Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: MLT FFQ - Sounds like... - 07/15/08 07:41 PM
I need some help. In There's No Place Like Home, Lois and Clark are talking about Dan and Mayson and I have this section:

"Well, Dan’s a great guy. Attentive. Loving. Trustworthy."

"Sounds like a dog I had once," he mumbled under his breath.

"What?" she demanded, an edge creeping into her tone.

"Sounds like a match made in heaven," he said louder.
Now, I can leave it as is. But I'd like to change the 'Sounds like a match made in heaven' to sound a little more like 'Sounds like a dog I had once.' So that it would be a little more likely that Lois might think she had misunderstood him the first time. Any ideas how I could convey that same two, very different ideas while making them sound a little closer (if that made any sense).

ML wave
Posted By: alcyone Re: FFQ - Sounds like... - 07/15/08 07:50 PM
Hmm. The first part is tricky:

--
Sounds like a [sound close to "match"] I had when I was seven.

Sounds like a match made in heaven.
--

Something like that is as close as I get off the top of my head. (If you could just hatch things that were attentive, loving and trustworthy, you'd be set <g>)

alcyone
Posted By: carolm Re: FFQ - Sounds like... - 07/15/08 07:57 PM
Sounds like my dog when I was seven?
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: FFQ - Sounds like... - 07/15/08 08:03 PM
Well, "cat" would sound better than dog, but those aren't exactly cat characteristics goofy

How about
"I had a dog like that when I was seven"/
"It sounds like a match made in heaven"

PJ
Posted By: MLT Re: FFQ - Sounds like... - 07/15/08 08:05 PM
Carol, that's absolutely perfect!

Thanks,

ML wave
Posted By: carolm Re: FFQ - Sounds like... - 07/15/08 08:07 PM
Oooo yay!!!!

Does that mean you'll send me the rest of the file to my very special very comfy ML FIC box?!?!?!

Carol
Posted By: MLT Re: FFQ - Sounds like... - 07/16/08 05:22 AM
If you could just hatch things that were attentive, loving and trustworthy, you'd be set
laugh

Well, "cat" would sound better than dog, but those aren't exactly cat characteristics
You're right, Pam. Those are hardly cat characteristics. On the other hand, I could have her say: "Dan's independant, never listens to what I have to say and always insists that things be done his way." But something tells me that the impact of her praise for Dan would... I don't know, suffer a little laugh

Does that mean you'll send me the rest of the file to my very special very comfy ML FIC box?!?!?!
One thing I will say for you, Carol, is that you're persistant laugh

Anyway, thanks, guys. It's greatly appreciated.

ML wave
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: FFQ - Sounds like... - 07/17/08 10:12 AM
On the other hand, I could have her say: "Dan's independant, never listens to what I have to say and always insists that things be done his way." But something tells me that the impact of her praise for Dan would... I don't know, suffer a little
Yeah, but ... it'd be just as true as the dog description. Probably more so! goofy

PJ
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards