Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Merriwether
Merriwether
I think that the fact this thread has had at least three different topics says a lot about the interesting discussions part.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Features Writer
Features Writer
This is good to hear that so much of your feedback has been for new authors, Kathy.
I swear that last night, when I wrote and rewrote the dang thing five times, that my comments didn't read so much like "please give me a pat on the back, I give feedback to new authors" as they do now! Sorry about that! blush

But keeping up with the statistics angle... I looked at the first two pages in the Fanfic TOC section. There are 99 topics, dating back to August 3. Each one is, obviously, for the recent stories posted to the Fanfic section. It doesn't cover all, of course - for example, Nan, Jenni and Rac have all posted story parts in this time period, but their TOC threads are older than August. So with a few exceptions, it's pretty representative of the stories or story parts that have been posted within the last 4 months.

Of those 99, 29 are stories by authors who have been around for a year or more. 70 are by "newbies".

That's a very strong skew in favor of the newcomers to this part of the L&C fandom. You guys are the predominant ones doing it all these days: writing and offering feedback. As others have said, maybe this is just the natural cycle of many a fandom.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You may actually have just answered all of this LabRat. So why did the oldies move on - almost en masse? Was part of that because the boards split? (I suspect that it was.)
Nope. laugh You'd suspect entirely wrongly there, Nancy. I'm talking about a year or so back, relatively recently. Long after these boards were set up. Nothing to do with the split. And mostly it was just ill circumstance, a lot of different reasons coming together at the same time by chance. No plan, no huge event that precipitated it. Mostly it's just been a natural progression to moving on to other fandoms, other interests. Or other venues.

I understand, for example, that irc has gone quiet and many of the old timers who used to hang out there don't any more because they've mostly moved on to using Messenger to chat with instead. Again, there was no group concensus on that, it just happened that bit by bit they drifted over, in ones and twos, mostly without knowing till they got there that others were doing the same.

It happens. People move on to other things. It was just a little unfortunate that many of them moved on at roughly the same time and that most of them were some of the fandom's most prolific authors.

But I think the reasons they moved on were pretty varied. Some are writing for other fandoms now, some have just lost interest in writing/reading as I have, but still hang out here for the company, to varying degrees.

Just realised that there is, of course, a typo in my last post - the bit you quoted, Nancy, about discussion threads. I meant, of course, I was enjoying the recent discussions in the LNC folder. Not the LNC thread. :rolleyes: So, keep up the good work there, guys. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
But what do you mean, ‘word of mouth’. Do you mean the IRC?
Pretty much. I'd be sitting on IRC, and someone would say "Have you read this story by this author? It's really good! I like how..." and so of course, I'd have to go read it.

<insert rambling bit about people wandering, but I see Labrat's already posted. laugh >

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Pretty much. I'd be sitting on IRC, and someone would say "Have you read this story by this author? It's really good! I like how..." and so of course, I'd have to go read it.
Which reminds me of something else I wanted to address from much further back in the thread and which I forgot to mention.

Someone mentioned that oftentimes 'icons' only post feedback on a story when another 'icon' does so first. They follow the herd, IOW. But that is naturally explained by Karen above. It's not unheard of for someone to post feedback on a story then email the rest of their group of friends to say, "Wow! I've just caught this on the mbs - you HAVE to read it! It's terrific!". And then everyone checks it out...and more feedback naturally ensues.

And that same word of mouth process has operated for years on irc, as Karen says. Fanfic was always a hot topic of conversations in #loisclark. Word of mouth recommendations are a natural part of FoLCdom and always have been.

I don't think this is a process that's restricted to 'icons' either. I'd be mighty surprised if all you newbies weren't telling all your friends about your latest great fanfic find here on the forum. goofy

Which is, of course, one way that new authors gain a reputation for good writing and garner more readers as they post each new story.

LabRat (who is now going to go to bed and try and get some sleep, considering it's just after 4 am now... <g>)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmmm…. maybe that should be done again. But maybe somebody ought to do that and not tell anybody. (Has that ever been done?)
Yes - it's no secret to those who've been around a while that I've done it a couple of times. Once was a genuine experiment; I was getting good feedback as myself, and I wanted to see for myself whether a complete newbie would get feedback. So I posted a story under the nick Jane Doe. It got great feedback. I confessed my identity once it was all posted - I think I'd managed to fool just about everyone.

Did it again in nfic, posting some pure smut vignettes as Cat Grant - mainly, then, because even though I wrote them they weren't my favourite sort of writing. Maybe I was just a little bit embarrassed about them - I don't know. I think I did 'come out' about that being me eventually.

And there is one nfic, originally posted on Zoomway's message boards and still hosted on Annesplace, under a pseudonym, that I wrote and, to the best of my knowledge, hardly anyone knows is mine. That - to my amazement, given its subject-matter - got excellent feedback.

I think in general this fandom is pretty welcoming to newbies... And, let's face it, LynnM's, Dave's and CC Aiken's popularity attests to that. The three of them are very, very recent additions to FoLC fanfic-writing. You've just been unlucky enough, as LabRat's said and Kathy's shown, to join at a time when so many of the long-standing writers have moved on to other things.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is good to hear that so much of your feedback has been for new authors, Kathy.
I swear that last night, when I wrote and rewrote the dang thing five times, that my comments didn't read so much like "please give me a pat on the back, I give feedback to new authors" as they do now! Sorry about that!
I didn’t think that at all, Kathy. Really, I didn’t. I’m glad that you said that.

That's a very strong skew in favor of the newcomers to this part of the L&C fandom. You guys are the predominant ones doing it all these days: writing and offering feedback. As others have said, maybe this is just the natural cycle of many a fandom.
Yes, you might be right. And you probably are. Very interesting. That explains a lot to me.

ust realised that there is, of course, a typo in my last post - the bit you quoted, Nancy, about discussion threads. I meant, of course, I was enjoying the recent discussions in the LNC folder. Not the LNC thread. So, keep up the good work there, guys.
Well, I don’t mean to be dumb here, but I lost you… Do you mean the LNC forum?

And that same word of mouth process has operated for years on irc, as Karen says. Fanfic was always a hot topic of conversations in #loisclark.
And by #loisclark do you mean the IRC or the Yahoo group?

LabRat (who is now going to go to bed and try and get some sleep, considering it's just after 4 am now... <g>)
I feel for your days and nights being so turned around.

Wendy, are you sure we can't twist your arm a little and get you to give us a little fic? How about a DW cross-over? (That would be awesome.) Or have you done that, and I missed it?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I don't think the fact that I choose to write and post fan fiction should confer an obligation on someone else, especially if it's an obligation that for whatever reason makes them uncomfortable.
I agree, Caroline. But I was responding to what I perceived as criticism of those who do choose to post fdk. If there is a derth of fdk, it can't just be blamed on those who have already put in their time over the years giving out fdk. It also has to include those who, for whatever reason, didn't choose to give fdk. It's their right, but it's also their loss too so they need to share in the blame if it's being doled out.

I do think a new wave is moving in here, and while it makes me sad to see people I admire and respect move on, I'm also happy that the fandom continues. What excites me most is that many of the "moved on" still visit occasionally and often take part in off-topic discussions on writing in general and so forth. I value their insights into the process; just being in this fandom has greatly enhanced my authorial skills--although it has also shown me that fanfic is NOT my forte so it's a good thing I wasn't planning on making a living with it!

And as far as word-of-mouth on IRC, I discovered all the new authors Wendy referred to in her post via that medium. I'm so glad they let me in on the greatest stories I'd never read smile

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I don’t mean to be dumb here, but I lost you… Do you mean the LNC forum?
The LNC folder in this forum. The one between FoLC Productions and Off Topic.

And by #loisclark do you mean the IRC or the Yahoo group?
#loisclark is an irc channel.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks, LabRat! From your post time, it sure doesn't look like you got much sleep.

(Oh, and did you get the email this time?)

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
My point is that some folks don’t seem to give new folks a chance. I try to make a special effort to do so.
Darned if I didn't try to do this a year or so back... I used to not read stories on the boards at all, then, for various reasons, I started to and it was all downhill from there. laugh

Anyway, I know I'd always make an effort give new authors a chance and give feedback. My reasoning? Honestly, one of the biggest reasons was trying to prolong the life of my beloved fandom. goofy I'd see a "newbie" post, and I'd think FRESH MEAT! I've got to make them feel welcome! Gotta make them realize that FoLCdom is the best and that they have to stay forever and ever! (And did I mention I'm running on four hours of sleep after wrapping up the semester, so I might sound... crazy?) I really, really love that I don't have to worry about this anymore; we're obviously not going anywhere, and we keep growing! dance

Now, this isn't to say I've stopped giving new authors a chance and feedback because of the above reasoning (if I can claim "reason" in insanity... wink ). My problem now is time, for one. But mainly my problem is there's just SO much! I dare say a year or so ago, I might have been able to keep up with all the WIPs being posted. Now I have no chance. (Not to mention school's really been kicking my butt lately...) I LOVE seeing the fandom so thriving, but at the same time, I'm so sad that I'm even more utterly behind on reading than I was before. There are some newer authors out there whose stories I've peeked at or heard good things about, and I'm dying to read them when I've got the time (YAY for winter break starting yesterday!). Classicalla, MetroRhodes, LaraMoon, Caroline's got a WIP out (I heart Caroline! laugh ), basaki (I read the first few paragraphs of Seven Seconds and am eager to read the rest!), off the top of my head. Oh, and I've been meaning for ages to read stuff by LoisLaneWannaBe and Terry Leatherwood. I really ought to write down a list...

Yeah, and I'm just rambling now because it's after 3am, I'm low on sleep, and I've been going through fandom withdrawal these past few weeks with the culmination of the semester. I've missed you guys! mecry

Sara (who, now she's got three weeks off, is gonna have a hard time deciding between reading, writing and trailering *sigh*)

P.S. Did the UK "pants" question ever get answered? I *think* I caught up with the whole thread...

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
So I what exactly does pants mean in GB? Underwear?
Did the UK "pants" question ever get answered?
Whoops, I forgot to answer before. Yes, "pants" in the UK means underwear. smile

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Top Banana
Top Banana
Actually, these days, 'pants' has also become a derogatory term in the UK. If you say something is pants, you mean it's not very good. Personally, I think it's a daft and nonsensical use of the word, but I'm clearly in a minority. laugh

Yvonne

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
As someone that has been part of this community since around 97, I may not be an 'icon', but I have been around...

I used to read everything put out, then about the time our first child turned one, time started to get shorter. By the time our second child turned one, reading time was just impossible. However, I tried to at least keep up with my favorites, like Nan Smith (whoa, now there is a shocker! wink ).

Then I got hit by the writing bug, again, about 2 years ago. My problem is that I have great ideas, but I am not very good at putting them down on paper. DJ is helping me with my latest attempt (part 2 should be done today) and she is being very encouraging. Anyway...(darn mental rabbits!) I have found that I cannot be reading avidly and still be able to write. It's weird but true. I really am trying hard to get this story done and so I have cut back my reading to practically nothing. (anything by Nan is a must read for me, everyone else has to fend for themselves) I will still read the odd vignette or really short story, but I don't have the time to read epics (yes, I am currently reading LabRat's Masques, but not at the voracious rate I usually read fanfic, only about 4 pages a day, which should get my own story betaed, completed, posted, and archived by the time I finish it. laugh )

So, does anyone else have the issue where if they are seriously getting writing done that they can't seem to read as much?

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
DJ is helping me with my latest attempt (part 2 should be done today)
Oh good... <DJ rubs her hands together>

Yes, I have that problem... reading while writing. If I want to get any significant chunk of writing done, that leaves me very little time to do any reading. And since I am a beta reader for several people and am reading their stories, that cuts on down my reading time even further.

I did get sucked into a longer fic recently (Darkest Dreams). I knew I shouldn't have started it when I did, because I really didn't have the time. But darn it all if it didn't suck me in and knock me on my butt. It's the only story I have time to follow right now, though, on top of everything else.

<DJ stumbles out of thread mumbling "too much to do - too much to do... shouldn't have even posted this...">

P.S. - Oh, and thanks for the mention, Sara, I'm totally blushing! blush

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
So, does anyone else have the issue where if they are seriously getting writing done that they can't seem to read as much?
Absolutely. I especially can't read in the fandom I'm writing in, though I will sometimes take a break and read in other fandoms. But if I'm writing L&C fic, I can't seriously read it at the same time. A vignette here and there, maybe, but not a longer work. It messes with my head. And my characterization. I just can't go from someone else's long work and jump back into my own. I admire authors who can, but I never have been able to, even when I had slightly more time for fandom than I have now.

And time, of course, is a big factor, too. I have a tiny little window of time to devote to fandom these days, and I can either use it to write or use it to read and do other things (like posting here). I simply don't have time to do both.

Best,

Caroline

Top Banana
Top Banana
D8a, while I don't write for this fandom (yet) when I was trying to take on NaNoWriMo I too found that I didn't have as much time.

But, I can't say anything about other writers. While people in other fandoms have usually liked what I have written, I don't feel that I am a natural writer and I struggle over every word that I type. frown I have a tiny part of one story for this fandom and for the life of me...

*hides from Queen of Capes on this next part of the sentence evil
5. LOVE WHAT YOU DO: Most importantly, write because you love it and not because you want FDK. If you aren't loving what you write, 9 times out of 10 we aren't either. frown

Any other tips out there from people who actually write in this fandom?

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You offer some good advice, Jojo.

I have known readers through the years who've refused to give feedback a second time to authors who don't respond to their feedback threads. Readers need to feel appreciated just as much as authors do. Even if it's nothing more than a quick 'Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it.' Personally, for myself, I always found it wonderfully stimulating, interesting and just plain fun to respond fully to fdk - the to and fro with readers' comments/suggestions/opinions was very enjoyable.

While authors may feel they have a legitimate reason for ignoring feedback - I know of at least one author who has a self-confessed superstitious fear of replying to their fdk thread in case it stops the fdk cold laugh - not responding is often seen as being rude or not appreciative that readers have taken time to post their thoughts on your story. A quick thanks goes a long way.

And I'd definitely second that don't post your story too fast. That's a big one. Play hard to get a little. laugh Don't rush to give your readers all they want, when they want it. Don't leave them hanging too long, but I'd say at least 24 hours between posts will garner you more fdk than if you rush to post several parts all in the same day.

Regarding listening to suggestions from readers - don't feel obliged to change your story because of something said in fdk. It's your story, no one else's, and most important of all is that you are happy with it. But it's always a good idea to be gracious in listening to suggestions and if 99% of readers have the same suggestion or reservation about something you've written, you know, maybe they're on to something. <g> Anyway, that kind of discussion/debate fdk has always been the biggest part of the fun of posting a story on the forum, for me. So long as you understand that you don't have to accept them, you can have enormous fun debating them with your readers.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Y'know, reading through this, a thought occurred (rare, but true) -- when we're talking about "a year ago" having seen a dearth (well, dip) in writing/posting/commenting... well, a year ago, a lot of us were writing for the fundraiser DVD. So all that fanfic-related effort was going on, it was just effectively invisible. And given the nature of the project, it sucked in a fair number of "icons" and consumed the time they already didn't have much of.

I'm looking forward to being able to actually *post* my story somewhere. I'm glad to have contributed to the fundraiser, but I got very little feedback. I believe the organizers have said DVD fics should be exclusive for at least a year, so maybe next April lots of stories will just appear as if by magic... laugh when their authors are finally allowed to post them. That'll be fun smile

I have been aware that I've got reduced time and interest in L&C fic, for maybe the last year... it's been a gradual change. But as LabRat said, that hasn't got a thing to do with the boards split, and if you're thinking of the same "icons" I'm thinking of, then I'm confident it hasn't affected any of them that way, either. See, we're of the opinion that we *won* that fight wink by refusing to fight, and just leaving instead, and were just delirious with joy to have these brand-new boards to play in. These boards, actually, kept a lot of writers in the fandom by providing an alternative to Zoom's boards, which were kinda hostile at the time.

Oh, and I gotta tell you -- it's seriously weird to have someone get all excited about meeting you (I understand it, I guess, 'cause I've done it myself, but it's still seriously weird). Fun for a little while laugh but I much prefer hanging out with friends, rather than groupies. Thankfully, I haven't had many of those!

I hope I've been friendly with everyone and that no one thought I was snooty. (What I am is *snarky* which anyone can tell you wink ).

What I *also* am at the moment is rambling, so I think I should shut up now. Besides, these people who pay me money to sit at a desk 40 hours a week actually expect me to work! Imagine!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Kerth
Kerth
I can't take any credit for the "don't give them everything at once" method for receiving feedback. I owe it all to Anne (ACDrift) who actually made me do *homework* just as I was about to start posting Faustian to learn how often to post.

The nfic FDK threads for Faustian still leave me in slack-jawed amazement. They took on a life of their own and, while I had a blast responding to the comments and shennanigans that went on in them, they were certainly more due to everyone else debating and teasing and wheedling and just generally having the party that Jojo described.

I don't know how to replicate that. I think a lot of it was just pure dumb luck - the right place, the right story and the right time (ie, summer vacation).

Most of all, though, it was the readers that made those threads what they were. If you have enough outspoken, fun-loving readers replying to a story it can't help but become a party.

party

ETA: I didn't change Faustian in spite of several opinions sent to me both on and off the list regarding plot points. There was a certain sadistic glee inherent in knowing what was going to happen and how upset everyone was going to be. devil

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard