Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#159803 07/15/08 03:41 PM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I need some help. In There's No Place Like Home, Lois and Clark are talking about Dan and Mayson and I have this section:

"Well, Dan’s a great guy. Attentive. Loving. Trustworthy."

"Sounds like a dog I had once," he mumbled under his breath.

"What?" she demanded, an edge creeping into her tone.

"Sounds like a match made in heaven," he said louder.
Now, I can leave it as is. But I'd like to change the 'Sounds like a match made in heaven' to sound a little more like 'Sounds like a dog I had once.' So that it would be a little more likely that Lois might think she had misunderstood him the first time. Any ideas how I could convey that same two, very different ideas while making them sound a little closer (if that made any sense).

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#159804 07/15/08 03:50 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hmm. The first part is tricky:

--
Sounds like a [sound close to "match"] I had when I was seven.

Sounds like a match made in heaven.
--

Something like that is as close as I get off the top of my head. (If you could just hatch things that were attentive, loving and trustworthy, you'd be set <g>)

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#159805 07/15/08 03:57 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Sounds like my dog when I was seven?

#159806 07/15/08 04:03 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, "cat" would sound better than dog, but those aren't exactly cat characteristics goofy

How about
"I had a dog like that when I was seven"/
"It sounds like a match made in heaven"

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#159807 07/15/08 04:05 PM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Carol, that's absolutely perfect!

Thanks,

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
#159808 07/15/08 04:07 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Oooo yay!!!!

Does that mean you'll send me the rest of the file to my very special very comfy ML FIC box?!?!?!

Carol

#159809 07/16/08 01:22 AM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
If you could just hatch things that were attentive, loving and trustworthy, you'd be set
laugh

Well, "cat" would sound better than dog, but those aren't exactly cat characteristics
You're right, Pam. Those are hardly cat characteristics. On the other hand, I could have her say: "Dan's independant, never listens to what I have to say and always insists that things be done his way." But something tells me that the impact of her praise for Dan would... I don't know, suffer a little laugh

Does that mean you'll send me the rest of the file to my very special very comfy ML FIC box?!?!?!
One thing I will say for you, Carol, is that you're persistant laugh

Anyway, thanks, guys. It's greatly appreciated.

ML wave

#159810 07/17/08 06:12 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
On the other hand, I could have her say: "Dan's independant, never listens to what I have to say and always insists that things be done his way." But something tells me that the impact of her praise for Dan would... I don't know, suffer a little
Yeah, but ... it'd be just as true as the dog description. Probably more so! goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard