Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143554 03/13/04 07:48 AM
BevBB Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I have a list of 22 quotes from the series that I plan to use in a fan fiction (yeah, that one dizzy ) that show how L&C's relationship changes over the course of the series, but I could possibly use more. At the very least, I'm pretty sure I haven't found all that might apply. So, I'm hoping this gang can help me double-check to see what I'm missing without me having to rewatch the entire series just to find each one. Not that that would be a problem but it would save a lot of writing time if I knew where to look first. wink

Quotes that would be appropriate for this fall into in three distinct categories:

1) Lois or Clark specifically talking about or describing the other to whomever. In her case, it doesn't matter whether she's talking about Clark or Superman pre-revelation or just "him" once she knows. Primarily what I'm looking for is how they perceive each other at that moment or how that perception may have changed.

2) Lois or Clark (or even Superman) talking about their relationship. Again, this can either be their perceptions of what their relationship is currently or how it's changed since they met.

3) Other people talking about any of the above, i.e. Lois, Clark, Superman and/or their relationship(s). I don't intend to use many of these, but there are a couple of places where an "outside" observation may be more on the mark than one of their own.

So, any suggestions? Please make sure you at least indicate the episode and if possible the scene so I can get the exact wording down later.

Also, and this just occurred to me, has anyone already compiled a list of this nature? I know about Zoomway's episode guide/compendium and got some of the ones I have from it but those tend to be the "best" quotes from an episode. Best quotes are not necessarily ones about them or their relationship so I'm hoping there may be even more that I haven't found yet. To tell the honest truth, I would love to have a quote from each episode but I suspect some episodes may not have one. Others may have two or more, though, so it could even out in the end.

And before anyone asks, I would post those I have already but since I’ll be collecting the ones suggested here into my list anyway, I'll be happy to post them all as a summary later if anyone is interested in seeing the full list in episode order.

Or I could just finish the story instead . . . laugh

BevBB :-)
"B. B. Medos"
#143555 03/13/04 08:18 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
In "Whine Whine Whine," after Alise lies on the witness stand, Lois tells her that she shouldn't have done that. Then Elise says that Lois is lucky if she has found the perfect man, and Lois cuts her off and tells her that he's less than perfect, but he wants her happiness more than his own.

That sort of applies to tyour first reuest.

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#143556 03/13/04 08:47 AM
BevBB Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
In "Whine Whine Whine," after Alise lies on the witness stand, Lois tells her that she shouldn't have done that. Then Elise says that Lois is lucky if she has found the perfect man, and Lois cuts her off and tells her that he's less than perfect, but he wants her happiness more than his own. That sort of applies to tyour first reuest.
Oh, yeah, that's a great one. Thanks.

"B. B. Medos"
#143557 03/13/04 12:26 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The one that springs to my mind is from Home is Where the Hurt Is, where Lois says Superman is a sentimental softie, or something like that. They're in the newsroom and it's early on in the ep; Clark's not looking sick yet.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#143558 03/13/04 12:34 PM
BevBB Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
The one that springs to my mind is from Home is Where the Hurt Is, where Lois says Superman is a sentimental softie, or something like that. They're in the newsroom and it's early on in the ep; Clark's not looking sick yet.
Hmmm, I don't remember this one at all, so I'll definitely have to rewatch this one. smile Thanks.

"B. B. Medos"
#143559 03/13/04 03:12 PM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
On the sentimental softy thing, I think it went something like this:

Lois, Clark and Perry are in the bullpen talking about Mindy Church.

Clark says: It's... possible she really is
desperate and alone.

Lois says: Boy, you guys are sentimental
softies.

Perry asks: Are you saying Superman is a sentimental softy?

Lois says (with a sly smile at Clark): He's worse than all of you.

Hope that helps.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
#143560 03/13/04 03:33 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I love the "There is you, there is me, there is no us" line (or somethint to that effect) when Perry first partnered them up. It's in such contrast to her "feeling" him wake up after her father "cures" him in "Home is Where the Hurt Is."

And then there's Perry's line about Clark walking on water for Lois, or he'd die trying.

Sorry I can't be more specific about episode titles. Maybe someone else can offer that info.

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
#143561 03/14/04 02:27 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Here are some I thought of:

In Contact, Clark talks first with his parents (on the phone) and then with Lois (in her p.j.'s - so cute) about his hesitations about them having a relationship, what with him being Superman and all.

I think this was in Vatman (?), Clark telling Lois that "You... Metropolis means more to Superman than you think."

In the episode where they auction Superman, Clark tells Lois maybe Superman is afraid to show his true feelings.

Lois talking to Perry after Clark is shot - the "I never told him" conversation.

Lois talking to Perry in the camping with Clark epsode (sorry, I'm really bad with episode names). She says Clark proposed, Perry asks if they shouldn't try dating first, she says, "the thing is, I love him."

Lois talking to her mother, who is lying in bed and Lois gives her aspirins, in the show about the father's robot girlfriend. I think I remember her talking a bit about her relationship with Clark. (?)

The Rival (?) - when Clark goes to Lois' apartment, and she talks about Linda stealing her boyfreind. Clark asks if she's afraid the same thing is happening again, and she says, "Don't flatter yourself."

Same episode - Clark saying their relationship is "undefined".

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#143562 03/14/04 03:01 AM
BevBB Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Ooo, lots of great suggestions. Let me catch up on getting them into the list and then I'll come back and comment. One thing I have noticed is that these do seem to be more about their relationship while the ones I already have seem to be more descriptions of each other. Which is good, because that's exactly what I needed. I'm so glad I ask for input on this. laugh

"B. B. Medos"
#143563 03/14/04 03:25 AM
BevBB Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Okay, I'm caught up getting them into the list and only have three that are questionable so far.

I think this was in Vatman (?), Clark telling Lois that "You... Metropolis means more to Superman than you think."
I already have this one but quoted Lois instead of Clark. For formatting reasons and clarity's sake, I'm trying to only quote one person each time, I'm not sure I can work his response in, but we'll see.

And then there's Perry's line about Clark walking on water for Lois, or he'd die trying.
I have seen this one quoted in sigs so many times I should know which episode it's in but I'm drawing a complete blank. Any ideas?

Lois talking to her mother, who is lying in bed and Lois gives her aspirins, in the show about the father's robot girlfriend. I think I remember her talking a bit about her relationship with Clark. (?)
Again, I can see this scene in my head and can almost name the episode but I think I’m confusing two episodes with each other. Was that robot in HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS or not? I know she was in a Christmas episode but I can't remember if HIWTHI was a Christmas one or not.

Now, while I'm thinking of it, would it help jog memories if I went ahead and posted the list plus what's been suggested so far?

"B. B. Medos"
#143564 03/14/04 03:39 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
There’s also the “you and I together are stronger than me alone” (not sure on the precise wording) from Ordinary People which also contrasts to the "There is you, there is me, there is no us" line that Marilyn pointed out.

Oh and I think that the “Walk on water” quote comes from Just Say Noah, Clark has a Superman emergency and Lois asks him to get her 'Choco-choco monster chip ice cream' as the cover story, as he leaves the office this is Perry’s observation to Lois about Clark’s “dedication” to her. laugh

Hope this helps and can’t wait for the finished fic… hyper

Sarah-Jayne smile

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve - Still Me
#143565 03/14/04 04:24 AM
BevBB Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I decided to go on and post the list to an unlinked page on my site so everyone could see it as I work on it. Here's the link:
L&C Relationship Quotes

There’s also the “you and I together are stronger than me alone” (not sure on the precise wording) from Ordinary People which also contrasts to the "There is you, there is me, there is no us" line that Marilyn pointed out.
Yes, that's a great one that's already on my original list, I believe. If you can't find it let me know, though, because I KNOW I've quoted it somewhere.

Oh and I think that the “Walk on water” quote comes from Just Say Noah, Clark has a Superman emergency and Lois asks him to get her 'Choco-choco monster chip ice cream' as the cover story, as he leaves the office this is Perry’s observation to Lois about Clark’s “dedication” to her. laugh
Thanks, Sarah. I'll make note of that and change that the next time I update the list.

Hope this helps and can’t wait for the finished fic… hyper
You and me both. laugh

"B. B. Medos"
#143566 03/14/04 04:33 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yep, the "walk on water" quote is from Just Say Noah.

You know, that boy'll walk on water for you. Or drown trying.
And from the copy of the Vatman script that I have:

Lois... you'd be surprised. You...
Metropolis has a stronger hold on Superman than you may think.
And from HIWTHI (I always think of Hiawatha when I see that wink ):

INT. LOIS' APARTMENT - BEDROOM AREA - NIGHT Ellen lies on the bed; Lois changes the cold compress overher eyes. Clark enters with paper bag.

CLARK
Lois, I put the word out to every snitch we know to see what's goin' on with crime in Metropolis
(pulls bottle from bag) And here's the aspirin you wanted.

ELLEN
I doubt a pill can relieve years of neglect and betrayal.

LOIS
Try two. Thanks, Clark.

He goes. Ellen sits up, nods in Clark's direction.

ELLEN
Tell me the truth, what do you know about him? Don't make the same mistake I did!

LOIS
Mother, don't do this. You're projecting your troubles with Daddy onto Clark and me. We're
_different_.

ELLEN
Sure. You think you know Clark. I thought I knew your father. He was a brilliant surgeon, I was his loyal nurse. We had it all, but
apparently it wasn't enough for Sam.

LOIS (gently)
I know. It was really a bad thing that happened. But at some point I had to decide whatever hell Daddy was going through was _his_, and not let it wreck the rest of my life. And... I think you should stop letting it wreck yours.

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
#143567 03/14/04 04:50 AM
BevBB Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for the exact quotes, Marilyn.

I think I'm caught up through her post and have uploaded the changes to the web page. I wasn't completely sure I even wanted more quotes when I asked about this but it's turning into a really interesting "picture" of their relationship to have more to chose from. Fascinating.

"B. B. Medos"

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard