Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay - LJ is LiveJournal.

And as for everyday versus every day, it's simple: there are two distinct meanings.

Everyday means daily, as in in everyday life.

Every day means each day, as in every day I'm away from you I miss you more.

Smores do sound good, but they're not a British tradition, so it does look odd if they crop up in a UK-set fic with UK characters. I've had a grilled cheese sandwich; it's far too greasy for my liking, given that 'grilled' does not mean the same for Americans as for those of us from the other side of the Atlantic. For us, a grill is what you call a broiler - and for years I had absolutely no idea what 'broiling' was.

There are way too many pitfalls for people writing about cultures different from their own. Recently, for example, I had to point out to another American writer that the occupation of 'busboy' doesn't exist in British restaurants - and certainly not in pubs.

On another matter, you mention 'icons' who don't post on fic, Classicalla. Are you thinking of anyone in particular? Because maybe some of the people you might have in mind aren't really around much any more. I know in the last year or two a number of the older writers have moved on to other things, other fandoms or just don't have time any more. There are all sorts of reasons why people don't post feedback, and it doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't read the fic, or that they read it and didn't like it.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Classicalla:

Well, I’ve been lurking since 1998. But I didn’t start posting until July.
Wow. That is some serious lurking!

Wendy, what does LJ mean?
I'm not Wendy, obviously, but LJ is LiveJournal.

Of course that isn’t always true, but I wonder if some of the folks that are considered ‘icons’ ever take a look at some of the newer authors’ stories. I know they watch for new stories because I see them post when one of those other ‘icons’ post a story.
Well, I'm still new here - or at least I think I am. Now that we've thrown previous fandom experience into the mix, I'm not entirely sure of the formula, but I'm pretty sure I qualify as new in this fandom. I'm "old" in other places, however, so maybe I can offer one possible explanation for the phenomenon you describe, based on my own experiences.

Fandom interest varies in duration from person to person, but if you hang around a fandom long enough and aren't a complete pain in the butt, you're likely to make friends there. And if, while you're making friends, you consistently write readable stories, you're likely to develop some sort of following as an author. Neither of these things necessarily happens overnight, however, and by the time your popularity as an author hits its peak, there's a chance that your interest in the fandom might just be waning. But you have all these friends there, so even though you've reached the point where the thought of reading or writing one more story about _____ makes you slightly queasy, you can't bring yourself to leave the fandom entirely. You move on to other things, yes, whether real life things or new fandom things, but you poke your head in at the old place, too, every now and then, just to touch base with those old friends. Gradually, the authors' names on the new fics get less and less familiar, but every now and then, one of those wonderful old friends - who are, after all, the real reason you poked your head in in the first place - will post a fic. And of course you'll read it. And you'll let them know you read it. And it's really not an insult to the new people that you're doing this, and it doesn't mean that you think they're not capable of writing good stories. It's just that you're more motivated by friendship at this point than by genuine interest in the fandom.

I certainly don't pretend to speak for anyone else here; I just offer the above up as one possible explanation. I honestly don't think that new writers are being denied a "fair shake" from anyone here. It's just kind of the way fandom works - one wave of authors gives way to the next, and then the next, and each successive group has to put in the time to prove themselves.

I have thoughts on the weighty 'everyday' versus 'every day' issue as well (I definitely don't use the former in every case) but it's past midnight, and I need some sleep!

Caroline

Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by Wendymr:

This is correct American usage as well, although too few people are aware of it. :p

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Features Writer
Features Writer
My gadfries, are there really Americans out there that don’t know that Thanksgiving is strictly an American holiday?
Actually, the Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving as well, the second Monday in October. The origins of the Canadian holiday have nothing to do with the Pilgrims, but many of the American "trappings" became common during the Revolutionary War when Americans loyal to Britain moved north to Canada.

and I have to agree that most everything mentioned was from Kerth winners or nominees. Even the ones that aren’t on that list seem to be *mostly* (not all) from older authors / stories. There are some notable exceptions like Sue S.’ Faustian Bargain.
Well, as you mentioned, since this thread deals with "classics", it's not surprising that most of the recommendations are for older stories. And since many of the classics are indeed Kerth nominees/winners, the two go hand-in-hand. And of course there are "classics" that weren't Kerth nominees, so we started this thread .

Now, perhaps this doesn't conform to a strict dictionary definition, but for me, to be a "classic", a story has to have withstood the test of time. That some time (and more than just a few weeks or months) after its publication, people still talk about it, still recommend it, still hold it up as a standard-bearer in the field. So, and no disparagement of "Faustian Bargain" is intended in any way, for me it is not a classic. Yet. Although I imagine that it will be known as that in the future. It's gotten a heck of a lot of buzz, and it deserved the kudos that came its way, because it was a terrific story, but it's still too new for me to call it a classic. Nothing posted this year is a "classic" for me. Not yet.

What I’m wondering is this (and I know it’s been said before): I wonder if newer authors are given a fair shake? It seems that most of the newer authors on this board are also getting feedback from the other newer folks. Of course that isn’t always true, but I wonder if some of the folks that are considered ‘icons’ ever take a look at some of the newer authors’ stories. I know they watch for new stories because I see them post when one of those other ‘icons’ post a story. By ‘icons’ I mean the great ‘older’ writers out there. The ones that have been around for many, many years.
Well, I'm not an 'icon', obviously. I've been around for a number of years now, but my posting feedback in the past year or so has dropped considerably...and I'm not a writer. But I would certainly guess that the major element stopping anyone from posting feedback is, of course, time.

Personally I marvel at the long feedback posts from Ann that begin with her statement that she has virtually no time. Yet then she posts all that. Now, perhaps her thoughts just flow out almost like a stream of consciousness, so she can just type it and hit REPLY. I don't know, but me - I have to go back and rephrase, edit, then edit again before finally ending up with a post that's nowhere near as long. I don't always have the time for that. Sometimes I'm just too lethargic, or too depressed, or unable to think of just what to say at that moment. There could be many other reasons.

My mood often influences my reading. If I've tried part/all of a story by an author that I wasn't particularly excited about, I might only skim over the next couple of things that he/she posts, looking for something that catches my interest. Maybe that will come in the next story, maybe it will be three or four stories down the line.

And maybe the time will never come. Someone (was it Jojo?) mentioned reading some Kerth-nominated/winning stories and not being particularly enthralled by them. Well, obviously enough people disagreed with her, but that doesn't make her wrong, or the stories bad because she didn't like them. They just didn't appeal to her. I can think of the stories of several authors that didn't particularly appeal to me, but then other ones that they've written that I liked very much. Sometimes their writing style has changed somewhat from one story to the next, sometimes it's the story matter.

I must admit that I wonder why it matters if an 'icon' doesn't post. Does that make feedback from one particular person more valid, more respected, somehow? Sure, I can understand the thrill an author would feel if they opened a comments thread and saw "Wow, XXXX read MY story!" But does the fact that no XXXX has posted make the feedback that is there any less constructive, any less genuine?

I feel that I may have misconstrued your comments, Classicalla, and if so I apologize. I do agree that it probably takes most new authors a while to build a reputation in any fandom. Some may "break" in more easily than others. And sometimes the "older" readers aren't reading so much, so they're being more selective in their choices. But the great thing about this fandom is that there are always new people finding us, so the readership for fanfic doesn't diminish, and L&C live on.

Kathy

Oh, and Wendy...

Well, that's the way that I learned it, but I was raised in Canada, so it must be that British influence again. Having lived in the States for about 15 years now, I've adapted to saying "zee" instead of "zed", and it's not too hard for me to write "color" instead of "colour" so people don't comment that I've spelled it wrong, but I don't plan to give up the "every day/everyday" distinction. smile

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Well, I've been around since early 1999 and posted my first story that year. I don't know where that puts me on the "older writers" category, but I think that leaves me out of "icon" status, thank heavens <g>.

I'm just getting back into writing again after an enforced near-hiatus of about 5 months, and I'm still catching up on a million things that I let slide during that time, including writing two stories that need to be finished soon. I've been reading the stories as they hit the Archive, since I don't yet have the time with everything that is still going on to read all the stories being currently posted. Someday in the distant future when life settles down to a sprint, maybe I'll be able to go back to my old style of reading stories as they are posted. I do read the comments, and occasionally get too curious for my own good and end up reading one of the current "in progress" fics, however. When I do, I'll try to make an effort to drop a line in the future.

Nan

P.S. And by the way, thanks to those who mentioned some of my stories as "classics", although I'm a little stunned ...

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
On another matter, you mention 'icons' who don't post on fic, Classicalla. Are you thinking of anyone in particular? Because maybe some of the people you might have in mind aren't really around much any more. I know in the last year or two a number of the older writers have moved on to other things, other fandoms or just don't have time any more. There are all sorts of reasons why people don't post feedback, and it doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't read the fic, or that they read it and didn't like it.
Yes, I know some have moved on - in more ways than one. But there are still icons hanging around here. (And you’ve got to know you are an icon. What LnC fanfiction fan hasn’t read a great Wendy fic?) And I know some of you are pretty busy. I just wonder if some of you know how much that would mean to get a little tidbit? Like Sue S. said: Feedback is like a drug. When Yvonne posted on my fic, I was on Cloud Nine. Surely, I’m not the only one that feels that way. I know some of the newer folks don’t even know who some of you are, but there are a lot who do. I don’t think I could even begin to mention all the great ‘icons’ and I’d be afraid of offending someone anyway. But you aren’t the only ‘icon’ who has posted in this thread.

As I’ve said before though, sometimes even a smiley would be nice. I post on everything I read, and sometimes a smiley is all I’ve had time for. And no, I don’t read everything. I don’t have time. I know not everyone posts on fics they read, but I still wonder why that is. I also try to email the author of every fic I read on the archive. Of course, sometimes that doesn’t work since the emails no longer work. I guess what I’m trying to say is that authors need to know that their work is appreciated. (I’m sure you’ve got to know that.) And when can we twist your arm and get you to write LnC fics again?

It’s just that I’ve noticed that sometimes ‘icons’ post on fics from authors that are also considered ‘icons’, but they don’t post on fics for other authors. And some of those newer authors are pretty darn good.

Yes, Caroline, what you said about making friends is true. I guess my point is is why some folks (the folks that are still very active) automatically ignore the newer authors. (You know they do.)

It seems like I did use everyday and every day when I was younger, but now the lines are blurred.

That’s true about Thanksgiving, Kathy, but I was thinking more of it as the date. I always think of the Canandian Thanksgiving Day as the Canadian Thanksgiving Day and the American one as the American one. I don’t associate the two as the same.

Now, perhaps this doesn't conform to a strict dictionary definition, but for me, to be a "classic", a story has to have withstood the test of time.
Yes, you are right. I probably should have started a new thread, but I was quite frankly too chicken to do so.

I don't know, but me - I have to go back and rephrase, edit, then edit again before finally ending up with a post that's nowhere near as long.
Yes, I can understand that. I guess I must be one of those folks where it flows. Because I also post long feedback. But why do all the rephrasing and editing? (Yes, I do some of that.) Like I said, a smiley is always nice….

I must admit that I wonder why it matters if an 'icon' doesn't post. Does that make feedback from one particular person more valid, more respected, somehow?
No, it doesn’t. I value ALL my feedback as I’m sure all authors do. My point is that some folks don’t seem to give new folks a chance. I try to make a special effort to do so. (I probably fail miserably.) And it’s not only the ‘icons’ who don’t post feedback. There are several others. Some people are afraid to post feedback because they think they might look stupid. I felt that way for many years and I can think of a lot of people that I should have given feedback to that I didn’t. I’m sorry for that.

Don’t get me wrong, Kathy. I’m not begging for feedback. It took me years to finally post my fics, so I’m not going to stop now. It’s just that I’ve noticed that newer authors - NOT just me - (some of whom have written great fics) don’t seem to have the feedback that they should have. Even having someone say, “Well, I tried to read it and I just couldn’t get into it.” would be great. (And I’ve been told that, and I appreciated it.)

Nan, you are an ‘icon’. Your stories are among my favorites. (And by the way, I’m sorry I haven’t posted on Super Cop II. I want to read Super Cop I first.)

So, anyway, I’m hoping you guys didn’t take this the wrong way. It’s just something I’ve been wondering about.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm nowhere near icon status, but I'm perfectly okay with that.

However, I would like to offer another possible explanation about the feedback thing.

I tend to stay as far away from WIP fanfic as possible, because, in other fandoms, the WIPs basically took over my life. I was constantly trying to keep up with one writer or another.

So, on the boards, I only read one-shots, or fics that are complete but not posted on the archive.

Occasionally, as in the case with Sue's Faustian Bargain, I will read a WIP, but it has to be a) something I'm really interested in, or b) almost finished, and definitely going to BE finished.

Sometimes, I'll see a WIP that looks interesting, but I'll pass it by because I don't have time to get caught up in a story that will be a long time getting finished. I think to myself, "Hmmm, that looks interesting; I should read it when they're done."

But then, I think that about so MANY fics, I often forget which fics I thought it about.

That may be the case with some of the icons you mentioned, Nancy, I don't know.

Then again, I could just be weird and scatter-brained. :p

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
KathyM,
I must admit that I wonder why it matters if an 'icon' doesn't post. Does that make feedback from one particular person more valid, more respected, somehow? Sure, I can understand the thrill an author would feel if they opened a comments thread and saw "Wow, XXXX read MY story!" But does the fact that no XXXX has posted make the feedback that is there any less constructive, any less genuine?
No, but I think many newbies lurk for sometime before taking the plunge. In that time they will build up an idolization for certain authors, sometimes those authors might very well be the reason why they take the plunge, when these authors post in their feedback threads it gives the newbies a "touched by god" moment. Perhaps they even feel that they have managed to give something back to their idols. Praise from people we revere always means more then random people on the internet.

Classicalla,

Yes, Caroline, what you said about making friends is true. I guess my point is is why some folks (the folks that are still very active) automatically ignore the newer authors. (You know they do.)
Caroline gave an explanation for this, Old timers sticks around for the buzz after they lost the feverish fannishness. And their sparse feedback is more motivated by friendship then interest in the fandom itself. ie they don't give new stories a chance because they are not really interested in stories anymore.

I don’t have time. I know not everyone posts on fics they read, but I still wonder why that is.
Time is one factor, but to me it’s also a psychological aversion to simple patting people on the back, I know it’s appreciated but it makes me feel empty. Also I only read WIP's from authors whose work I know I like. (and this isn't always a quality decision) I give other authors a whirl when they get to the archive if the blurb fits my preferences.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Actually, I didn't know this. I'd honestly never given it a thought until you brought it up, and since I don't read much at all when I'm writing (which has pretty much been for the last 9 months straight) I don't have much idea about the newer authors - aside from myself, obviously - or who's reading them. But just to clarify my position, I'll say this: I appreciate feedback on my stories. Genuinely, honestly appreciate it. I'm delighted when someone lets me know they're enjoying something I've written. It's not the reason I write it - I'd do that anyway, for myself, because I'm just wired that way - but it's the reason I post it: because I hope others will enjoy it. But when it comes right down to it, if I had my choice between receiving feedback from an author I admire or having a "conversation" with her about her writing, or the writing process, or fandom in general, or the difference between pants and trousers wink , I'd pick the conversation. It's what makes communities like this fun for me - that readers and writers can mingle as peers and have those sorts of conversations. It is one of my true regrets that real life doesn't afford me the time to be more active here in that way, because it seems like such a nice community.

I also know that I lurked in this fandom for quite a few months without ever posting any feedback. I didn't follow too many WIP's (though I did follow "24 Hours" as it was being posted, as I recall, and loved every single post) but I read at the archive and enjoyed myself so much it was almost indecent, yet never sent a single e-mail to any of the authors I admire. I don't really have a good explanation, either. I just...didn't feel like de-lurking, didn't feel like popping my head out. When I did decide to de-lurk, I did it as an author, not as a reader. That was my choice. But why would I now expect the authors I admired from afar as a reader to drop everything and rush to read my stories? If they do, I'm pleased and I hope they enjoy themselves, but I don't expect it of them any more than I expect it of anyone else.

Just my .02 smile

Caroline

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, since Classicalla included me in her 'icon' categorisation, I'll explain my position - which it seems most people know anyway wink

About a year ago, I got sucked into another fandom. Almost exactly a year ago, I posted my first fic in that fandom - as a complete nonentity, a newbie whom no-one knew. Although I was still finishing 24 Hours at the time, and also working on a Christmas L&C fic and a birthday fic for Elena, I didn't have anything like the same excitement for those as for my Doctor Who writing. In fact, for months I was far more prolific in writing for DW than I've ever been in L&C. Yes, you can let your jaws drop. I was pretty stunned myself. My story count on the DW archive (and there've been a couple of short stories I never posted there) is currently 90. Add to that another four stories, one multi-part, that I co-authored and were posted under my co-author's nick... well, it's embarrassing. blush

Thing is, I discovered that I don't seem to be capable of maintaining intense interest in two sets of characters at once. I fell in love with the characters in my other fandom. While I didn't exactly fall out of love with the characters in L&C, I have zero interest in writing about them any more. Though it's true that I was already finding it difficult to sustain motivation even before my fandom shift. Maybe - entirely possible given my story count on the archive - I'm just out of inspiration. But I also don't really feel any desire to read fanfic about L&C any more. Some of my favourite authors have posted long stories in the last year, and I haven't read them - that's a real first. I don't follow new stories on the boards any more.

Those of you who are new here won't know, but I used to read almost everything and if I liked something I would post feedback. I never cared who the author was - a friend, someone I never knew, whatever. So the only reason I haven't commented on fic by new authors I'm hearing are really, really good is that I'm just not reading L&C fic at all.

Caroline said:

you can't bring yourself to leave the fandom entirely. You move on to other things, yes, whether real life things or new fandom things, but you poke your head in at the old place, too, every now and then, just to touch base with those old friends. Gradually, the authors' names on the new fics get less and less familiar, but every now and then, one of those wonderful old friends - who are, after all, the real reason you poked your head in in the first place - will post a fic. And of course you'll read it. And you'll let them know you read it. And it's really not an insult to the new people that you're doing this, and it doesn't mean that you think they're not capable of writing good stories. It's just that you're more motivated by friendship at this point than by genuine interest in the fandom.
That's it absolutely. It's happened a couple of times during the year that a good friend has posted something and I've read it, out of friendship and out of knowing that I've enjoyed their work in the past. Yvonne, for example, is one of my closest friends in the fandom. She posted a story - I read it. (Of course, I also loved it, even if it didn't make me want to read more L&C).

But I do know that there are some wonderful new authors this year, and I'm looking forward to the hot competition for Best New Author in the Kerths smile

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Obviously, any writer would be thrilled to have someone they admire comment on their work. If I wrote a story and someone like, say, CC Aiken, left positive FDK, I'd probably faint clean away. But I haven't really noticed anyone here commenting selectively, that is, leaving FDK only for certain people. It seems that a lot of the older authors aren't commenting on fanfic at *all* anymore. For example, while we do see Wendy and LabRat on the boards, it's not usually in the fanfic folders. I just assumed that it was because real life got in the way or their interests veered in another direction. So I really never viewed it as anything personal. Then again, I haven't posted a story either, so maybe I should just keep my big mouth shut! smile

I also try to email the author of every fic I read on the archive.
I do as well, but I admit that I am not as consistent with this if the author has written a lot of stories. I know they like to hear their work is appreciated as well, it's just that they have so many great stories that I'd be sending them an email every day! Can imagine if I sent Wendy an email for every one of her stories? After a while she might think, I get the point, you annoying girl, leave me alone!

Of course, sometimes that doesn’t work since the emails no longer work.
Nancy, you might try sending them a PM here on the boards. Although obviously not everyone is on the boards, but a lot are. Also I often feel strange sending emails to people I don't know (no idea why) so a PM is more comfortable for me.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I think everyone's given some good reasons as to why there seems to be a lack of feedback these days. I hope this gives new writers who might be feeling discouraged a few things to consider. There are still readers out there! They may just not post as often as you'd like. Hopefully it will also encourage lurkers to not be afraid to post a little feedback sometimes.

In addition, and this is JMO, but new authors are writing from a position of disadvantage in regards to those of us who have been reading for a long time. You know the saying "it's all been done before"? Newer authors and newer readers often are just discovering the pleasures of the archive. I have, however, read nearly every story on the archive and quite a few others that never made it there.

After reading 50+ takes on a subject, most of the angles have already been covered. I'm not saying someone couldn't sweep in here and knock me off my feet, but some of that is a tough act to follow. When you've read "In the Beginning" by Sheila Harper and someone decides to tackle Lois being married to an abusive Lex Luthor and needing Clark Kent's help, you have a serious standard because that is one great story. Plus it has the bonus of being the one I read first. This isn't to say that you can't do it as Sara in "Made to be Broken" did. It's possible, but in true Bloomian fashion, the burden is on you to insert yourself into the tradition by outdoing your predecessors. It's not fair, but it's reality.

I don't say this to discourage anyone. I do, after all, love to read. I live forever in the expectation that some newly fabulous story is going to cross my path. Plus, the longer you write on here and the more you hone your skills, the better the odds are that you are going to write something so great that I'll have to break my rule and start reading. So get to it! smile

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I guess my point is is why some folks (the folks that are still very active) automatically ignore the newer authors. (You know they do.)
I don't believe that I ignore newer authors. I post here these days if I have something to say. Or if I've read the story and enjoyed it. Who the author is doesn't really come into the equation for me; it never has done. What counts is the tale and whether I'm having fun with it.

Actually, to be honest, these days my main criteria is length. I tend to only read vignettes in the main and only then when something about one in particular has sparked my attention. I spend less time in the Fanfic folder than I used to, but I do tend to check it over regularly because I'm an admin, looking for anything that needs to be deleted, moved etc. Along the way, now and then, I see something that catches my eye and intrigues me, so I'll check it out. Who wrote it – I couldn’t care less. laugh

But you have all these friends there, so even though you've reached the point where the thought of reading or writing one more story about _____ makes you slightly queasy, you can't bring yourself to leave the fandom entirely
Caroline sums up perfectly where I currently am with FoLCdom. I simply lost all interest in writing or reading LNC fanfic. By this point, normally, I would have long since moved on to reading/writing for other fandoms, other shows.

In fact, I have moved on in my watching habits – I had quite a long burning obsession with Stargate for a spell and other shows have long since replaced LNC in my affections. But I haven't moved on emotionally from FoLCdom because I have good friends here, I like the atmosphere of these mbs (which are way more polite and friendly than most out there) and so I stick around because I enjoy the company.

It's for the latter reason that even though I don't tend to read much fanfic these days, I do still trawl through the comments folders for them, now and then. I still enjoy the debate, the conversation on fanfic. And, every now and then, I see something that makes me want to comment, too. Or something that intrigues me and so I'll go check out the story. Time factors – and, again, general disinterest in reading anything very long – mean that's usually on the odd vignette.

So, no, it's nothing personal.

This topic has, of course, come up in the past. And I do know that many have answered that they just don't have time in their busy lives to read everything that's posted. So, naturally, they tend to pick out the authors they know they enjoy, who they can reasonably assume won't disappoint them. Yes, this means new authors don't get a fair shake, but you can't force people to read. And I don't believe that anyone reading stories here should feel obliged to post fdk.

I do feel for new authors trying to get attention and am saddened, often, even bemused, by good stories which just don't seem to get noticed the way that they should. I've often spent time trying to think of some way to solve that one, but I've never come up with anything. Perhaps readers could make the time to choose one new author to take a chance on and add them to their reading list. They might just be surprised by what they find. Of course the problem with such an 'Adopt a New Author' scheme is would the same new author get all the attention and all the others still be ignored. laugh There are no easy answers.

And it’s not only the ‘icons’ who don’t post feedback. There are several others. Some people are afraid to post feedback because they think they might look stupid.
Remember that you don't have to post fdk on the forum! If you enjoyed a story, but feel shy or awkward about posting your thoughts on it in public, there are very few authors out there who wouldn't be delighted to find feedback in their email. Which is another point. Just because you don't see someone posting fdk here, doesn't mean they haven't offered it. Perhaps they did in email or PM.

It seems that a lot of the older authors aren't commenting on fanfic at *all* anymore. For example, while we do see Wendy and LabRat on the boards, it's not usually in the fanfic folders. I just assumed that it was because real life got in the way or their interests veered in another direction.
And, see, you were right. <g> Actually, to be honest, I really, really wish I could still drum up some interest in reading LNC fanfic.(Or, come to think of it, any fanfic. It's not just LNC. I haven't found any interest in reading Stargate or other fanfic for quite some time now, either) I really miss being involved in the fandom and this forum to that extent. Sometimes, I think I'm missing out on all the good fun. goofy But I'm afraid the interest just isn't there, other than the occasional spark as mentioned above, and I simply can't force or fake it.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
No, but I think many newbies lurk for sometime before taking the plunge. In that time they will build up an idolization for certain authors, sometimes those authors might very well be the reason why they take the plunge, when these authors post in their feedback threads it gives the newbies a "touched by god" moment. Perhaps they even feel that they have managed to give something back to their idols. Praise from people we revere always means more then random people on the internet.
Well, said, Arawn.

I'll say this: I appreciate feedback on my stories. Genuinely, honestly appreciate it. I'm delighted when someone lets me know they're enjoying something I've written. It's not the reason I write it
Oh, don’t get me wrong. I love my feedback, too. And it’s also not the reason I write, but yes, I’ll stick by my guns and say that sometimes the newer authors are ignored. (And me bringing this up isn’t the first time I’ve heard it. I’ve seen it in older threads, other boards / fandoms, and I’ve heard it in emails. I’ve even emailed a couple of people encouraging them to post their fics on this board, and I was told they were intimidated by the idea.) I’ve seen newer fics be posted and it may be awhile before anyone posts. A rare few don’t even get a nibble.

but I read at the archive and enjoyed myself almost indecently, yet never sent a single e-mail to any of the authors I admire. I don't really have a good explanation, either. I just...didn't feel like de-lurking, didn't feel like popping my head out.
Even when I lurked, I often tried to tell authors that I liked their stories when I read them on the archive. Maybe I’m just different than most folks.

That was my choice. But why would I now expect the authors I admired from afar as a reader to drop everything and rush to read my stories?
No, you misunderstand. I’m not suggesting they drop everything and read my stories or any other new authors. This idea about new authors being ignored was presented to me a few months ago. So I started watching. I haven’t read all the newer stories by newer authors, but I have from time to time checked feedback. I’ve found a pattern there - the one I’ve already mentioned. Now, if I had time, I’d like to do a statistical analysis of it, but hey.. I don’t.

In fact, for months I was far more prolific in writing for DW than I've ever been in L&C.
More? Good gadfries, girl, that’s a lot of writing.

But I haven't really noticed anyone here commenting selectively, that is, leaving FDK only for certain people.
I have. And I’ve been watching.

Then again, I haven't posted a story either, so maybe I should just keep my big mouth shut!
Sure you did, Mrs. Mosley - Damn Good Thing. I read it, I know. (And I double checked to make sure you wrote it.)

Can imagine if I sent Wendy an email for every one of her stories? After a while she might think, I get the point, you annoying girl, leave me alone!
Would an author really think this? I mean if you kept going on and on about the same story, it might be different, but would they really get upset about getting an email for each of their different stories?

Nancy, you might try sending them a PM here on the boards. Although obviously not everyone is on the boards, but a lot are. Also I often feel strange sending emails to people I don't know (no idea why) so a PM is more comfortable for me.
Yes, I know, but some of them are long gone from the board, too.

Hopefully it will also encourage lurkers to not be afraid to post a little feedback sometimes.
Yes, Capes, this is one of the things I’m trying to say. For so many years, I read and read stuff on the archive (and here). Did I ever tell the authors how I felt about their stories? Rarely. Until recently, I think the only folks I’d ever emailed was Wendy and Nan. I’m ashamed of myself for doing that because I’ve read about ½ the stuff on the archive.

It's possible, but in true Bloomian fashion, the burden is on you to insert yourself into the tradition by outdoing your predecessors. It's not fair, but it's reality.
I totally understand this. I just see so many fics and I wonder if some folks even try to read a few paragraphs to see if it’s worth it?

Along the way, now and then, I see something that catches my eye and intrigues me, so I'll check it out. Who wrote it – I couldn’t care less.
Well, Labby, I ‘m not doubting that (I know you are busy), but this made a thought occur to me. If all the stories were posted without authors listed, then how would we choose our stories? I’m not suggesting this happen (I know that’s been done before, and I really don’t want to go there again.)

Yes, I know everyone is busy. I hope all of you haven’t taken this the wrong way, but it truly is something I wonder about. I wonder how many authors have just quit writing because no one has given them a nibble. (Of course there are a few writers that it might be better if they did stop. I think you know what I mean, LabRat. I just emailed you about it.)

This topic has, of course, come up in the past. And I do know that many have answered that they just don't have time in their busy lives to read everything that's posted. So, naturally, they tend to pick out the authors they know they enjoy, who they can reasonably assume won't disappoint them. Yes, this means new authors don't get a fair shake, but you can't force people to read. And I don't believe that anyone reading stories here should feel obliged to post fdk.
Just think what might have happened if no one had given Sue S. a chance? We might not have had that soon to be classic Faustian Bargain. Yes, like I said, I understand the reasons, I just wanted to know if people realized they were not giving new authors a chance (evidently a lot of folks do). And I wasn’t suggesting that people should feel obliged to post feedback. I’m just saying that people should be more conscientious about it. If they *read* something, then why not post some little something - good or bad? And I know there are a lot of people who read but never post a thing. I know because I did it for years.

Perhaps readers could make the time to choose one new author to take a chance on and add them to their reading list.
Exactly!! But you wouldn’t want just one new author ‘adopted’. I see that more as each reader adopting a person not the board adopting a new author. I just read two new stories last night - both from new authors. Of course one of them has been around the boards for a while, but I only found one other thing posted. Even if I don’t continue to read those stories, I gave them a shot - and I posted feedback. What I’m trying to say is that once in a while folks need to give the newbies a shot. Yes, I know everybody is busy, but the *next* time any of you are looking for some little vignette to read or some new story to read, then give a new guy a shot.

Remember that you don't have to post fdk on the forum! If you enjoyed a story, but feel shy or awkward about posting your thoughts on it in public, there are very few authors out there who wouldn't be delighted to find feedback in their email. Which is another point. Just because you don't see someone posting fdk here, doesn't mean they haven't offered it. Perhaps they did in email or PM.
Yes, you are right. I’m just trying to encourage people to do so. I never realized the importance of it or the significance of it until I posted a story. I’m sure there are so many other people who feel the same. It is important!! New or old author - it’s important.

(Or, come to think of it, any fanfic. It's not just LNC. I haven't found any interest in reading Stargate or other fanfic for quite some time now, either)
But I bet like most of us, all of you will one day again have your interest piqued. When it is, give a new author a shot. Okay? I do totally understand the above. I can’t for the life of me imagine reading anything Star Trek now.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
But I bet like most of us, your interest will one day again be piqued. When it is, give a new author a shot. Okay?
I know you're making general points aimed at a number of people, Classicalla, but this seems directed to LabRat - and LabRat, I can assure you, had a reputation (when she was still reading L&C fic) of always reading new authors and posting encouraging feedback. So please don't blanket every old-timer with the same criticism, hmm? Thanks smile

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Features Writer
Features Writer
having a "conversation" with her about her writing, or the writing process, or fandom in general, or the difference between pants and trousers , I'd pick the conversation.
Speaking of "conversations." It seems to me like the fandom hit its peak maybe a year ago perhaps? I wonder about this because when I was searching for an answer to a fanfic related question, I had I ran into a bunch of really interesting discussions on the show, fanfic writing, fandom, etc. It seems for obvious reasons that the fandom in general was much more active (although I might be wrong in this impression). It's such a shame that a lot of those discussions don't happen so much any more. Either way you "old timers" were lucky to have had the chance to participate in so many great discussions smile

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Nancy,

Oh, don’t get me wrong. I love my feedback, too.
When I read this, I realized that my post might have been confusing. I didn't mean at all to suggest that you didn't appreciate the feedback you receive. Good heavens, no! My point was actually later in the paragraph, but my wording wasn't clear, and I do apologize for that.

I don't know that I agree with you completely on this issue. Or, rather, I agree that the situation probably exists to some extent, but I see it as a natural part of fandom - an initiation period for new authors, if you will. Those that stick around and prove themselves will build a following eventually, even if it doesn't happen with their first story.

That said, you've inspired me to be a better reviewer in the future. I'm planning to do quite a bit of catch-up reading when I finish the current WIP, and I hereby promise to review each author faithfully, either here or privately. smile

Best,

Caroline

Features Writer
Features Writer
I realize that no one is asking specifically why I am not posting, but I can only offer my perspective. Maybe elements of it also ring true for others.

My heyday in posting feedback was for about 18 months right after these boards opened in 2003. I had lurked on Zoom's since 2000, but had never posted feedback on any story. When these boards first opened I was very active. No, I didn't post feedback on every story, or every story part, but I commented on many of the stories posted. During this time, NEW authors included Lynn, CC, Elle, Sara, Roger, Jo, and Aria. I commented on stories by all.

Now I'm posting very little feedback at all. Some of the reasons are common to many people, some are reasons solely my own. I am highly embarrassed to admit that I only made 10 blush feedback posts in Fanfic in 2006; however, 5 were for stories posted by authors who will all be eligible in the New Author category this year. And ALL of my posts in nfic have been to authors new or almost-new to the fandom this year. That means 50% of my posts in Fanfic have been for stories by new authors. Admittedly, since the number is only 5 it's a pretty abysmal account. Most people would probably have said "Oh, Kathy almost never gives feedback anymore" and they'd be right, but it seems that when I actually do offer it, it's to comment on a new author as often as an old one.

When I was a "newbie" to posting I commented on many things, including stories by the new authors. Now the "newbies" to posting are commenting on many things, including the new authors. The same pattern holds.

Maybe many of you will continue to be prolific posters even after several years. I wish I could be, and one day I hope to be participating more again.

And on a different note:
guess I must be one of those folks where it flows. Because I also post long feedback. But why do all the rephrasing and editing? (Yes, I do some of that.)
It's taken me 40 minutes to write and rewrite this before hitting the ADD REPLY button. Maybe I do more editing than I need to (yes, I do realize that this isn't a letter being sent out to some important dignitary), but it's very important for me to try to explain my thoughts as clearly as possible. When you don't have the tonal qualities that color what is being said, misunderstandings can easily crop up. And they have - both for me and for posts that I have responded to - more than once, so I prefer to err on the side of caution. And I'm equally careful with a feedback post, since I am commenting on an author's "baby", and I want to say it "just right".

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Speaking of "conversations." It seems to me like the fandom hit its peak maybe a year ago perhaps? I wonder about this because when I was searching for an answer to a fanfic related question, I had I ran into a bunch of really interesting discussions on the show, fanfic writing, fandom, etc. It seems for obvious reasons that the fandom in general was much more active (although I might be wrong in this impression). It's such a shame that a lot of those discussions don't happen so much any more. Either way you "old timers" were lucky to have had the chance to participate in so many great discussions
Alcyone, I have thought the exact same thing. We do have some interesting conversations now (the Faustian FDK threads certainly spring to mind) but they don't seem to be as frequent or as varied as I have seen in older threads. Also I often run across stories in the archive that were in response to wildy varied challenges, and we don't seem to have that much lately either. When I see stuff like that I really regret that I wasn't in this fandom years ago to have been part of all that.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
(Of course there are a few writers that it might be better if they did stop. I think you know what I mean, LabRat. I just emailed you about it.)
I haven't received any email from you, Nancy (yet), so to be honest I haven't the faintest idea what you mean by this. Although now I'm deeply intrigued. laugh

But I have to say that I, personally, know of no authors who shouldn't be writing and posting here. If a writer is having fun making up stories and wants to share them with other fans, well done to them, I say!

One other thing I wanted to comment on and forgot to last time. The idea that these days it's only new readers who are commenting on new authors. (Sorry, I can't remember who it was who made this point.) Although I think this is true only up to a point, it seems to me to be not only entirely inevitable, but pretty normal, besides.

As you say, the bulk of old timers have moved on to other pursuits. A new influx of writers has come along. With them, has come a new influx of readers. We are, in effect, seeing the 'next generation' of the community interacting together.

So it seems obvious that these will be the people commenting on stories these days. The new FoLCs who are currently active. Just as we once had a group of people who wrote, read and commented, they have moved on and been replaced by a new group. Such is the way of forums and fandoms. I seriously doubt this forum is any different in that respect to the hundreds of others out there.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard