Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Capes Old Nfanfic list - 11/06/06 08:47 PM
The poll on googling oneself brought this to my attention. When I google myself it's looking good, but when I used the search engine of altavista I came up with old posts to the old archive list.

Is that a list no one has access to anymore or can someone blind that so it's not readily available to the public?
Posted By: LabRat Re: Old Nfanfic list - 11/07/06 02:35 AM
What's an old archive list? <G>

LabRat smile
Posted By: rivka Re: Old Nfanfic list - 11/07/06 10:29 AM
This archive?
Posted By: LabRat Re: Old Nfanfic list - 11/07/06 02:06 PM
No, that archive is a PG13/Gfic mailing list. This is nfic. Could it be the nfic mailing list Demi set up? Is that the one you mean, Rach?

ETA: I tried various searches of Yahoo, but couldn't find the nfic mailing list. Perhaps Demi removed it. Can you remove those? I have no clue how they work.

By the looks of it though, if it is one of the Yahoo mailing lists you're talking about, Rach, it should be relatively easy for the person in charge of the list to change the settings so that archived messages can't be accessed unless you join the group.

LabRat smile
Posted By: rivka Re: Old Nfanfic list - 11/07/06 06:50 PM
Originally posted by LabRat:
No, that archive is a PG13/Gfic mailing list.
Yes, but it's hosted at nfanfic.net.
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Old Nfanfic list - 11/07/06 08:13 PM
If this is what I think it is...

The fanfic mailing list, now hosted on Yahoo, was for years hosted on a university server somewhere in Indiana - the list-owner was a student there when she set it up. She left, got on with her life and so on, and eventually the webmaster there told her they couldn't host the list any more. So we moved to Yahoo.

But before the old messages were deleted from the server someone saved them all (I don't know who) and Annette offered to host them on Annesplace . Annesplace's principal URL is nfanfic.net, although the nfic archive there is only a small part of what exists on that site.

Hope this clears up the mystery!

Wendy smile
(old-timer and with too long a memory for her own good goofy )
Posted By: LabRat Re: Old Nfanfic list - 11/08/06 04:46 AM
The fanfic mailing list, now hosted on Yahoo, was for years hosted on a university server somewhere in Indiana - the list-owner was a student there when she set it up. She left, got on with her life and so on, and eventually the webmaster there told her they couldn't host the list any more. So we moved to Yahoo.
Ye gods, I remember all of that, too. And it was centuries ago.

LabRat (suddenly feeling very old...)
Posted By: Capes Re: Old Nfanfic list - 11/08/06 12:35 PM
Yes, Wendy. That's the one I mean.

Unfortunately, if I google myself, I keep getting hits on those old emails. Not that anyone cares that I was asking questions about where Clark Kent keeps his cape, but I guess Anne is the one to ask about this then.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards