Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#147589 05/22/05 07:19 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
OK, most people probably have been here , but I hadn't seen it yet. I don't know any of the other fandoms, but the Lord of the Rings books have been my favorites for at least seven years now, since I discovered them. And the examples of truly awful LOTR fic are accompanied by the funniest reviews I've ever seen (even as they manage to be sarcastic and scathing).

The world of fan fiction is changed. I see it on the screen. I read it in the prose. I smell it in this reeking dungheap of badly spelled pseudo-Tolkienese the author sees fit to call poetry.
That reviewer continues on later with:

Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it. Like writing that makes sense. And spelling. And the rules of the English language. Or perhaps this poem was translated from the original Elvish by way of Babelfish?
And another review:

Unfortunately, the ignominious beginning is not as bad as it gets. You see, this is one of those horribly pointless songfics where the song lyrics are 90% of the story and the author has deigned to contribute a sentence or two between verses. I would spare you the lyrics and concentrate on the pearls of prose actually written by the author but even the song is not safe from her editorial comments.

Oh, you don't know that you're hurting me
Cuz it's not just a sexual thing Author Note:(don’t like that line)
Then why quote it? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
This last fic's review had me in stitches. I just HAD to share the hilarity. wink

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
#147590 05/23/05 06:56 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
LOL! No, I hadn't seen that site before, but how funny.

My favorite -- NOT -- when I read bad fic like this is when the author describes the clothing the characters are wearing in great detail (then adds a note in parenthesis as to what episode the character wore those clothes in.) <g>

Luckily we don't get this a lot in L&C fic, but I have seen it all too often in fic for other shows!

Kathy

#147591 05/23/05 07:18 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The worst example I've come across over the years was when, halfway through the story, the author put in a note to say that she had several scenes to go in here, but she couldn't be bothered to write them. So the reader should just imagine in their own heads that A, B and C had happened and then carry on with the rest of the written story.

I figured if the author couldn't be bothered to write the middle of the story, I couldn't be bothered reading it. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard