Next Thread
Print Thread
#145172 09/29/04 01:58 AM
N
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
N
Hello FOLCs. It's been awhile for me, but I'm always here lurking.

I had stopped writing for a long time--sort of post 9/11 blocked--and then I even stopped BRing (sorry writers). But I took a lovely fiction writing course this summer at Hofstra University and did many writing exercises from this wonderful book called "What If? Exercises for Fiction Writers" . Anne Bernays and Pam Painter authored...and it's just oodles of exercises for character studies, environment studies and what not to help the writer flesh out the world.

It really works too. When I finish some exercises, my keystrokes flow much more freely. So I wanted to pass it on. Since it's fairly large, I recommend getting it www.half.com.

Sherry
(Far be it from me to waste a de-lurking opportunity---been loving the fic from Yvonne, Meredith, LabRat, SQD, Tank, Wendy, MDL etc....been making me smile...well, the last section of LabRat's story--the part about Lex--made me grimace.... But that was intentional yes? Enough dashes and ellipses.)

Oh, and Pam....this is a nag! wink

Visit www.marykay.com/sfmurphy for wonderful cosmetic products and an opportunity to enrich the lives of women.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
well, the last section of LabRat's story--the part about Lex--made me grimace.... But that was intentional yes? Enough dashes and ellipses.)
ROTFL, Sherry. And...yes. Entirely. smile1

LabRat [Linked Image]

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thank you, Sherry! And great to see you here again - we've missed you. smile If you get time to delurk some more, it'll be great to have you around.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for the mention, Sherry! blush And it's good to see you around again - I hope you'll stay. smile

Mere

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
N
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
N
I'm gonna try. Life is going my way these days and I'd like to participate in the things out of which I get the most enjoyment. And the products of your (collective) amazing imaginations make me very happy indeed.

Sherry

Visit www.marykay.com/sfmurphy for wonderful cosmetic products and an opportunity to enrich the lives of women.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Pam....this is a nag!
lol, Sherry! Good to see you getting back into FOLCdom smile I'm kind of spinning my wheels, writing-wise, but those exercises sound interesting, so maybe that could help kick-start me.

Hope you stick around! smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey, Sherry! Good to have you back again. smile

I'd read your link, except I'm scared I'll discover all the things I'm doing wrong! I'm more comfortable observing authors whom I admire and learning that way. smile

Yvonne

N
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
N
LOL Yvonne. There is no wrong...unless you clean your face with alcohol on a paper towel. wink Mary Kay doesn't bite...it's one of my freelance activities that gives me joy and income...and I get to buy wholesale what I use oodles of for friends, family, and as holiday thanks for all the "gatekeepers" whose paths I cross at work.

My feeling is that since we're all living forever, we might as well look good for as long as possible. smile

For the record, I freelance in software sales and advertising sales and I don't miss being in the city at all. I have a life now and I'm loving it. I'm no longer on the road and away from my wonderful family...when my 10 year old neice asked me to come over and help her write a speech to run for student council, I was able to drop everything and go over. I'm all smiles.

Sorry to have veered OT. Wonderful to be here.

Sherry

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard