Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
OK, I admit it, I am doing some research on the Congo...since my sense of geography and knowledge of world politics leaves much to be desired.

Any details of Alt-Lois' trip to the Congo would be appreciated.

Does Lois speak French? Apparently it's the only language spoken over there, and translators are scarce....

I await your feedback...Thanks

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, Lois did talk in French to a chef in the season 4 episode, Ghosts, right?

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Top Banana
Top Banana
Since the altworld is much different than ours, altLois can always speak French even if Lois didn't. She didn't, by the way, speak French in Ghosts. She just added the expresion, "mon ami." Which means "My friend," even though I'm sure you all knew that. goofy

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yup, I checked back, You're right! :rolleyes:

Sorry for the misinformation frown , but as Julie pointed out, anything can happen in an alt-dimension

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think it's very likely that Lois might have studied French in high school -- she's about my age, and it was expected that kids would take French or Latin. And once she knew she'd be going to a French-speaking country, she might well have taken a refresher course while she was waiting for shots or her passport or something. That'd probably give her enough to get by on. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks for the input so far. It looks like the Congo is not a very friendly country to visit, from my research so far.

I want to write (as you probably figured out) another Alt-Clark searching for Alt-Lois in the Congo story, (trying desperately for something original) and want to have some realism in there. Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated!

Chris

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Just as a point of geography, there are actually two Congoes in Aftrica. There is the country called smply "Congo" in the same way Egypt is called Egypt. Its capital is Brazavlle, and the country is bi-sected by the equator. Its highlands are home to the great apes. South and stretching east along and below the Congo River lies The Democratic Republic of the Congo. Its capital is Kinshasa. In my fiction, I used the latter as "The Congo", because the river was important in the story, and also because I don't think you would refer to the home of the apes as "The Congo", but simply as "Congo". But that's my peference, and, as has been said, you can pretty much go your own way. It's your story and it is fiction.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard