Next Thread
Print Thread
#155391 05/23/07 09:44 PM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Take Two. blush

For two years I have seen Dawn tirelessly and diligently updating the board yet she is a mystery to me. Like Greta Garbo I feel I only know her through her work.
If it's not presumptious, may I ask what drives you, and who is the index crew you talk about?

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
#155392 05/24/07 01:06 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You know, I may be mistaken, but as far as I know... When someone takes the time to do something helpful for the community, it's generally customary to thank them, not insult them for their dedication and compare them to a mindless robot.

Just because Dawn prefers to read rather than write and doesn't see the need for public accolades and attention doesn't mean that she deserves to be treated like anything less than the valuable member of the community that she is.

Question the moderators' policies if you must. We're open to debate. Constantly putting us down because we don't agree with you probably isn't the most helpful or productive approach, but you're free to voice your opinion. But attacking other boards members without any reason whatsoever... I personally think that's pushing the line.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#155393 05/24/07 02:10 AM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Just because Dawn prefers to read rather than write and doesn't see the need for public accolades and attention doesn't mean that she deserves to be treated like anything less than the valuable member of the community that she is.
Well I can’t agree more. That’ why brought up the subject, I was only trying to start a conversation because I was curious about her.The bot thing was intended as a playful tease.

You know - yes I’m real, and like apple pie but between three kids and a dog I don’t have much time to spend on the board as I like. Or something.

But if this infringes on her privacy, or if she found my post offensive I apologize most profusely. I tried to bring attention to her and what she does, I most certainly never intended to slight a person I don't know for no reason whatsoever.

EDIT: Sorry, Hatman reading my first post again I agree it sounds more mean then funny and I understand your response. My apologies. I'm going to delete it and try to do a better job expressing what I was trying to say.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
#155394 05/25/07 11:36 AM
D
Merriwether
Merriwether
D
Arawn,

I think it was about 7 years ago (wow – that long!) when a few of us thought it would be a good idea to have an index of stories available for easy reference that folcs might find useful. I volunteered to be the public spokesperson for the group. The others that have been involved over the years wish to remain behind the scenes, which is why I sign off ‘Dawn & Crew’. Until they post or give me the okay to post for them I will respect that.

It’s been years since I’ve written anything, though I’ve got a few wips I’m working on off and on. I’ve even considered re-working and expanding on my first story, which I consider my best one. We’ll see if RL will cooperate on that.

I do the indexes because of the enjoyment I’ve gotten from this community over the years and it is my way of contributing something. We have a very special group of people. I’ve been a member since the original airing of Season 2 on ABC, though I’ve rarely posted except for the indexes due to the aforementioned RL.

Paul, thank you for your kind words of support. I didn’t see the original message but I do greatly appreciate you coming to my defense.

And, Arawn, thank you for editing your post and for apologizing and for your intent in posting.

Dawn

#155395 05/25/07 11:41 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It’s been years since I’ve written anything, though I’ve got a few wips I’m working on off and on.
Dawn may not have written anything in a while, but you can find her previous stories on the Archive here . Well worth checking out.

Dawn, nice to hear that you may be reviving your fanfic writing. It's been way too long since you submitted something to the Archive, my friend. wave

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#155396 05/25/07 11:56 AM
D
Merriwether
Merriwether
D
blush Thanks, Labbie smile I purposefully didn’t mention where to find my stories. I haven’t read them in years and I’m sure many are very dated and I know many need lots of work! But thank you smile

Dawn

#155397 05/25/07 10:55 PM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thank you Dawn.

I have never posted a story myself so I have no brownie points whatsoever. goofy But I will check out your stories.
There are many old-timers and administrators that make very little noise. I’ve been told that many isn't primarly here for the fanfic but nostalgia and to hang out with their old friends in a birthday thread and such.

Now I don’t now how much work indexing actually entails, but the regularity implies a continuous interest in fanfic, yet I rarely see anyone make a reference to you, or the crew, and never you make any random post. Which kind of give the impression of an automatic process.. Or that the index crew is a secret cabal that rules the community from the shadows… peep

Anyway, I was curious, and thought it was worth bringing attention to your work. smile

#155398 05/26/07 01:29 AM
D
Merriwether
Merriwether
D
Thanks, Arawn. I’d hold off on reading those stories! LOL. I freely admit I’m not a writer but I had a few ideas I thought would make good story premises. And I think it would be fun to polish up my first one for it’s 10th(!) anniversary. I might suggest the one co-written with a fellow crew member and dedicated to a special little rat wink

I, too, stay around for the many wonderful friends I have made in this community over the years. There’ve been times I’ve thought of leaving but after this long it would be like leaving a family.

Working on the indexes each week does take a lot of time, but the crew are avid fic readers and appreciate the contributions of authors, betas, those that reply, the quiz setters, videographers, artists, and the K-Com – did I miss anyone? – that do what they can to make this enjoyable for everyone. I wish I had time to give more feed back to authors. I know how much it meant to me. Usually by the time I get to read a story the author has already posted two or three more. The indexes are by far automatic and we certainly aren’t a “secret cabal that rules from the shadows”, lol. We’re just folcs doing what we can to give back to our community, and, as Paul said, we don’t seek accolades, but it is nice to know folcs use the indexes smile Thanks for bringing attention to our work smile

Dawn

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard