Page 2 of 2 1 2
#150130 04/05/06 07:35 AM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
that's one terrific compliment

I hope so, it was my intention.

As for the sequel...still three-quarters written, still not going anywhere in the near future. Still the story from hell.
Is it now I’m supposed to break out all those cute smilies? smile1 hyper wildguy

Did it help? laugh

May I ask what the problem is? I would love to have a look at even the draft.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
#150131 04/05/06 08:32 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL! Don't know that it will do much good, Arawn, but thanks for the encouragement.

Well, mostly the problem is/was that the story didn't at all go in the direction I'd intended it to and turned out completely differently from what I originally wanted.

It's so different in tone from Burnout, that I'm sure that those who have since been clamouring for a sequel to that story will be highly disappointed if I ever posted it, because it won't be what they expect.

Plus...not sure I'm happy with it. I like bits of it. <g> Just not sure I like the whole thing.

But right now, none of that matters anyway, because the Muse went on vacation to somewhere north of Bolivia many months ago and I just don't currently have the inclination to write...well, anything.

Maybe one day, I'll wake up with the need to write again. Who knows?

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#150132 04/07/06 12:18 AM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
It's so different in tone from Burnout, that I'm sure that those who have since been clamouring for a sequel to that story will be highly disappointed if I ever posted it, because it won't be what they expect.
As long as it doesn’t go into alternative dimensions or sexchange, I doubt I wouldn’t like it, but of course if people appreciate it highly, I can understand you being concerned about expectations. But if an author is stuck why couldn’t some feedback help you get going again?

But right now, none of that matters anyway, because the Muse went on vacation to somewhere north of Bolivia many months ago and I just don't currently have the inclination to write...well, anything.
Ok, then I wont pester you. wink Now you know that you have another fan anyway.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
#150133 04/22/06 05:11 AM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Well a couple of other things.

1.There is a author named "the Gorn" at Annes place that writes some truly outstanding L&C. Do anyone know if she has written any regular fics?

2. Eventually I learned that Burnout was an nfic so it's lack of a Kerth flag stopped to amaze me.

Was Wendy's Second thoughts also an Nfic originally? Because I have a hard time understanding why she wasn't at least nominated with that one. (Incredible episode adaptation, an A-plot that made Luthor look like a true evil mastermind. Lois was actually allowed to make sense. I have a hard time choosing between this and Thompsons whammy "First comes marriage", but that one at least has the recognition it deserves.)

3. Then I would like to make a homage to Nicole Sullivan. I voted for her three times this year.

But I constantly lose her best story (IMHO) "The Way You Look Tonight" because I assume it must have a kerthflag.

..Do you know why? Of course you don't know why, you weren't in my head. Well here's the thing. Superman is a dream come true."

"I caught that part," Clark teased.

"You, Clark... you're the man who makes my dreams come true."
notworthy

Seriously, the voting committee must have lost the story or their brains most have been taken over by aliens or something...

#150134 04/22/06 05:19 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
1.There is a author named "the Gorn" at Annes place that writes some truly outstanding L&C. Do anyone know if she has written any regular fics?
The Gorn gave up the fandom and writing a long, long time ago. She had issues with the direction the show took in its latter seasons. A great loss to the fandom, I'll agree. She wrote some of my favourite ever nfic. All of the nfic she did write - including a half-written one that was never finished - are at Annesplace, far as I know.

2. Eventually I learned that Burnout was an nfic so it's lack of a Kerth flag stopped to amaze me.
LOL! Thanks. smile If I had a pound for every time someone said to me "I really wanted to nominate Burnout in the Kerths, but I couldn't work out a category that it fitted in" I'd....have £3,476.23 laugh

I don't know why it happened that way, but it just seemed to give people problems working it in. Over the years, I've found it kind of ironic, considering it's the story I get the most positive fdk for and the most pestering for a sequel. goofy

Seriously, the voting committee must have lost the story or their brains most have been taken over by aliens or something...
Generally speaking though, this is one of the curses of our fandom. We have so many high quality, Kerth-worthy stories posted each year that sheer pressure of numbers ensures that some excellent stories don't even make it to the nominations let alone win a Kerth. We suffer for our high standards, unfortunately, and dozens of stories slip through the net each year which would win Kerths in almost any other fandom which has less stories to choose from or fewer A-class stories.

That's why I don't think the Kerths - nominations or winners - lists are necessarily the best place to go for a starting point to the best fanfic in this fandom. It would be a good starting point in some other fandoms. But here, you'd miss out on a heck of a lot of wonderful stories if you took the Kerths as being the only measure of excellence. Seriously - we're just that good. laugh

Oh, and we don't have a voting committee. K-Comm tallies up the votes received, but stories are voted on by FoLCs.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#150135 04/22/06 05:28 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Was Wendy's Second thoughts also an Nfic originally? Because I have a hard time understanding why she wasn't at least nominated with that one. (Incredible episode adaptation, an A-plot that made Luthor look like a true evil mastermind. Lois was actually allowed to make sense.
Wow, thank you! But, honestly, it's all a question of what other stories are around in any given year, and it's also personal tastes, too. The Kerths aren't a matter of a committee somewhere deciding what's good enough to win. They're all decided by FoLCs: people like you and me. smile

FoLCs nominate stories they enjoyed in the categories you've seen. If your story gets enough nominations, it ends up on the shortlist. But there are only five or six nomination slots for any category, so if there are lots of excellent stories in any given year - as there usually are - a story you might have nominated because you thought it was good might not make it. Because it's all a matter of taste and personal preference - you might love a story and someone else may think it's just okay. And vice versa.

And then FoLCs vote on the nominated stories - and can you imagine choosing between some of them? Yet you have to - you can only vote for one story in each category. goofy

I'm really flattered that you liked Second Thoughts enough to think that it deserved a Kerth nomination. blush Thank you!

As for Burnout, it's exactly as LabRat said - there wasn't a category then that it'd have slotted neatly into. It's not really a drama. It's not a revelation story. It's not a tearjerker. And, at the time, there wasn't a Relationship category. My story Just Another Undercover Assignment sort of fell into the same category-gap - although there's a revelation at the very end, it's not a particularly memorable one. And, just like Rat with Burnout, I had people tell me they didn't know where to nominate it.

Glad you're enjoying making your way through the Archive - so many gems in there, right?

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#150136 04/22/06 08:46 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
If I had a pound for every time someone said . . .

I'd....have £3,476.23
So you've been investing this money?

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#150137 04/22/06 10:24 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sadly not. I blew it all on cheese and kibble. Oh and that shiny little wheel...

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#150138 04/22/06 10:49 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Then whence the 23 pence?

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#150139 04/23/06 03:15 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I blew it all
Um...that would tend to come into the all, really. laugh

Kibble's expensive these days.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#150140 04/23/06 06:12 AM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Labrat,
The Gorn gave up the fandom and writing a long, long time ago.
Well I thought so but I had to ask. She is incredible at creating pictures.

Clark surreptitiously scanned her pack with his X-ray vision and rolled his eyes as he readjusted his glasses. She must have been in a rare snit when she went home to collect her things. Nobody as smart as Lois was could have packed so stupidly otherwise. To supplement her chocolate, she had brought a Tupperware container full of what looked like potato salad, a jello cup and a bag of pretzels. The potato salad would be spoiled in a few more hours, the jello would melt and the pretzels wouldn't last the night. He hoped she liked fresh caught fish.

Jimmy had left ample room in his pack for his camera, a box of powerbars, a stack of CD's and the latest model Gameboy, which Perry promptly confiscated. Perry's gear was unremarkable except for his giant sized Elvis beach towel which Jimmy foolishly cracked would have almost covered the King at his last concert, thus earning the chief's blackest look.
Clark confessed to having with him a change of shirt and underwear, a book, a pocket knife, a brown bag with a grease spot on the bottom and a couple of cans of pork and beans. When Jimmy pointed out that he had forgotten to bring a can opener, Clark felt appropriately stupid.

Actually she is pretty incredible all around.

**Laugh your way out of this one Lois**, the tiny annoying voice in her head taunted. And then she felt a wave of anger, normal and reassuring. Her temper hadn't failed her yet. If nothing else, anger would carry her through, and she could feel herself growing very angry indeed. .... Besides, mere friendship would be a pale, unsatisfying thing in the face of love, hurt and ire.

LOL! Thanks.... I don't know why it happened that way, but it just seemed to give people problems working it in. Over the years, I've found it kind of ironic, considering it's the story I get the most positive fdk for and the most pestering for a sequel.
I wasn't really flattering you. (I thought I had already taken care of that laugh ).
The reason it stopped surprising me, was that I thought that since it was an Nfic (and an Nfic appropriately buried in awards) it wouldn't have been eligible for the Kerths as a rewrite.

That's why I don't think the Kerths - nominations or winners - lists are necessarily the best place to go for a starting point to the best fanfic in this fandom.
No it isn't, but the trouble is that they are just about the only tool there is that helps you navigate among the stories. The themes feature for example, only scratch the surface.
For me it's like "that story was on the same page as that author with the three kerthawards after each other).A kerth story you can always find again, but a unnominated gem will just dissappear in the archive which is really sad.

Wendy,

FoLCs nominate stories they enjoyed in the categories you've seen. If your story gets enough nominations, it ends up on the shortlist.
Well did know about the voting part, but I thought the K-com handled the nominations.

I'm really flattered that you liked Second Thoughts enough to think that it deserved a Kerth nomination.
Oh, I just thought it strange that it wasn't nominated. Award nominated stories have certain intangibles that are present in spades in Second Thoughts. If it was up to me it most likely would have won. sloppy . IMO you have won awards with less deserving pieces. But seriously saying that Wendy Richards write award calibre stories is about as controversial as saying that water is wet.

I especially like it that you so often have a new angle, it's not just about emotions and relationship. An A-plot isn't necessary, but makes L&C come a live and they don't appear so vacuum packaged. Second thoughts is such an intelligent story about Luthors campaign of cutting down Lois support network. Luthors growing bewilderment with his inability to make Clark Kent’s disappear and Lois frantic attempts to protect Clark. It’s like a classic romantic mix-up comedy, with the bombing of the planet as the last step. Many of these scenes would have been gold in the TV-series.

But on the subject on nonawarded stories, I loved the powershopping in a "Date by Arrangement"

-so many gems in there, right?
Yeah, but it’s kind of a problem. When you still can find jawdropping stories on the sixth or seventh sweep, the sifting process becomes so meticulous that it feels like a like it's time to get a life. spider

#150141 04/23/06 07:32 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The reason it stopped surprising me, was that I thought that since it was an Nfic (and an Nfic appropriately buried in awards) it wouldn't have been eligible for the Kerths as a rewrite.
It wasn't. It was the gfic version that was eligible for the Kerths. Any story in the fandom which has an nfic and a gfic version, and which fulfills the Kerth criteria of being posted within the eligibility period, is eligible for both the nKerths and Kerths.

but the trouble is that they are just about the only tool there is that helps you navigate among the stories.
There is the search data (which will eventually be come a searchable database). It's not the ideal, but it's a temporary solution and it will let you do a global search for various story criteria, such as all stories on the Archive set in S1 or all Tearjerker stories, etc. You'll find it here

The Themes section isn't really very helpful because it hasn't been added to in years. So it only covers a very small section of what's out there.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#150142 04/23/06 08:10 AM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
It wasn't. It was the gfic version that was eligible for the Kerths. Any story in the fandom which has an nfic and a gfic version, and which fulfills the Kerth criteria of being posted within the eligibility period, is eligible for both the nKerths and Kerths.
Uhh. that didn't compute. Of course only the gfic could be eligible for the kerths? And in your preface I got the impression that it was an nfic originally. But it did win numerous awards as an nfic so perhaps people thought unfair if it would sweep the gfic too, (Or I could have no idea what I’m talking about. dizzy )

There is the search data (which will eventually be come a searchable database). It's not the ideal, but it's a temporary solution and it will let you do a global search for various story criteria, such as all stories on the Archive set in S1 or all Tearjerker stories, etc.
Wow, cat wish I had known about this one a six months ago. Only to sort stories by size makes easier to find things by a magnitude of ten.

#150143 04/23/06 08:47 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And in your preface I got the impression that it was an nfic originally.
Yes, it would have been. All of my stories which have two versions would start off as nfic and then I'd convert it to a gfic version later.

I'd be surprised if winning nKerth awards would have counted against Burnout in the Kerths as having versions of the same story in both awards is pretty common in the fandom. So it wouldn't have stood out as anything unusual there.

Also, generally speaking the nKerths tend to happen after the Kerths, so the Kerths were probably first in line. Although whether that was the case that particular year or there was some reason the nKerths for Burnout came first, I have no memory of. Always possible, I guess. smile

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#150144 04/24/06 09:10 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by Arawn:
Then I would like to make a homage to Nicole Sullivan. I voted for her three times this year.

But I constantly lose her best story (IMHO) "The Way You Look Tonight" because I assume it must have a kerthflag.
blush blush blush blush Ohh!!! Thank you for such a wonderful compliment!!! Honestly - you had me at a loss for words when I read this and just *really* blushing, so... thank you again!! And I can't tell you what it means to me that you picked TWYLT out of the mix, as it was a story that I posted to the archive, as I didn't know about the boards yet (and I thank Pam Jernigan for fixing that and telling me about them <g>)... so this story got pretty much no FDK at all. I am thrilled you enjoyed it and thank you for the shout out sloppy

I'm glad you're having fun scouring the archive - there are so many amazing stories and talents there, which you've already learned <g>. smile

Oh! blush Thanks again!!

~Nicole laugh (whose week you've made!)

#150145 04/26/06 04:53 AM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
"I really wanted to nominate Burnout in the Kerths, but I couldn't work out a category that it fitted in"
If they ever read it, there most have been something seriously wrong with them. How about best overall story to begin with? Best comedy, best drama(seriously), best relationship? On my personal list I can see two or three stories ever written that could take Burnout in each category but none that is so strong overall. Sure it's about preferences too, but not by that much. goofy

Well I might be biased but I seriously doubt you will be disappointed if you read Nicole's "The Way You Look Tonight" It's a very elegant mainstream piece with an unique twist, packed with waff.

"Clark! How did you... you know, you're like a puppy! What, did you smell me coming?"
"No... but you do smell good. What are you wearing?"

Lois smiled, although Clark had a feeling it wasn't a genuine smile. "It's called 'Irritability'. It's rare and they don't sell it everywhere." With that, she stomped off in the direction of the coffee machine.
clap

#150146 04/26/06 05:40 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually, Arawn, the year Burnout was written there wasn't a Best Relationship category. It hadn't been 'invented' yet. And the assumption tended to be made that Best Drama was for stories with significant A-plots.

As for Sara's Made to be Broken, it picked up two Kerth nominations, the maximum any story can have apart from Best Overall. It's just that the Kerth flags for this year's awards haven't yet been added to the Archive.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#150147 04/29/06 07:10 PM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thank you Wendy. Then I understand it better. the year 2000 right? I'll have to admit it isn't easy to put it in there except the catch all category. Comedy? but while Burnout has some of the funniest parts I've read I can see why people don't want to label it comedy.

As for Sara's Made to be Broken, it picked up two Kerth nominations, the maximum any story can have apart from Best Overall.
Ouch dizzy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard