Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: ChaaBreh Alt-Lois's trip to the Congo - 03/08/04 04:37 PM
OK, I admit it, I am doing some research on the Congo...since my sense of geography and knowledge of world politics leaves much to be desired.

Any details of Alt-Lois' trip to the Congo would be appreciated.

Does Lois speak French? Apparently it's the only language spoken over there, and translators are scarce....

I await your feedback...Thanks
Posted By: Ank. K. S. Re: Alt-Lois's trip to the Congo - 03/08/04 04:43 PM
Well, Lois did talk in French to a chef in the season 4 episode, Ghosts, right?
Posted By: Julie S Re: Alt-Lois's trip to the Congo - 03/08/04 05:04 PM
Since the altworld is much different than ours, altLois can always speak French even if Lois didn't. She didn't, by the way, speak French in Ghosts. She just added the expresion, "mon ami." Which means "My friend," even though I'm sure you all knew that. goofy

Julie
Posted By: Ank. K. S. Re: Alt-Lois's trip to the Congo - 03/08/04 07:04 PM
Yup, I checked back, You're right! :rolleyes:

Sorry for the misinformation frown , but as Julie pointed out, anything can happen in an alt-dimension
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: Alt-Lois's trip to the Congo - 03/09/04 06:14 AM
I think it's very likely that Lois might have studied French in high school -- she's about my age, and it was expected that kids would take French or Latin. And once she knew she'd be going to a French-speaking country, she might well have taken a refresher course while she was waiting for shots or her passport or something. That'd probably give her enough to get by on. smile

PJ
Posted By: ChaaBreh Re: Alt-Lois's trip to the Congo - 03/09/04 10:05 AM
Thanks for the input so far. It looks like the Congo is not a very friendly country to visit, from my research so far.

I want to write (as you probably figured out) another Alt-Clark searching for Alt-Lois in the Congo story, (trying desperately for something original) and want to have some realism in there. Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated!

Chris
Posted By: Jude Re: Alt-Lois's trip to the Congo - 03/09/04 12:18 PM
Just as a point of geography, there are actually two Congoes in Aftrica. There is the country called smply "Congo" in the same way Egypt is called Egypt. Its capital is Brazavlle, and the country is bi-sected by the equator. Its highlands are home to the great apes. South and stretching east along and below the Congo River lies The Democratic Republic of the Congo. Its capital is Kinshasa. In my fiction, I used the latter as "The Congo", because the river was important in the story, and also because I don't think you would refer to the home of the apes as "The Congo", but simply as "Congo". But that's my peference, and, as has been said, you can pretty much go your own way. It's your story and it is fiction.

smile Jude

dance
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards