Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Wendymr 'Respectable' criminals? - 02/04/04 01:06 PM
This is just for about one line of a fic, but I'd like to get a decent analogy, if I possibly can.

So the question is this. Lex Luthor was, of course, a criminal who was also (apparently) an extremely respectable businessman, a pillar of the community, considered to be beyond reproach. There must have been other such respectable businessmen who ultimately turned out to have been criminals, but who seemed utterly law-abiding at the time. Can anyone suggest any?

Edit: I mean RL criminals - there wasn't anyone else we knew of in L&C at the time this story is set.

Thanks!

Wendy smile
Posted By: MLT Re: 'Respectable' criminals? - 02/04/04 01:22 PM
Bill Church leaps immediately to mind (both Sr. and Jr.)

ML wave
Posted By: Wendymr Re: 'Respectable' criminals? - 02/04/04 01:28 PM
Sorry, ML - I meant a real businessman! goofy

Bill Church would actually work, except that the story in question is set in S1...

Wendy smile
Posted By: MLT Re: 'Respectable' criminals? - 02/04/04 01:31 PM
Oh, and there's Preston Carpenter from the Rival. He was the guy who owned a number of newspapers and then bought the Star and tried to put the Daily Planet out of business by arranging news stories to take place when his reporters were nearby. I think he would have qualified.

ML wave
Posted By: MLT Re: 'Respectable' criminals? - 02/04/04 01:33 PM
Oh, you meant REAL businessmen laugh Sorry. I guess I have too much Lois and Clark on my mind.

ML wave
Posted By: Karen Re: 'Respectable' criminals? - 02/04/04 02:03 PM
Bill Gates? *ducks and runs*
Posted By: LabRat Re: 'Respectable' criminals? - 02/04/04 02:07 PM
I always think of Donald Trump in such circumstances. Although no idea if he's been found to be corrupt or just looks that way. goofy He does remind me of Lex though, every time I see him - whether the man deserves it or not.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Wendymr Re: 'Respectable' criminals? - 02/04/04 02:26 PM
Well, the IRC gang has come through again! thumbsup They suggested Barry Minkow of the ZZZZ Carpet Cleaning Company (great suggestion and perfect timeline, Roger!), and the former evangelist Jim Bakker. That should do nicely!

A very happy Wendy smile
Posted By: EmilyH Re: 'Respectable' criminals? - 02/04/04 07:01 PM
There was the real life guy who the character Moriarty was based off of. Adam Worth or Wurth, I think his name was. If I remember correctly, his son ironically joined the Scotland Yard.

I know it's not the correct time period, but something along those lines might work for developing a character. smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 'Respectable' criminals? - 02/05/04 12:48 AM
Do you mean criminal like in "serial killers" or like in "financial crimes", "White collar crimes" or "cybercriminality"?

'cause Nick Leeson's name, this english broker who brought down the Barings bank, immediatly popped in mind, closely followed by Lucy Edwards, Bank of New-York's former senior vice-president, who pled guilty to a variety of federal charges (money laundering and fraud included). For business men, think recent financial scandals like Enron, Worldcom... or VU.

For WCC, all the protagonists of pollution or firms that put citizen's lives at risk...one example would be the one described in the movie: Erin Brokovitch.

For cybercriminality (reduced to hacking, which is 45% of it), I instantly thought Kevin Mitnick. But Karen's proposition is appealing laugh .

Hope that helps a bit,

Carole smile1
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 'Respectable' criminals? - 02/05/04 04:41 AM
Conrad Black? or you could go back in US history to the time of the robber barons - e.g. John D. Rockefeller had a competitor's RR tracks blown up. or, much later, Joe Kennedy who made his loot in in the illegal booze business.

c.
Posted By: Schoolmarm Re: 'Respectable' criminals? - 02/06/04 03:15 PM
How about Ken Lay of Enron?
Posted By: Wendymr Re: 'Respectable' criminals? - 02/07/04 05:49 AM
Thanks very much for all the suggestions, everyone! There are some great ones there. Some good ones, such as Ken Lay, are just a little too late, timewise - I should have specified that I'm talking about people who would already have been exposed by the time of early S1.

Anyway, I've certainly got plenty to be going on with, so thanks again. thumbsup

Wendy smile
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards