Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It's complicated, Vicki. <G> But, short summary version - originally, lawyers in the UK were separated into two distinct professions - barristers and solicitors. This was the result of an agreement made centuries back, which divided the work either was entitled to do. Solicitors, for example, did most of the paperwork, allowing barristers to concentrate more on court work.

These days, lawyer is less likely to be used. Most legal firms call themselves solicitors, and there's been a raft of legislation, proposals, accomodations over the centuries aimed at merging the two branches into one. It hasn't quite happened yet, but lawyer as a term is becoming more and more colloquial as time passes. Most members of the general public will talk about "Seeing my lawyer" or "Getting a lawyer". But they mean solicitor and the professionals generally don't call themselves lawyers at all for day to day purposes, although they won't insist no one else does and there are still the odd formal and professional occasions where the term is appropriate. <g>

Edit - after a quick search of the net, I came up with this . It's a bit longwinded, but if you're looking for more detail, you can't fault it for containing that. <G>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Vicki, the rule for a/an, in UK as in US English, is pronunciation. If you say "you-neekly", then it's preceded by "a"; if anyone says "oo-neekly" then they should use "an".

By the same token, only people who say "'istorical" (and some educated speakers do) ought to talk about "an historical fact". smile

Going back to prepositions at the ends of sentences - that's one of those "rules" that was made up by the crazy Latin-loving Victorians with nothing better to do. laugh People have always, before and since, separated prepositions from their objects. But, as a rule of thumb, either say "by whom" or "who... by" - using the formal "whom" with the less formal trailing preposition will get you funny looks anywhere in the English-speaking world. goofy

The idea of a solicitor coming to the door (to force you to write your will, or what?) still tickles me pink. laugh

Mere

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
I could say a lot here since one part of a lecture that I gave to my students was about regional differences in language and how they come about (pronounced a-boot) here in Canada laugh but I'd like to spend my time addressing the "lawyer" issue.

My husband was called to the bar many, many years ago and he had to say two oaths--one as a barrister and the other as a solicitor. Yet, when asked what he does for a living, he says that he's a lawyer. My cousin in New York,on the other hand, when asked, says he's an attorney.

My husband's letter head identifies him as a Barrister and Solicitor. My cousin's identifies him as an Attorney-at-law.

As far as the "who/whom" issue is concerned, I'd like to say that what has happened is that the grammatically correct has been overshadowed by what sounds better. This isn't regional. I think it has more to do with the difference between writing and speaking, and in writing the purpose of the particular piece.

And when I go to the theatre, I favour good behaviour from the audience members. :rolleyes:

gerry (who's going back to lurking)

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I just found a good one - it surprised me, actually. smile US English "4 feet x 8 feet" versus UK English "4 foot x 8 foot".

Mere

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
Merriwether
Merriwether
I am not religious, but I found this:

All of this ridiculousness got me to thinking about the difference between a present and a gift. This is what I’m thinking—when we give someone something for their birthday or for Christmas it is a present. We often call them gifts but it is really a present. Don’t get me wrong. Presents are good but they don’t usually fulfill the criteria as a gift (Although sometimes they can). A gift, especially as Paul uses the term, implies a special favor by God, another person, or nature. An example would be the gift of compassion, singing beautifully. A gift can also be something voluntarily transferred by one person to another without compensation. In this sense I guess a present is sometimes a gift but I’m really thinking that most of the time it is not. Again, I want to say that a present is a wonderful way of saying, “I love or appreciate you.” But I don’t think that most presents would qualify as a gift.
It was from someone's sermon. Like you said below so I won't go into that difference any more.
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was taught that they mean different things, but I find I used them interchangeably.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, SuperRoo, you've piqued my interest. How does 'gift' differ from 'present' (excluding the use of 'gift' in the sense that someone has a talent)?
Gift is from middle English, from Old Norse. Related to ghabh from Indo-European Roots. Ghabh means to give or to recieve. Yet another text reference is to grab or to take! Also, suffixed form ghebh ti means something given or received. Gift, from Old Norse gipt, gift, a gift, from Germanic giftiz. Cool.

Present is from middle English presenten and from Old French presenter and from Latin presentre, to show, from praesns, praesent- present participle of praeesse, to be in front of. Now that's a mouth full.

Gift
From the Old English "asgift," meaning, "payment for a wife" in the singular and meaning "wedding" in the plural. The Middle Dutch "gift," now written as "gif," meant the same, but today means "poison." The Old High German "gift" also became "poison." From the root "geb-", from which in English we get "give." There is another German word, however, which incorporates the word "gift", but which retains the older meaning of "payment for a wife". The word is "Mitgift", which is the modern German word for "dowry".
From - http://westegg.com/etymology/

I just thought that was neat.

Gift [...] a general English term for a present or thing bestowed [...]
Present Also another substantive meaning a gift, and a verb meaning to bring into the presence of, to offer, to deliver. [...] The sense of gift is due to the 0. Fr. phrase mettre en present a quelquun, to bring something into the presence of a person, to offer, give.

With that said, I honestly don't know what that teacher meant, use gift for this and present for that. I wish I could remember. I looked it up in some texts and on-line, but alas I have come up empty handed!

Though gift, of couse, sounds better in some circumstances and present for others. A gift, to me, sounds more formal and present more cutsie.

I guess you go with your preference! Man, now I babbeled and have a headache. Where's my Tim Horton's ice cap (I just learned to like 'em yesterday.)

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Whilst - My family used it and my Mum did use it in her essays while attending the same university as me at the same time. Yet, I had marks taken off for using it and she did not!

The phrase 'compare and contrast'. I find people use that here. To me from my UK orgins find that redundant!!! You only need the word compare. Comparing two things is to note their similarities and their differences - is it not? I get blank stares when I bring that up. Please tell me if I am wrong!

Also, another thing that always gets to me. I looked it up so I don't have to get a headache.

“Altogether” is an adverb meaning “completely,” “entirely.” For example: “When he first saw the examination questions, he was altogether baffled.” “All together,” in contrast, is a phrase meaning “in a group.” For example: “The wedding guests were gathered all together in the garden.” Undressed people are said in informal speech to be “in the altogether” (perhaps a shortening of the phrase “altogether naked” ).
I find here they use it interchangeably. But over yonder they don't. Unless the group, where I have used that word is razz .

I found this for the whole got/gotten discussion:
In England, the old word “gotten” dropped out of use except in such stock phrases as “ill-gotten” and “gotten up,” but in the U.S. it is frequently used as the past participle of “get.” Sometimes the two are interchangeable, However, “got” implies current possession, as in “I’ve got just five dollars to buy my dinner with.” “Gotten,” in contrast, often implies the process of getting hold of something: “I’ve gotten five dollars for cleaning out Mrs. Quimby’s shed” emphasizing the earning of the money rather than its possession. Phrases that involve some sort of process usually involve “gotten”: “My grades have gotten better since I moved out of the fraternity.” When you have to leave, you’ve got to go. If you say you’ve “gotten to go” you’re implying someone gave you permission to go.
This may not be entirly related, but it does come up in my mind when we are taking about words usage differences.
Many Canadians and Latin Americans are understandably irritated when U.S. citizens refer to themselves simply as “Americans.” Canadians (and only Canadians) use the term “North American” to include themselves in a two-member group with their neighbor to the south, though geographers usually include Mexico in North America. When addressing an international audience composed largely of people from the Americas, it is wise to consider their sensitivities.

However, it is pointless to try to ban this usage in all contexts. Outside of the Americas, “American” is universally understood to refer to things relating to the U.S. There is no good substitute. Brazilians, Argentineans, and Canadians all have unique terms to refer to themselves. None of them refer routinely to themselves as “Americans” outside of contexts like the “Organization of American States.” Frank Lloyd Wright promoted “Usonian,” but it never caught on. For better or worse, “American” is standard English for “citizen or resident of the United States of America.”
That has always poked at my brain. I am an American, if you go with North American. But I cringe b/c I know that means, for many, that you are from the US. And I am not, I am Canadian and North American. No offence, but up here we try really hard to seperate ourselves from the 'Americans' below us.

Oh my goodness. I am doing it again. Babbeling and of course devieating into antoher tangent!!!! I am so posting this and running away, errors and all. I am just talking too much.

lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
This whole lawyer/solicitor thing is interesting.

First, I'm LOL over Mere's comment:
The idea of a solicitor coming to the door (to force you to write your will, or what?) still tickles me pink.
That is a very funny visual. Here, the word solicitor firmly calls to mind for me an unwanted sales person. So often stores and homes will put stickers on their doors stating "No soliciters allowed."

As for lawyer versus attorney, this might just be me, but for some reason lawyer sounds...smarmier than attorney. My brother is an attorney, and I usually state it that way - My brother is an attorney - because to say that he's a lawyer always invites images of ambulance-chasing sleaze bags. For some completely illogical and inexplicable reason, IMO attorney sounds less so. I know, silly.

I do like the word "barrister" but because it is so close to the word "bannister" I always do a double take when I see it. Your brother is a bannister? Ohhh...a barrister! LOL!

This is a wonderful conversation. Thanks to all of you for picking it up and running with it...

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Top Banana
Top Banana
For better or worse, “American” is standard English for “citizen or resident of the United States of America.”
That is true. There really is no other word. North American does not refer specifically to a citizen of the United States of America, but rather a resident of the continent of North America (thus, including Canadians and Mexicans).

Here in Puerto Rico, people call Americans "estadounidenses", the closest thing in English being "United Staters". I don't know why, but I hate being called that. I always tell people that they might as well call the citizens of the United States of Mexico "United Staters", too. Or citizens of the Republic of Haiti "Republicans"! But, realistically, I guess I can understand the use of the term, given we often abreviate our country's name from The United States of America to simply The United States.

Anyway, the name for our country (and its citizens) was decided upon back when the United States of America was the *only* country in the Americas, so, in a way, it is a totally reasonable name. I guess when our forefathers decided on the name they weren't anticipating all the future countries to be formed on the American continents.

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey, maybe you and we should rename our countries to something less generic. <g> I mean, the United Kingdom is just about as meaningless these days as the United States of America - more meaningless, in fact, because we don't even have a country name anywhere in there. Yes, we're also Britain, which is better, but someone will shortly tell me why the UK and Britain aren't actually the same thing wink .

Any suggestions for new country names? The Islands To The Left Of Continental Europe? ('Tittloce' for short - pronounced tit-lo-chay, of course <g>)

Yvonne

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Any suggestions for new country names?
Oh, I dunno. Kind of happy with Scotland. laugh That's an idea. Why don't we just name the whole island, Scotland. <g> Oh, and that bit off the coast, too.

LabRat [Linked Image]

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
ROFL, Rat! goofy

Wendy wink

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Just de-lurking (new job, fun but no free time, sorry frown ) to stick my oars in...

First, quaint. I grew up in Stratford-upon-Avon. Yes, that's right, half-timbered houses, roses round the door, cream teas and china cups. I don't like quaint. Particularly first thing on a Monday morning, when I'm in my school uniform. It's not quaint, it's cold, made of very nasty man-made fibres, which generate more static electricity than a small nuclear plant, and my skirt rides up as I walk. Yes, ok, the town looks lovely, it's old, and it has a fantastic theatre. But you try pushing past the hordes (none of whom are talking with local accents) to catch your bus, knowing that 'I was almost assulted by a French school teacher who thought I was one of her pupils trying to escape a head count' is not a valid excuse for being late... It's not quaint.

Sorry, I regressed a little there.

Second, public vs private schools... the difference over here is, I think, that originally way back when education wasn't compulsary, public schools where ones that anyone could go to (although you might have to pay) and private ones were restricted entry. Something like that anyway. State schools are our equivalent of US public schools.

Third, if I understand it right, you are saying that when a US film sticks in a British character and they say 'quite good' to praise something, that's taken to mean that they really liked it? From my perspective, the joke was that we Brits are uptight and never really truely express our emotions and the best praise we can give to something is 'quite good' meaning ok. Wow, amazing how your perspective can shift.

Fourth, I've just edited this post because Wendy explained it a lot clearer and shorter than I did! But just to add a little fact for today, they only came up with the name Britain for the island after unification with Scotland. Up until then no one had needed to call it anything.

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Merriwether
Merriwether
You guys are loads of fun!

Roo From The Great White North. That's enuf for me.

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Personally, I have a hard time getting used to saying "Great Britain" or "United Kingdom". Over here, we simply use "Anglia" (=England) in our everyday conversations. The other names are for more formal use.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Merriwether
Merriwether
UK version: Lex was pissed off when he saw Lois and Clark kissing.

US version: Lex was pissed when he saw Lois and Clark kissing.

(and by the way, to us UK people, 'pissed' actually means drunk )
Yvonne

Used to be sterotypically CDN - Ginned up instead of pissed. It is more of a Prairie thing.

CDN - go on a holiday AMR - go on a vacation.
hydro - electricity
hoser - idiot
grad - prom
Molson muscle - beer belly
runners - tennis shoes/sneakers
write an exam - take an exam

Top Banana
Top Banana
Question: In the U.K. does 'quite' always mean only a little bit, or only when you use it in the phrase 'quite good'? For example, I read a fanfic awhile ago where Clark told Lois she was 'quite safe'. I understood that to mean 'very safe' or 'completely safe', but that was before I read all this about 'quite good' meaning only so-so. So, did Clark mean Lois was 'relatively safe' or what?

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Top Banana
Top Banana
Over here, we simply use "Anglia" (=England) in our everyday conversations
Argh!!! There is England, there is Scotland, there is Northern Ireland, and there is Wales. England is neither Britain nor the UK. It is England, plain and simple.

Sorry, Anna! Your statement was like a red rag to a bull and I'm sure I just over-reacted terribly, but it's a sensitive issue with those of us who aren't English. smile

Yvonne smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, wow! You go to sleep for the day, wake up, and find a whole extra page to the thread! Impressive.

Anyway, I don't have much to add this time, but I wanted to address Labby's post at the top of this thread.

I'm sorry I didn't express myself more clearly, Lab. It's a case of poor word choice on my part, I guess. What I meant by "unresolved" is that I'm still not entirely certain that it's a US/UK difference. So, I was asking here what people thought of them.

As you say, the meanings are clear in context. I didn't mean to imply that they needed changing. I copied them here because they were recent examples with context of (aparantly) UK phrases that seemed odd to my US reader's eyes.

Sorry for the confusion and the poor phrasing.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No problem, Paul! No, I didn't think you were implying they needed changing - was just saying I didn't think they did. <g>

And certainly no need to apologise. smile I see what you mean now by unresolved. I'm not sure the first one 'nature's spectaculars' is so much a UK/US difference as a US/LabRat difference. goofy It was just the way it came out on the page at the time. It's not a phrase that I've particularly heard being banded around or that even I use. Nature's splendors, maybe? That might be more commonly UK.

The second one might be more Scottish or Glaswegian phrasing than UK per se. It is a common way to phrase it, but I can only speak for my own neck of the woods. Whether it's phrased that way in England or Wales, or parts of either and not in others...is anyone's guess really.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Vicki said
PS - As long as I'm here, can anyone explain what a solicitor is? Is it just another word for lawyer, or is there a difference between the two?
And Mere said
The idea of a solicitor coming to the door (to force you to write your will, or what?) still tickles me pink.
I know it's already been explained, but I wanted to add that I'm pretty sure that solicitor has rarely ever been used in the US to denote a lawyer/attorney. Over here, it pretty much means "unwanted salesman." wink And Lynn said that people put signs up that say "no solicitors"-- that's also true of businesses and the entrances to subdivisions. Nobody wants someone going door to door "soliciting" business.

(... Now that I think about it, based on Lynn's description of "lawyer", I guess they chase ambulances to solicit business.) wink I, too, have always thought that "attorney" sounds better. About the only place I ever see the word "barrister" outside of the UK is when we refer to "barrister bookcases"-- which, of course, are those glass-fronted bookcases attorneys use!

Here's one that's totally incorrect, but pretty common over here-- adults and children use it--
Instead of "another whole" something or other, lots of people split the word "another" and say "a whole nother" which always cracks me up. I bet that's not said in the UK?

And you guys have been saying that you might "go round to" someone's house, or that there are roses "round the door"-- we'd say "around the door" and "go around to" (althought that latter isn't used much here, I think). I hear "go round" more as a description of another "round" of whatever-- a fight, another try at something: lets have another "go round".

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard