home is Where the Hurt is" and "Never on Sunday" and the kitchen at the end of "Chi of Steel."

Good panoramic views of Lois' living room/kitchen when Clark and Ching are preparing for battle in "Battleground Earth."

I would say that Lois lives in a pretty typical one-bedroom apartment, and that Clark lives in a loft. I think Lois' bedroom is connected to her bathroom.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
and the surveillance equipment in the bedroom
I haven't watched an episode in a while, but I seem to remember that the surveillance equipment is set up in front of the same windows through which Lois viewed the shady goings on. Except that she was in the pool at the time. So the pool should be in front of the windows later in the episode - and isn't. (Otherwise the surveillance equipment would be very wet).

But as I say, haven't watched one in an age, so...

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hey Labby, no worries, and I'm sure you don't. Me I have HiM open almost constantly, okay not anymore since I figured the things out by now, but as I've been writing an adaption of that episode for the past few months, I'm pretty familiar with the layout blush So, anyway. The equipment was set up in the main room, one window down from the whirlpool-window in the bedroom. They only assembled the stuff in the bedroom, probably so they would have time to get it on on the bed in case when the maid dropped by laugh I think the suite might actually be a good training project for making floor plans... hmm. Well later, when I have time.

Jenn! 3x01 and 4x01 were gold. Thanks for the tips smile

Michael

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You'll definitely know better than me then, Michael. Actually, that answers quite a lot of issues I've had with that episode for years. laugh

And the weird thing is, I've been bleating on about them for years in various goof threads and this is the first time anyone's said, no, hang on... goofy

It certainly solves my issues with why there was a bed in the main suite in the teaser and suddenly a separate bedroom in the rest of the episode...

Suddenly, it all makes sense.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
lol and you're welcome, Labby.
Suddenly, it all makes sense.
It does, doesn't it? But we still have timetravel, addresses, and skyscrapers to confuse us, don't we? cool

Michael

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
ACTUALLY when you look at CK's Apartment, I would certainly classify the whole thing as a loft apartment

loft-style

the distinguishing features being the
1. High ceilings,
2. Open floor plan coupled with a LACK of any distinct rooms (except the bathroom)

the fact that he has a ladder into the "loft" is an added bonus, and a common feature...

these apartments were often built from converted warehouses or churches etc..... and are very common in Sydney...

as such lofts were also common in the warehouse itself for foremen to be stationed... or the choir ....

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard