Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143099 02/04/04 09:06 AM
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
This is just for about one line of a fic, but I'd like to get a decent analogy, if I possibly can.

So the question is this. Lex Luthor was, of course, a criminal who was also (apparently) an extremely respectable businessman, a pillar of the community, considered to be beyond reproach. There must have been other such respectable businessmen who ultimately turned out to have been criminals, but who seemed utterly law-abiding at the time. Can anyone suggest any?

Edit: I mean RL criminals - there wasn't anyone else we knew of in L&C at the time this story is set.

Thanks!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Bill Church leaps immediately to mind (both Sr. and Jr.)

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Sorry, ML - I meant a real businessman! goofy

Bill Church would actually work, except that the story in question is set in S1...

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, and there's Preston Carpenter from the Rival. He was the guy who owned a number of newspapers and then bought the Star and tried to put the Daily Planet out of business by arranging news stories to take place when his reporters were nearby. I think he would have qualified.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, you meant REAL businessmen laugh Sorry. I guess I have too much Lois and Clark on my mind.

ML wave

Merriwether
Merriwether
Bill Gates? *ducks and runs*

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I always think of Donald Trump in such circumstances. Although no idea if he's been found to be corrupt or just looks that way. goofy He does remind me of Lex though, every time I see him - whether the man deserves it or not.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Well, the IRC gang has come through again! thumbsup They suggested Barry Minkow of the ZZZZ Carpet Cleaning Company (great suggestion and perfect timeline, Roger!), and the former evangelist Jim Bakker. That should do nicely!

A very happy Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
There was the real life guy who the character Moriarty was based off of. Adam Worth or Wurth, I think his name was. If I remember correctly, his son ironically joined the Scotland Yard.

I know it's not the correct time period, but something along those lines might work for developing a character. smile

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do you mean criminal like in "serial killers" or like in "financial crimes", "White collar crimes" or "cybercriminality"?

'cause Nick Leeson's name, this english broker who brought down the Barings bank, immediatly popped in mind, closely followed by Lucy Edwards, Bank of New-York's former senior vice-president, who pled guilty to a variety of federal charges (money laundering and fraud included). For business men, think recent financial scandals like Enron, Worldcom... or VU.

For WCC, all the protagonists of pollution or firms that put citizen's lives at risk...one example would be the one described in the movie: Erin Brokovitch.

For cybercriminality (reduced to hacking, which is 45% of it), I instantly thought Kevin Mitnick. But Karen's proposition is appealing laugh .

Hope that helps a bit,

Carole smile1

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Conrad Black? or you could go back in US history to the time of the robber barons - e.g. John D. Rockefeller had a competitor's RR tracks blown up. or, much later, Joe Kennedy who made his loot in in the illegal booze business.

c.

S
Blogger
Blogger
S
How about Ken Lay of Enron?

Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks very much for all the suggestions, everyone! There are some great ones there. Some good ones, such as Ken Lay, are just a little too late, timewise - I should have specified that I'm talking about people who would already have been exposed by the time of early S1.

Anyway, I've certainly got plenty to be going on with, so thanks again. thumbsup

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard