Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#150509 04/18/06 12:03 AM
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I'm currently betaing a fic, which has made brief use of the word "f..."

I've censored the word in this post, but my question is, is that a requirement for the Archives and these mbs?

When I was writing Yesterday Upon the Stair, I was told I couldn't use that particular word in an Archives fic, and so I didn't.

But I'm thinking times have changed somewhat since then. Yvonne used the word "shit" which I personally find a stronger expletive than "f...", and I've noticed "bugger" in a couple of fics (can't remember which, sorry).

So shall I tell the author it's okay? It really is a good little scene. smile

c.

#150510 04/18/06 12:49 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The F word is not acceptable anywhere on this forum, other than in the nfic folder, Carol. Actually, I believe it's included here in the automatic system which censors out unacceptable words. So even if you had used it in your post, it probably wouldn't have appeared.

Nor is it accepted as being within the PG13 rating on the Archive and it would certainly be edited out by a GE upon submission.

And, just for the record, as EIC of the Archive, I wouldn't consider 'shit' to be acceptable either. If there is an instance of it being on the Archive, then all I can think of is that it slipped through in error. And I believe, IIRC, that Yvonne was advised that it couldn't be used in her stories here on the mbs.

Bugger...that would depend on the context and may well be a cultural divide. It's not considered a strong word at all here in the UK. In fact, it's considered very mild. I have no idea what the status of it is outside the UK, however, and it may well be that elsewhere it's considered stronger.

That's part of the problem with drawing a dividing line. The variation in offence taken around the world by various words. I know that recently I was quite shocked to see a particular word appear in a post here on this forum. I'd been told in very strong terms years ago that it was on a par with the F word when I inadvertantly used it, thinking it was something mild. However, I discovered when I brought it up with the other admins that in the US it's not considered terribly awful at all.

But I think most cultures are in agreement about the F word being beyond PG13. I wouldn't be surprised if that's probably about the only one we agree on. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#150511 04/18/06 02:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I remember that the word 'shit' appeared in Yvonne's 'Addicted', Labby. It's the last word of the story, in fact wink But Googling the Archive for this word brings up twelve mentions of it.

I have no further comments on the subject:D

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#150512 04/18/06 03:16 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by LabRat:
Bugger...that would depend on the context and may well be a cultural divide. It's not considered a strong word at all here in the UK. In fact, it's considered very mild. I have no idea what the status of it is outside the UK, however, and it may well be that elsewhere it's considered stronger.

LabRat smile
Hmmm... I always thought that that was a rather strong swear word in the UK, akin to the F word since when I first heard of it it was associated with perverted sex.

Just did a yahoo search and the first thing it brings up is Bugger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Same results with Google.

So, it has a broader meaning. Still, I would find it surprising if it turned up in a FOLC FanFic.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#150513 04/18/06 03:16 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What you should look at, Anna, is the dates on those stories. There are always some things which slip through the cracks, and there was a time, too, when stories on the Archive weren't GEd.

It's very, very difficult for any EIC to give GEs a definitive list of what's acceptable and what isn't. GEs largely have to use their own common sense, taking advice from the EIC as appropriate, and where necessary try to establish precedent from what's already on the Archive. Sometimes new policy will be made, either because a pattern seems to be established or some reader will point out something that slipped through the cracks and it's felt that GEs need to be updated on what's acceptable and what isn't.

With the s-word example, a couple of years ago (or maybe not quite that long; I can't remember exactly) LabRat in her capacity as EIC emailed all GEs to tell us that it's Archive policy that the s-word is not acceptable - I think before then most of us were working to the principle that it wasn't, but maybe one or two GEs didn't realise, or didn't see the word as quite beyond the PG13 line. Now, we all know what the policy is so we're working to the same standards on that one.

But in general you have to remember that editing stories for PG13 content is very much a judgement call. And some things are clear-cut (the f-word, for example), while others are less so. And often things will only get clarified if someone points out a potential problem. We're only human, after all. wink

And editing to comment on 'bugger' - yes, James, that's the literal meaning, but it's actually almost never used in that context in the UK. It's just used as a fairly mild swear-word, maybe something akin to 'dammit'. Anyway, it's not that uncommon for words to depart from their original meaning and become somewhat more acceptable - I was surprised to discover that 'jerk' is considered pretty inoffensive, given its original meaning; I wouldn't expect to see a British slang term with a similar meaning (beginning with W, for anyone wondering) to appear in a PG13 fic.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#150514 04/18/06 03:40 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, now when I see it in other UK-centric fandoms, I will have to think twice about their use of it. Thank you Wendy! laugh

As for the change in meaning of words, like jerk, I totally understand. In the states, it basically means a rude person or someone being 'chumpy' wink

However, from Elisabeth's background, it totally means something else. To her and hers, it brings to mind a 'soda jerk', which is someone that works at one of those old-fashioned ice cream parlors where they make soda/pop by combining flavorings with soda water.

Words are strange and wonderful things!

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#150515 04/18/06 04:15 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And editing to comment on 'bugger' - yes, James, that's the literal meaning, but it's actually almost never used in that context in the UK. It's just used as a fairly mild swear-word, maybe something akin to 'dammit'. Anyway, it's not that uncommon for words to depart from their original meaning and become somewhat more acceptable
Yes, exactly, that's why I said it depended on the context. If it's used in the normal way for the UK, it's really a very mild expletive. Dammit is a very good comparison, Wendy. I had in mind 'bloody', but dammit is a better one. If someone was to use it in its literal sense, it would probably be unsuitable for PG13.

And, of course, 'sod' is another example. You certainly wouldn't want to use it in its original sense. laugh But that's another one that's been downgraded over time, come adrift from its literal meaning, and become a mild, even comedic, expletive. As in 'sod off'.

LabRat smile (who finds the origins of and changes in words fascinating...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#150516 04/18/06 05:26 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I posted a story in the nfic folder, using alternate term for someone's rear end and it showed up as "***" so I went back and edited to make it "a**" just so anyone reading it wouldn't wonder what the heck I was trying to say. I find it curious and funny that blatant sex gets through fine but one mere word (used in the context of teasing and not as part of a sexual description) gets edited out.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#150517 04/18/06 05:40 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Heh. The reason for that, Sue, is that the board filters can't tell context. There's a list of words that are filtered out, no matter what the context is. And, if I remember correctly, the filter can't be turned off for one section of the board. It's either on or off.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#150518 04/18/06 05:50 AM
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks for the explanation, Labrat. smile

Wendy, you're right about the timing with respect to 'S...'. I just googled the archive, and only 2 of those listed as containing the word were posted within the last 2 years - Damaged and Addicted. The others were all earlier. So Lab's memo to GEs seems to have had some effect.

About 'f... - interesting how these words are used differently. I think in North America 'f...' is more likely used in those situations where UK usage would be 'b.....'. In origin, the two words mean essentially (loosely interpreted smile ) the same thing.

Btw, back in the very early 20th century, "rock and roll" was orginally a slang term for the sex act (back in the very early 20th century. It then got redefined. laugh

Although ... to use the phrase "Sex, drugs, and rock and roll" is a tad redundant. laugh (way off topic now)

Anyway, I'll pass this on to the author of the story I'm betaing - she'll have to cut the scene, which is too bad because it was funny.

c

#150519 04/18/06 06:47 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Really? She'll have to cut the whole scene? Seems to me she'd want to find a way to rephrase, instead -- there are milder versions of the "f" word. (Unless of course the context is a limerick and she needs a rhyme for "duck" goofy Then she might be stuck.) English is a wonderful language like that -- tons of different words for basically the same thing, with slightly different connotations. smile But of course it's totally up to her.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#150520 04/18/06 07:02 AM
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Unless of course the context is a limerick and she needs a rhyme for "duck" Then she might be stuck.
lol, Pam!

It's a very short scene, though, and it wouldn't be nearly as funny - it depends on the word.

But generally I agree with you about finding other words to get across an idea or mood or whatever.

c.

#150521 04/18/06 07:31 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
he reason for that, Sue, is that the board filters can't tell context. There's a list of words that are filtered out, no matter what the context is. And, if I remember correctly, the filter can't be turned off for one section of the board. It's either on or off.
That's right, Karen. No one went in and edited your story, Sue - it's an automatic system, set to guard the pg forums against any taboo words being posted. As Karen says, the unfortunate downside is that you can't exempt the nfic folder from the system, so the same words get automatically **** there, too. Which has led to some creative attempts to get around it in the nfic folder from authors over the years. goofy

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#150522 04/18/06 08:14 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Oh I never thought someone was editing the story - I knew it was a filter. It just amuses me. I guess I'm sick like that. thumbsup

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Ides of Metropolis
#150523 04/18/06 09:02 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It's a very short scene, though, and it wouldn't be nearly as funny - it depends on the word.
Well, you know what they say -- one man's "funny" is another man's "offensive." So of course we try to tilt away from the offensive side. smile

You know, if your author really likes the scene as is, and doesn't want to change it, there's no rule stating she has to have it on these boards or on the archives, or to have it *only* at those places. She could put it up on Annesplace instead/as well, or publish it herself on another website. No matter how much we might wish to, the boards admin staff and the archive EIC do *not* rule the whole Internet goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#150524 04/18/06 09:52 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And don't forget that's the entire purpose of the nfic folder and the nfic archive at Annesplace. Your author gets the best of both worlds. A gfic version they can post here on the mbs and submit to the Fanfic Archive and an nfic version they can post to the nfic folder and Annesplace.

Never let it be said we don't cover all bases. laugh

a filter.
That's it! That's the word I've been searching for all day. Thanks, Sue. laugh

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#150525 04/19/06 02:52 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
lol

all this reminds me of recent controversy regarging advertisements by the Australian Tourism board enticing (or trying to entice) visitors from english speaking countries to visit..

In The last sentence in the add a blond in a bikini calls out
"where the Bloody hell are you"
Various countries decided this was too crass even for the 7-11 time slot, Canada edited out "bloody" and england edited out "hell" (or something of the sort)
The whole episode created huge controversy in Aus, nd it was hillarious to read all the editorials lambasting freedom of speech and dictatorial sensorship.
regarding whetherr or not you use a certain phrase/word in your written words all depends on what that phrase means in your culture
in Aus... Bloody= a general superlative such as damn or sugar or whatever... and in the US F### has taken on the same meaning...in Canada Bloody means litterally coverred in blood, which can be taken to the extent of menstral blood....

There was an incident at the Australian Embasy in Washington DC (during the Clinton Admin.) when the embasador held a large function in the form of the good old Aussie Barbie....(BBQ)....on the invite it was casually mentioned in the mannor of good will and friendship that the dignatories were to come in "shortsleeves, shorts and their thongs"... suprise suprise no-one turned up.... why may you ask

well the US thong is more akin to the G-String bikini.... whereas the aussie thong is what you would call a flip-flop (i dont kno sandle, Jesus' foot wear... you get the picture)

English is a wonderful language in that respect, increasingly maleable etc. It provides for many instances of intercultural confusion.... but what is more amusing is the adorable use of english coloquialisms adapted by those speaking E as a 2nd language... aka chinglish

but it is only in the active use of language that words take their meaning... so we must step back from heated arguments over who insulted who and remember
"the boy wrote on the fish lovingly, sitting next to the big, purple stiped, baby banana-tusked elephant, under the light of the dark green antelope, he then wished for a bugle with which he could tie up the fish and post it to his bedroom in order that he could watch the elephant bombard the book with mind-altering secnd helpings of penguin"
this sentence is grammatically correct in terms of verb and subject... but it only has a meaning if we asign meaning to the words.

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#150526 04/19/06 01:02 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Bloody= a general superlative such as damn or sugar or whatever... and in the US F### has taken on the same meaning
Wow, I didn't think the f-word was *that* common just yet. Maybe I just lead a sheltered life but it's the one word I won't say and I don't know many people who use it that casually.

I understand that "bloody" has different meaning depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on and I take care *not* to use it when I'm in the UK.

Not that knowing I was saying the wrong thing stopped me from asking for a napkin in a cafe in England. Oh the look on that guy's face! "Serviette, I meant serviette..." but the damage was done. <sigh> At least I managed to refrain from calling a bum bag a "fanny pack".

I love the semantics of language! In my next life I want to be a linguist.

Sue
(who still calls flip-flops "thongs" even though she knows everyone will think she's referring to underwear.)

Ides of Metropolis
#150527 04/19/06 01:46 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I understand that "bloody" has different meaning depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on and I take care *not* to use it when I'm in the UK.
Why do you say that? It's used all the time in the UK, as a pretty mild swear-word. No-one's offended by its use. smile But it will also be used for a blood-stained item. Everything's context! wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#150528 04/19/06 06:01 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Y'all, we shouldn't be too tough on any language where 'fat chance' and 'slim chance' mean essentially the same thing.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard