Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#159206 04/30/08 08:41 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Is it possible for a person to fall into a deep coma after loosing a lot of blood from a gun shot? I'm working on a story where Lois has powers, but she isn't invulnerable and I need to come up with a believable way of having her slip into unconsciousness.

Thanks! smile

#159207 05/01/08 01:48 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Based on my research for my current WIP, coma can result from hypoxia, which I believe can result from an acute loss of blood volume. Generally speaking, though, a coma indicates some type of brain damage, which you probably don't want Lois to have? You can have her fall unconscious from any number of things without having her be in a coma. I think.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
#159208 05/01/08 03:17 AM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Coma doesn't necessarily mean brain damage. It means that your not conscious, which of course can be due to serious brain damage. But falling unconscious is a way of the body to protect the brain from further damage, because it needs less energy this way.

Losing a lot of blood would cause Lois to fall unconcious, because her blood pressure would drop. Besides, a lot of pain can also make people pass out. Even if Lois would get immediate help, I guess she'd remain unconscious for some time even if she gets blood and fluid. Or she'll slowly come to. But it would be safe to assume that she won't be fully awake at once.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
#159209 05/01/08 04:34 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Check out Glasgow Coma Scale

This is used by EMTs and ER people to determine LOC (Level Of Consciousness). I'm not a medical person, but from my research the DEEP unconsciousness of a coma is generally drug, brain damage or hypothermia related. But ANY injury or condition severe enough to cause deep unconsciousness (blood loss, hypoxia, etc.) is severe enough to cause brain trauma.

And remember, unconscious does not necessarily mean coma.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#159210 05/06/08 12:08 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Don't forget that comas can be medically induced to allow the body to heal itself.

Also, in my experience, a coma looks different than one would think. Soaps are famous for having a person appear to be sleeping while the heart monitor beeps in the background. When Mom was in a coma she would open her eyes without really looking at anything. Also my step-dad's great-niece has gone for a few months without being conscious (I don't know if they are still calling it a coma); she startles at loud noises, on occasion looks at someone who is speaking and on occasion picks at irritants. Neither fits the stereotype.

Elisabeth

#159211 05/06/08 12:19 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes, but from what I've read about that, the medical personnel involved in handling a patient in a medically induced coma go to great lengths to prevent brain damage - ie. proper ventilation, circulatory support, those sorts of things.

You added stuff while I was replying.

Also TV generally shows a coma patient waking up with few deficits and no physical issues. Being bed-ridden for any length of time creates serious physical degradation.

Sometime ago I recall hearing that a coma is also defined as lasting no more than 14 days or so. After that it's called a 'persistent vegetative state' and people don't generally recover from that - their brains are jello.

That's why I recommend looking at the Glasgow Scale for anyone planning to knock Lois out for any length of time. angel-devil

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#159212 05/06/08 06:51 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thank you so much for all of your replies. It's definitely helping. smile

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard