Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#152730 11/06/06 04:47 PM
Capes Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
The poll on googling oneself brought this to my attention. When I google myself it's looking good, but when I used the search engine of altavista I came up with old posts to the old archive list.

Is that a list no one has access to anymore or can someone blind that so it's not readily available to the public?

**~~**

Swoosh --->
#152731 11/06/06 10:35 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What's an old archive list? <G>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#152732 11/07/06 06:29 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
This archive?

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#152733 11/07/06 10:06 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No, that archive is a PG13/Gfic mailing list. This is nfic. Could it be the nfic mailing list Demi set up? Is that the one you mean, Rach?

ETA: I tried various searches of Yahoo, but couldn't find the nfic mailing list. Perhaps Demi removed it. Can you remove those? I have no clue how they work.

By the looks of it though, if it is one of the Yahoo mailing lists you're talking about, Rach, it should be relatively easy for the person in charge of the list to change the settings so that archived messages can't be accessed unless you join the group.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#152734 11/07/06 02:50 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by LabRat:
No, that archive is a PG13/Gfic mailing list.
Yes, but it's hosted at nfanfic.net.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#152735 11/07/06 04:13 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
If this is what I think it is...

The fanfic mailing list, now hosted on Yahoo, was for years hosted on a university server somewhere in Indiana - the list-owner was a student there when she set it up. She left, got on with her life and so on, and eventually the webmaster there told her they couldn't host the list any more. So we moved to Yahoo.

But before the old messages were deleted from the server someone saved them all (I don't know who) and Annette offered to host them on Annesplace . Annesplace's principal URL is nfanfic.net, although the nfic archive there is only a small part of what exists on that site.

Hope this clears up the mystery!

Wendy smile
(old-timer and with too long a memory for her own good goofy )

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#152736 11/08/06 12:46 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The fanfic mailing list, now hosted on Yahoo, was for years hosted on a university server somewhere in Indiana - the list-owner was a student there when she set it up. She left, got on with her life and so on, and eventually the webmaster there told her they couldn't host the list any more. So we moved to Yahoo.
Ye gods, I remember all of that, too. And it was centuries ago.

LabRat (suddenly feeling very old...)

The Musketeers
#152737 11/08/06 08:35 AM
Capes Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Yes, Wendy. That's the one I mean.

Unfortunately, if I google myself, I keep getting hits on those old emails. Not that anyone cares that I was asking questions about where Clark Kent keeps his cape, but I guess Anne is the one to ask about this then.

**~~**

Swoosh --->

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard