Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143535 03/11/04 08:48 AM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I had an idea which I started on the nfic board but I’ll post it here too. I started it there in case someone was interested in writing above PG-13. However, there could certainly always be both a pg and a nfic version - or even just a pg version. So I’d like to see what people here think.

For those of you who don’t get over to the nfic boards, I’ll try to summarize the idea and responses to it so far. Anyway, I was thinking (always a dangerous idea for me). And I had an idea.

We have so many people on the boards who are from or have lived in so many places around the world. I was thinking that it might be fun to write a story where Clark decides to take Lois on a world tour. It’s their wedding anniversary so he decides to take her to some of his favorite places. People could then contribute, allowing us to get a glimpse of their hometowns or some of their favorite places through Lois and Clark’s eyes.

So far we’ve had some ideas on the nfic boards about it.

There was some discussion about people who don’t normally write who might like to contribute. Some of the ideas were that they could contribute a couple of lines for the story, such as having Lois and Clark fly over their region on their way somewhere else. For example: ‘As they flew over *******, Clark pointed to the ground below them. They saw the white waters of the falls cascade over the cliffs. The misty steam rose above the fast flowing waters. Clark dipped down, taking both of them through the mist as they continued towards their destination.’

Or Laura suggested that she might be willing to take a description from someone else and use it in the story. There might be others that would like to try that as well.

I was thinking that once people indicated that they would like to contribute and what they wanted to do, I’d sort of organize the story so that you’d hopefully get the time of day you are looking for and we could make some sort of sense of the travel schedule. Then I’d start with a section from northern Ontario and send it on to the next person on the list and so on.

Anyway, I’m not sure exactly how it would work or if we’ll have enough people to do it. So anyway... comments? Ideas? Criticisms?

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#143536 03/11/04 09:44 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
It sounds like a good idea, ML!

I say go for it. I may even help, if I find the time to.

See ya,
AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#143537 03/11/04 10:04 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, there already is a story taking place (well, half of it) in Israel. By you, as a matter of fact, ML. smile I don't think I ever told you how much I loved it and how much I felt "at home" when I was reading it. Thanks for that! mecry wink

Anyway, Eilat is not my hometown by far, so I could write it about my own. Then I could also bring them over to Toronto, maybe. It'd be great if it was actually written! I'll definitely be there to help!

I call Israel. laugh

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#143538 03/11/04 10:17 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
hmm. interesting idea. it does sound cool. not sure what i'd have to contribute, tho...

----

As they flew over exotic New Jersey, Clark pointed out the sights. "Over there is exit 13. It's known for the powerful smell of its refineries, which helps keep the state immigration rate down. That's a vital service, since it's already the most densely populated state in the country."

Lois nodded thoughtfully.

Clark turned south. "Down that way is East Brunswick. There isn't much to it, really. That there is the bowling alley, and that building is the other bowling alley. That one is called 'Midstate Bowl' because it's very close to the geographical center of the state. Oh, and that mess over there used to be the Dairy Queen, which was owned by the mayor of the town. He sold it to a bank earlier this year, though, so that's why you can only see a bunch of metal poles where the building used to be."

"Huh."

"Yep. Now, over there is one of the last surviving farms in the area..."

----

hey, don't get me wrong. it's a good place to live. one of the best public schools around, one of the top libraries in the country, nice suburban setting between two very different cities... there just isn't much to show tourists, especially from the air.

one other thing... your description reminded me of a fic i read for the archive keyword project. it's an old IRC round robin, called whole new world. it seems to be along the same lines. of course, a different angle, different writers, etc can make a similar idea turn into an entirely new and interesting fic. just thought i'd point it out. sorry, i'm half asleep now, so i'm not really coming up with coherent reasoning.

time to get going, i guess. hey, maybe i can come up with an exciting description of the swamplands south of here...

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#143539 03/11/04 10:28 AM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Paul, I actually loved that section on New Jersey. The only things you need to change is: 'Lois nodded thoughtfully' to 'Lois giggled and swatted his chest' and 'Huh' to something else.

I really laughed when I read it. I think it would be great to add something like that. The comic value is great.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
#143540 03/12/04 01:07 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
This is a very intriguing idea. smile1 but I fear my English isn’t good enough to actually write a part of it on my own. frown
I could send you descriptions of our region if you like; it might be interesting for Clark to show Lois the place where three countries in Europe meet: Germany, France and Switzerland. The river Rhine is a natural border between the three countries and the big city here is Basel.
Or he could make a stop in Freiburg, a cute University Town in the Black Forest, where I went to University. It has a center with old houses and streets, dating back to the 11 century, and a gothic cathedral in the middle of the market place.

Ines smile

"It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." (Albus Dumbledore, CoS)
#143541 03/12/04 05:45 PM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
There’s obviously some interest out there about writing this story. Since some of you have indicated an interest but haven’t said whether you’re wanting to contribute, I guess the best way to do this is to ask that anyone who is interested, send me an email saying where you are going to have Lois and Clark visit and what time of day you want. If we get enough people to make up a story, I’ll put together a rough time line and then start the story.

How does that sound? Any concerns or comments?

ML wave

#143542 03/12/04 06:43 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
The only comment I have about this is about the timeline. Why should this be crammed into one day? It'd be better if each region got roughly a day, so that Lois and Clark could visit tourist attractions, hang out for a bit, and not just fly over.

Also, if they just fly over each place and give a brief description and nothing else, our story will look like a world tour commercial for a travel company. :rolleyes:

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?

(The X-Files)
#143543 03/12/04 06:50 PM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Julie, I'm sorry if I gave the idea that this would take place all in one day and from the air. How long this trip would be would depend on how many people we have wanting to contribute and what they are wanting to contribute. If someone wants an entire day, that would be great. Or even longer. I'm just trying to figure out what people want to contribute so that we can figure out if there is enough for a story.

Does that clear things up?

ML wave

#143544 03/12/04 06:52 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
It'd be better if each region got roughly a day,
Well, I'm not sure, it will be possible / practical for all three - Lois, Clark and Superman to take such a long vacation for their anniversary. (Of course depends on how many tours / sights are compiled)

But maybe, they would be able to fit the romantic, adventurous world tour into a weekend. What do you say , ML? confused

If not, I think the ingenious creative authors on the LnC boards will be able to compose a variety of sights and sounds without making it look like an advertisement laugh

Besides, sightseeing tours are meant to be cramped... smile

Just my thoughts... blush

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#143545 03/12/04 08:09 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
That does clear things up.

I'll write Israel, and I could do Toronto too. Let me know if that's okay. I'd also like to have a day or so for each - it wouldn't be very realistic if they were in the same day, after all, they're not even in the same continent.

About taking a long break not being realistic - maybe it would be more realistic if it were their honeymoon rather than anniversary.

Julie smile1

(The X-Files)

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard