Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was looking back through the archives of this folder for something else, when I spotted an old thread begun by Kathy Brown which asked the header question.

I'm curious to know what other FoLCs who didn't answer first time around will post. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Season 5 - Back To The Future

And the first fic that explored outside the realm of S5 and S6 was Hubris.

Edit:
Originally posted by LabRat in 2003:
In fact, , I think I even heard a rumor there was a squeal - er, sorry, sequel - in the works.
ROTFL! Artemis, I think Second Degree Burns is one of the few stories in this fandom that's infamous before it's even been posted! laugh It was begun right after Burnout (you work out the math - it scares the heck out of me, so I'm not going to wink ), is half-finished now and has been for something like five years (a few months ago I was looking through an ancient floppy disk before discarding it and was dismayed to find an early draft of the darn thing on there! eek ) and recently I came to the conclusion that what's there already is so boring and predictable I really should just dump it and start from scratch....

Translation? Don't hold your breath. <g> It is, technically, scheduled to be worked on and finished next. Right after...erm...um...what I'm working on today. I reckon if I don't get it finished and out this year I probably never will. But I suspect it's going to take a lot of hard work from my poor betas - who will probably cringe when they see me coming with it - to whip it into shape. wink

LabRat smile
I know it's five years late and you no longer write and it was dead then and so on, but still:
sad And it's your fault for digging up this old thread and everything in the first place anyway.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yikes! I don't think I can remember the exact story, but the author was Kathy Brown. I met her in another fandom and she pimped LnC to me. I'm going to guess that my first LnC fanfic was probably Camping with Clark , but I can't be sure.

After that, I read the rest of Kathy's stories, moved on to Jeff Brogden, Pam Jernigan, Yvonne Connell, CC Aiken and then into the Kerths. I was in heaven with the lcfanfic archive - it is so organized and easy to use! I think I'd probably read a hundred fanfics and knew what WaFF/WHAM meant before I ever saw an episode.

After seeing so many episode rewrites and AUs, it was fun to see what *really* happened on the show.

Brenda

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
lol I remember my first fic was:

Have A Little Faith In Me by Nicole Sullivan

I remember cause when I was choosing where to start, I just decided to just choose one at random from the title name and not read the description and just read it. I never forgot it obviously :p

Sarah,

Tempus: You want to know the future, Miss Lane? No one works, no one argues, there are 9,000 channels and nothing on!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The first L&C fic I ever read was Rest and Reproduction by Meredith Knight.

(But the very first fic I ever read was in a whole nother fandom, though)

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Features Writer
Features Writer
I don't remember which fanfic was my first, but it probably was in another fandom too.

My first one here I think was A Conscious Choice by Wendy Richards. If I'm not messing yet another title (apologies if I am).

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Columnist
Columnist
I don't remember the first fic I read but I know it came from the theme section of the archives. I read all the stories under the themes and then I ventured into the archives.

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And it's your fault for digging up this old thread and everything in the first place anyway.
LOL - maybe I should have read the old thread before linking to it. goofy

Well, never say never. I still toy with the idea of hauling it into shape - if I got the writing bug again in the future and the Muse got interested it would probably be the first WIP I'd complete - but at the moment I'm so thoroughly uninterested in writing that it's never more than a fleeting impulse. Triggered more, it has to be said, by a longing to be back in the thick of that reader/author/posting fun than any real desire to complete the darn thing. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, the first fanfic I read was years ago, also in another fandom.

But for LNC, I believe it was about a year ago, "Superman vs. the In - Laws." I had started with theme links, and the "IN Love and Loving It" section, because I knew season 3 and 4 were my favorite seasons.

It actually took me quite a while to realize that there were other stories that were not included in one of the "theme" catogories.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by LabRat:
Triggered more, it has to be said, by a longing to be back in the thick of that reader/author/posting fun than any real desire to complete the darn thing. laugh
Well this can be a powerful impulse, you just have to go with it wink
http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/2000/ultidrug.txt

if I got the writing bug again in the future
[Linked Image]

Oh, and it would be one more submission to the archives wink

Michael (Trying never hurts, right?)

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
Kerth
Labrat said:
a longing to be back in the thick of that reader/author/posting fun than any real desire to complete the darn thing.
/me whispers 'viiiiiiiiiiggggnnneeeeeettttttte'

Sue (who cannot remember which fanfic was first) frown

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah, unfortunately, the Muse hasn't been interested in stringing a drabble together, let alone a vignette, in years. laugh

Having said that, I did finally have a epiphany a few months back when I was trawling through my WIP folder. When I realised that some stories which I'd always intended to be the starting point to fairly long stories would work just as well as vignettes and that not all stories need to be epics.

I might even admit here to having had the vague notion over the past couple of weeks that maybe it's time to try that. wink

Michael <g> - I guess I'm just lucky that there's no rule that those who run the Archive have to contribute to it. laugh

LabRat (who thinks this thread may have veered very slightly off topic... laugh )

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
Okay then, in an effort to put this back on topic, how about this statement?

The first fic I read in August 2008 was LabRat's (untitled) vignette? laugh

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Top Banana
Top Banana
The very first was S5- Episode 1: Back to the Future. The first non-continuation fic was “Meet Me in Kansas City”. That was so WOW! hyper I have been hooked ever since.

Bob

Kerth
Kerth
I really can't remember. Probably something in the Buffy fandom, but no idea what, and no idea at all what I first read in L&C except it was probably a Buffy crossover.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Blogger
Blogger
I have mentioned before that I am a long-time lurker. When I saw this thread and starting thinking about the first story I read, I realized how long I've been in the shadows.

The first Lois and Clark story that I ever read was Debby Stark's Dawning. I believe that this was in late 1994.

Obviously, this is well before these boards were established. I didn't have my own computer back then, so I would use my work computer. I searched the internet with my CompuServe account (do they even exist any longer?) on a 2400 baud dial-up connection, looking for anything Lois and Clark or X-Files related. This was more interesting than the work that I should have been doing. I stumbled across this story and I have been reading ever since. I remember constantly checking her ftp site for any updates.

Thank God for my T-3 connection now! I still check for new postings at work, but at least now, I don't have the modem screech giving me away. thumbsup

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The first fic I read in August 2008 was LabRat's (untitled) vignette? [Big Grin]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Geez, no pressure, huh?

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
So grab one of those 'first lines' [there's some good ones smile ] and set your timer for an hour...

And then you'll have something to submit to yourself!

See how that works?!

Carol

Features Writer
Features Writer
OK, I had to go back and look because I have read entirely too many stories since finding the archive in 2003.

The first story I ever read was Barbara's "Back to the Future," the first "episode" of Season 5. I was SO excited that there were stories that continued the show.

The most memorable of the stories I read in those first few months was "My Heart Will Go On," by Juliana Nozue. I was reading it here at the paper, during my internship, and I was just bawling, and trying to be subtle so no one would notice and think I was a basket case and not want to hire me. Now they're used to it. wink

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Labrat said:
Having said that, I did finally have a epiphany a few months back when I was trawling through my WIP folder. When I realised that some stories which I'd always intended to be the starting point to fairly long stories would work just as well as vignettes and that not all stories need to be epics.
Oh, man. You have *got* to teach me how to do that. I sat down to try the 1-hour challenge and had to admit defeat. After an hour, I barely have an outline of a premise, let alone a complete vignette.
grumble

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard