Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: LoisLane9397 Coma Question - 05/01/08 12:41 AM
Is it possible for a person to fall into a deep coma after loosing a lot of blood from a gun shot? I'm working on a story where Lois has powers, but she isn't invulnerable and I need to come up with a believable way of having her slip into unconsciousness.

Thanks! smile
Posted By: Aria Re: Coma Question - 05/01/08 05:48 AM
Based on my research for my current WIP, coma can result from hypoxia, which I believe can result from an acute loss of blood volume. Generally speaking, though, a coma indicates some type of brain damage, which you probably don't want Lois to have? You can have her fall unconscious from any number of things without having her be in a coma. I think.
Posted By: bakasi Re: Coma Question - 05/01/08 07:17 AM
Coma doesn't necessarily mean brain damage. It means that your not conscious, which of course can be due to serious brain damage. But falling unconscious is a way of the body to protect the brain from further damage, because it needs less energy this way.

Losing a lot of blood would cause Lois to fall unconcious, because her blood pressure would drop. Besides, a lot of pain can also make people pass out. Even if Lois would get immediate help, I guess she'd remain unconscious for some time even if she gets blood and fluid. Or she'll slowly come to. But it would be safe to assume that she won't be fully awake at once.
Posted By: Dandello Re: Coma Question - 05/01/08 08:34 AM
Check out Glasgow Coma Scale

This is used by EMTs and ER people to determine LOC (Level Of Consciousness). I'm not a medical person, but from my research the DEEP unconsciousness of a coma is generally drug, brain damage or hypothermia related. But ANY injury or condition severe enough to cause deep unconsciousness (blood loss, hypoxia, etc.) is severe enough to cause brain trauma.

And remember, unconscious does not necessarily mean coma.
Posted By: Elisabeth Re: Coma Question - 05/06/08 04:08 PM
Don't forget that comas can be medically induced to allow the body to heal itself.

Also, in my experience, a coma looks different than one would think. Soaps are famous for having a person appear to be sleeping while the heart monitor beeps in the background. When Mom was in a coma she would open her eyes without really looking at anything. Also my step-dad's great-niece has gone for a few months without being conscious (I don't know if they are still calling it a coma); she startles at loud noises, on occasion looks at someone who is speaking and on occasion picks at irritants. Neither fits the stereotype.

Elisabeth
Posted By: Dandello Re: Coma Question - 05/06/08 04:19 PM
Yes, but from what I've read about that, the medical personnel involved in handling a patient in a medically induced coma go to great lengths to prevent brain damage - ie. proper ventilation, circulatory support, those sorts of things.

You added stuff while I was replying.

Also TV generally shows a coma patient waking up with few deficits and no physical issues. Being bed-ridden for any length of time creates serious physical degradation.

Sometime ago I recall hearing that a coma is also defined as lasting no more than 14 days or so. After that it's called a 'persistent vegetative state' and people don't generally recover from that - their brains are jello.

That's why I recommend looking at the Glasgow Scale for anyone planning to knock Lois out for any length of time. angel-devil
Posted By: LoisLane9397 Re: Coma Question - 05/06/08 10:51 PM
Thank you so much for all of your replies. It's definitely helping. smile
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards