Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#150906 06/02/06 08:20 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I have the first installment in the K-Factor, a LnC/SG1 crossover, series nearly finished. It just needs a little polishing and I think it will be ready.

However, one of my betas is suggesting that I don't post it. Says that it is really not a story, since it doesn't have a conflict/resolution feel to it.

I respect the opinion of this person, a lot, and am willing to cannibalize the story and fit it into, more fleshed out, future stories, but part of me is also telling me to go ahead and post it, just to see if anyone thinks the concept is any good.

I knew from the beginning, that several of the 'stories' I plan on writing for this series are going to fall under the heading of Missing Scene.

Basically, the first story has Clark seeing something he shouldn't have and him snooping around for more information. This is a pre-pilot, Clark is still in college, story and no Lois is in this story, but she will be making a cameo in the third story, with more of her showing up until Season 1 of LnC meshes together around the time frame of mid-Season 6 of SG1.

I could tell you more but then who would want to read it.

So, should I hold off on it and shoe horn it, flashback style, in or do I post it knowing that it doesn't quite qualify as fleshed out story?

James.

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Kerth
Kerth
There's nothing wrong with posting a series of vignettes. Sometimes the joy of a story is in a certain phrasing or the way it makes you feel.

Even if you do write something else later that these vignettes would fit with, they're your stories - there's nothing that says you can't cannibalize them for use again.

If you have it written and you want to share I say go for it!

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, it doesn't really need to be a 'proper' story, James. Part of the brief of the boards has always been that authors can use it as a 'sounding board' to test out bits and pieces.

So I don't see any reason why you can't post what you have now if that's what suits you. Posting it now doesn't in any way preclude you incorporating it into a larger story later.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I thought it was interesting James. I think people here will enjoy what you have, so I say go ahead and post.
thumbsup
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
My vote goes with "post it" too. If you want to incorporate it into something else later, I don't see why you couldn't. And as LabRat points out, we aren't posting only plot-driven, finished stories here. If it's more of a fragment or as you say, missing scene sort of thing, it will just make us all clamor for more (of course, we would all clamor for more even if it's a complete, finished story, you know goofy ).

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard