Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Since the Big Ceremony party is happening on Saturday (Sunday in some parts of the world) and that timezones are a big mess for any maths-challenged person (like me!), and that daylight savings are getting in the way since the whole world doesn't swap at the same time... here's some help for those who wish to attend (and I hope you're all gonna do your best to attend! The more the merrier!)

In New York, Washington, Boston, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City and all the cities set on North American Eastern Time, the ceremony will start on Saturday, April 1, 6 pm.

If you're in Rio de Janeiro or anywhere in Brazil, sit at your computer on Saturday at 8 pm.

Living in central US, central Canada or Mexico City? Be ready to throw confetti at 5 pm on Saturday.

If you're in the Rocky Mountains or hiking in the middle of the Grand Canyon, drop your walking shoes and sit in the shade of a giant spider to join the fun on Saturday at 4 pm.

Lazing about on a beach in Malibu? Shopping on Rodeo Drive? Upside down in one of the rides of Six Flags Magic Mountains or visiting Warner Bros Studios in LA? Get to a cyber cafe by 3 pm on Saturday.

Now let's hop over to the other side of the Atlantic. For us in Europe, the ceremony will start on the first hours of Sunday.

So if you're in London, Manchester, Birmingham, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Edinburgh or Lisbon, stay awake until 0:00 on Sunday.

Many lights will be on in Madrid, Paris, Rome, Venice, Amsterdam, Berlin, Bonn, Budapest, Bratislava, Belgrade, Ljubljana, Prague, Sarajevo, Warsaw, or Zagreb, as we'll all be up at 1 am on Sunday very, very early morning.

If you're sitting on top of the Acropolis in Athens or if you're in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Cairo, Helsinki or Amman, then you really have to stock up on coffee, for the ceremony will start on Sunday morning at 2 am for you.

I know we have some FoLCs from Singapore. They'll have an early start, as the ceremony will begin at 7:00 am on Sunday. The same goes for Aussie FoLCs from Perth.

FoLCs from Adelaide and Darwin will join us at 8:30 am on Sunday, just because they wanted to make this coordinator do even more maths. wink

Timezones are sparing our Eastern Aussie FoLCs more, as they'll enjoy a late breakfast with us on Sunday at 9 am if they live in Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne or Sydney.

And if you're a Martian... well, find your own timezone! wink

Kaethel smile
Kerth Coordinator

(I just made a couple of tiny spelling corrections - Y. smile )

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Columnist
Columnist
I would love to make it, but I don't know anything about IRC. I tried going to the Kerth FAQ page, and the IRC page, but it just confused the heck outta me. I feel kinda stupid admitting that, but I figure if someone can help me, this is the place to ask.

Do I need to buy any software? Is it a free download? So very confused...

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh, I really want to attend this...but I a.m. is a bit too early for me...

I want to attend...

Can't attend...

I want to attend...

Mom and dad would kill me...

I still want to attend...

...Meh, we'll see. wink

"How many times must I tell you? Queens consume nectars and ambrosia, not hot dogs."
P
Columnist
Columnist
P
I don't know how can we atted the cermony. What do we have to do? How does it work?

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
IRC is free. Download it at www.mirc.com and click on Download mirc on the left.

Thanks for all your hard work Kaethel. So the ceremony is at 5pm here. Hmmm, a little early for me as hubby is not yet home to watch the baby (yes, he works weekends frown ) I'll do my best to attend.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
tvnerdgirl: IRC is a lot easier than it sounds, believe me. Download it as Jackie says, and then start to install it.

Here are a couple of images Elena made which might help.

[Linked Image]

Look at the box the arrow is pointing to. On your copy, make sure that you've picked an UNDERNET server. In the box above it - which says ALL in this image - you can actually set it to give you only undernet servers.

You do not have to put in your real name or email address - see what Elena did. You do need to choose a nick and an alternative nick. Once you've done that, click on the CONNECT TO IRC button.

You will then get a black window as IRC tries to connect you. Be warned: sometimes it may take a couple of tries, if IRC is busy or some servers are down. Don't worry about that or think you're doing something wrong - just be patient. smile Course, you may be lucky and get in first time. And then you will have this screen:

[Linked Image]

At this point, you're connected and you just need to join a channel. So in the box at the bottom you'll type the name of the channel you want to join. Elena is getting ready to join #loisclark. For the Kerths, you will type:

/join #kerthawards

You will also want to join the chat channel, so once you're in #kerthawards toggle back to your status screen (that's the screen you just typed in to join the awards channel) and type this:

/join #kerthchat

And that's all you need to do!

Now, if you want to practice IRC before the Kerths, you might like to come into #loisclark. There are generally people there in the afternoon and all evening US Eastern time - but if you want to be sure someone will be there, try making an arrangement with an IRCer via email.

#loisclark requires a password for entry. To get the password, go here , complete the form and send it, and a channel admin will send you the password. You use the password just as Elena does in the screencap above - /join #loisclark password - except you'll type the actual password there. wink

Hope to see you on IRC on the night or before!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And it's at 1 p.m. for anyone in Hawaii!
Sorry I can't make it this year. I'm in a hotel room on Kauai where it is raining cats and dogs and the internet connection is just too slow to do something in real time. You all have fun!
regards
Artemis
Update: I downloaded mIRC to this machine and got connected, but I think the delay is going to be huge. I pinged but got no response in a reasonable time. I'll try tonight. I may just lurk the awards.

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
And 5:00 p.m. for Honduras, right? As long as DST doesn't change back before the ceremony, that is the time for me.

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
Columnist
Columnist
Thanks for the IRC help! I'll definitely follow those instructions!

*getting very excited now about Kerth ceremony!*

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
My grandparents are visiting this weekend so I will unfortunately not be able to make it frown I just wanted to wish everyone luck smile

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
To any nominee who's not going to be able to make it... you have arranged for someone to accept for you if you should win, right? goofy

Wendy (who remembers Lynn and herself playing the roles of Designated Accepters 1 and 2 last year... wink )

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I didn't really pay much attention previously to Kaethel's first post in this one, but just did and clap

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
With the ceremony just a few hours away, I want to wish all the nominees plenty of luck for tonight. You guys all wrote fantastic stories last year, and I'm sure it was very hard to choose only one in each category for all the voters.

Good luck all, and please join us tonight at 6 pm EST for the ceremony. The more the merrier! party

Kaethel smile
Kerth Coordinator

- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
So, what time does people start entering the cha --errr, awards? Because, I really want to join, but I obviously can't be there through the whole evening... razz

"How many times must I tell you? Queens consume nectars and ambrosia, not hot dogs."
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
You can join right now, Cherry. Some of us are already there. smile

Kaethel smile

- Is that what we are?

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And it's at 1 p.m. for anyone in Hawaii!
Sorry I can't make it this year. I'm in a hotel room on Kauai where it is raining cats and dogs and the internet connection is just too slow to do something in real time. You all have fun!
regards
Artemis
Update: I downloaded mIRC to this machine and got connected, but I think the delay is going to be huge. I pinged but got no response in a reasonable time. I'll try tonight. I may just lurk the awards.

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Just in case anyone out there is using a Mac and doesn't know how to get onto IRC -- use Snak. www.snak.com.

"Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
--Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory", 1996
S
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
S
Sorry, I can't be there due to other commitments; but I wish everyone the best!

--Snave

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This is the first ceremony I've been around for, and that was fun. Thanks so much to the organizers, and congratulations to the deserving winners, as well as all the fabulous nominees. laugh

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard