Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#150529 04/20/06 01:05 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:
Y'all, we shouldn't be too tough on any language where 'fat chance' and 'slim chance' mean essentially the same thing.
lol
that has to be the best post ive seen ever

well maybe that was exadgerated a bit...but it still tasted better than sex...

I call'em bum bags... F$#@$ is used here quite commonly though it is frowned apon....and i hate when i slip into the crass lowerclss usage of the word as a supurlative... i mean i am an intelegent person, why should i use a wqord like F(*&$ when it is in no way expresses my feeling of frustrations

i too would love to be a linguist or etamologist in my next life ... there just isnt enough time, and i suppose it is more profitable to be an amator linguist than an amator psychiatrist

http://www.silverladder.com/literature/chinglish/light2.jpg
is one great example of chinglish in action.... the whole site is great

i guess i have a headache now, so will continue this later (unless i get distracted)

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#150530 04/20/06 01:11 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
gosh my grammer is crap...

F*&^* in no way expresses my frustrations

(delete the extra IS from -in no way IS exresses... or change expresses to expressing.)

i should be better than this but as i said i have a headache and am rambling....

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#150531 04/20/06 01:38 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just FYI, beethoven - if you want to edit a post just click on the little pad and pen icon in the post header and that will let you back in to make any changes you want. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#150532 04/23/06 05:13 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
The f word is quite an all encompasing word. F is worse than s to me. F can also be more directed at a person, which feels worse.

Growing up I was never allowed to say sod, buggar or bloody and my mum grew was in the UK until she was a teenager.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#150533 04/24/06 08:46 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
About the s-word...well, I was going through my personal movie collection (of about three movies goofy ) and I noticed that my Back to the Future movie was rated "unsuitable for kids under 11", which I'm rather sure is somewhat equal to your rating pg13. And the thought struck me; Marty must use the s-word more often than I use semmicolons in a fic (ask poor Labby. I overuse them constantly...I love them so much I even have them in my tea). So, err, shouldn't the Back to the Future movie(s) be rated higher if the s-word is so harch?

"How many times must I tell you? Queens consume nectars and ambrosia, not hot dogs."
#150534 04/24/06 02:11 PM
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Back to the Future is rated PG in the US. I think the S word is considered fairly benign in this country. My parents, who were extremely conservative in what we were allowed to watch as kids, never had a problem letting us watch the Back to the Future films wink . Alhough admittedly I think my mom was more concerned about our exposure to violence, etc, than profanity.

Bloody= a general superlative such as damn or sugar or whatever... and in the US F### has taken on the same meaning
I don't think that's really true. I certainly hear the F word around here, on a college campus, but if you said it in front of your average six year old I bet her mother would be more annoyed than if you'd said damn wink To me, the F word is always offensive, on a level above all the rest. In any context. It's used like there's no tomorrow by the college students around me, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I swear more these days than I did in high school, but that is definitely where I draw the line.

It's interesting to see how these things change from country to country, though!

Kaylle

(who is reminded of a formal dance at her school a couple years ago where the first song she remembers being played had a chorus of women singing "F*** me" every so many bars. Because that's romantic cat )

#150535 04/24/06 02:31 PM
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
interesting - such a diversity of opinion. I'm not going to defend the use of either the S word or the F word, but I find the former much more offensive, probably because the f-word is colloquial for something rather pleasant, and the S word is, well, not.

Probably much better it we all stick to the Latin. smile

c

#150536 04/24/06 03:31 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by ccmalo:
. . . probably because the f-word is colloquial for something rather pleasant . . .
Well, sort of. Until fairly recently, it had a strong implication of nasty/tawdry, and possibly even assault. In fact, the first time I heard it used in a "nice" manner, I was shocked. (Admittedly, I grew up pretty sheltered. I was at least 12 or 13 before I found out that "snafu" didn't stand for System Normal, All Fouled Up. wink )

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#150537 04/24/06 03:38 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
such a diversity of opinion
I suppose this is probably why my mother refused to let me use either one, ever. Same goes for basically any other word that is considered offensive in any English speaking country. I still remember the time a native French speaker I knew walked into a room full of elderly, American Southern Baptists and said cheerfully (and too loudly), "F***ing good day isn't it?"

You could have heard a pin drop. That was a definite conversation killer, poor guy.

Although you wouldn't catch me saying "oh sugar" either, because that just cracks me up.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
#150538 04/24/06 06:58 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Ehh... forgive a poor Swedish slob here, but what's wrong with "oh sugar"?

Ann

#150539 04/24/06 09:44 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I think one of the most interesting elements to come out of this discussion is how many false perceptions we have about how taboo (or not) a particular word is in a particular country. I've certainly had a few surprises.

SNAFU - haven't heard that one in years. LOL. I was always a little fond of using FUBAR myself. (F%£$%£ Up Beyond All Recognition). Or for polite company, you could substitue 'Fouled'. <g> Just doesn't have the same resonance somehow, though. wink

My lawyer boss had a good sense of humour and I used to scrawl that one a lot on cases that had gone awry when I left them on his desk for his attention. (Although he was rather more fond of seeing 'This one's a SOBP' (Some Other Bugger's Problem) goofy )

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#150540 04/24/06 11:32 PM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
The f- word...

I certainly don't use it in English. Never, ever.

But there's this word, its Greek equivalent. It's considered a very bad curseword; telling someone to 'f#$% off' is one of the worst things you can tell them.

But there's an exception. In Greek, when something goes wrong, you can say 'Oh, f#$% it!' (as if you were saying 'Oh, f#$%!' in English) and, while I avoid using it in front of parents/teachers, it's pretty much acceptable. Now, if you were to replace 'it' with anything else (which is something that many people do), it would become a very heavy curseword again.

When you think about it, it's weird.

(I don't swear much - in fact, I swear much less than most people I know. But 'f#$% it' is something I do say. Always with 'it', though.)

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#150541 04/25/06 01:00 AM
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I suppose this is probably why my mother refused to let me use either one, ever. Same goes for basically any other word that is considered offensive in any English speaking country.
I think we had the same mother. laugh

As well on my mom's list. callling anyone 'Stupid'.

Re the meaning of the F word - read Lady Chatterly's Lover when a teen and that pretty much shaped my perceptioin of the word. smile Oddly, it's only since the words' overuse in the last decade have I come also to see it as a violent word.

Back to my orginal query at the start: my author was using it satirically - her little riff made the point about the word.

As for the S -word I've always thought the only people who could find pleasure in the word were rubber-gloved CSI guys scouring a crime scene. laugh

c

#150542 04/25/06 03:21 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
ive heard two theories of the F word's origen
1. Fornication Under Consent of the King (F.#.*.K)
the initials were posted above the first legal brothels in england ... but i cant remember which king legallised prostitution as long as it was "controlled" in a brothel

2. the other is from the saxon part of our ANGLO-SAXON heriitage. originally it meant something similar...

I am not sure how you wouldd phrase the word in a satirical way... perhaps even the most sheltered 13yr olds have heard the word at least once, so by alluding to it in a similar way as in F@#$% etc. could be enough

#150543 04/25/06 04:00 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
the initials were posted above the first legal brothels in england ... but i cant remember which king legallised prostitution as long as it was "controlled" in a brothel
This, I believe, has been debunked in recent years as popular myth.

The word definitely has Anglo-Saxon origins, but beyond that, I have no clue.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#150544 04/25/06 04:44 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
yeah well these were just two theories... i never said either were 100% accurate...

i still think the word is use nowdays far more for its shock value, which adds to the superlative nature of the word

#150545 04/25/06 05:46 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ehh... forgive a poor Swedish slob here, but what's wrong with "oh sugar"?
There's nothing wrong with that expression, actually. As you probably already know, it's used instead of a different S word sometimes, and at least where I live, usually by elderly women who are more genteel. I was just stating that, while I didn't find it offensive, I would feel like my grandmother if I used that expression.

Sorry for the confusion there smile

**~~**

Swoosh --->
#150546 04/25/06 06:08 AM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Originally posted by LabRat:
This, I believe, has been debunked in recent years as popular myth.

The word definitely has Anglo-Saxon origins, but beyond that, I have no clue.

Oxford dictionary lists no clear etymology, but given that the first recorded written instance of it (as a verb) in 1503 was spelled with two "k"s an "i" and a "t", I'd guess it's a myth after all. Then again... the didn't really spell so well back then. goofy

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#150547 04/25/06 07:59 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
As you probably already know, it's used instead of a different S word sometimes
No, honestly, Capes, I don't know what S word you are referring to. Do you mean that four-letter X-rated S word that has already been discussed here? What other S word could you possibly be talking about? Sweetheart? Stupid? Silly me? Suck, as in "It sucks"? Please enlighten me.

Ann

#150548 04/25/06 09:10 AM
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Do you mean that four-letter X-rated S word that has already been discussed here?
That's the one.

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard