Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KathyB Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Merry Christmas, everyone! While I wait for my oldest to fall asleep so Santa can come wink I thought I'd take a few minutes to make this post. As I was looking through a preliminary list of 2004 Kerth eligible stories, I noticed that several stories that I enjoyed after reading them on the boards somehow never got posted to the Archive. (I know, I know ... I was shocked, too ... I'll wait while you pick your jaws up off the floor.) Now it's possible that some are in queue to be uploaded this coming weekend, but in case the authors just forgot to submit them, I thought a little nudge might be in order. wink

So what do you say, authors -- are you planning to make them eligible for the Kerths this year? Or (like Paul posted about "Chi, Beta" in another thread -- thanks Paul!) are you waiting for next year?

And if you just haven't thought about it until now (maybe mistakening believing that no one would care about a little challenge response, for example!), let me just remind you that all you need to do to make said stories eligible is write Erin (or any KCom member) and ask that your story be added to the list. (Though I certainly hope you'll send these to the Archive, too, now that I've pointed out your oversight. wink )

Oh, yes, and this may not be an exhaustive list ... the keepers of the directory may well have stories to add. These were just ones that I remembered and happened to notice. smile

Double Whammy by Jill

One Side of a Phone Call by Frank Ward

A Little Off the Top by Sarah Luddy

This Doesn\'t Look Like Kansas by Elisabeth

Not Your Average Joe by SamiK

Mixed Messages by Messenger

Mayson Says the Magic Word by CC Aiken

Ace is the Place by WandaD

Dating by Deception by Anna Belcher

Grown-up Christmas List by Jana

The Twelve Pains of Christmas by LauraU (Alicia)

Clark\'s Secret by LauraU (Alicia)

From Under the Blue by Marnie

So what say you, authors? smile

Kathy

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for this, Kathy. Despite saying I would regularly produce this kind of list, I just haven't had time lately.

And CC! How could you? laugh

Can't see many of these I recognise as being in the upload queue it has to be said - other than Alicia's Clark's Secret. (Well, it's not in the upload queue, it's pending finding a GE, but it's been submitted) And Ace Is The Place went off in today's upload for Sunday.

LabRat smile (who is just shocked and appalled that such a thing could happen... goofy )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Kathy,
"Ace is the Place!" has been GE'd and en route to the archive! (Also "Some Like it Hot," another of my challenge fics.) They should be there soon. They were a little delayed because of e-mail problems. But they'll be there soon!
Thanks for the nudge though... I'm flattered you liked AITP enough to mention it! blush laugh
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
-Wanda

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Thanks for reminding me of some of these stories, Kathy. I had forgotten about a few of these -- and they're great!

I was planning to let Clark's Secret and (two stories you didn't mention) Let It Snow and Medical Miracles II, and two stories that I have finished, but haven't posted wait until January to be uploaded just so there are stories to be uploaded in January smile . Oh, I completely forgot about my 12 pains of christmas story. I remember writing it durring the class I TA'd last semester when they were taking an exam, but I just flat out forgot about it blush . Thanks for the reminder -- it got me looking at the challenge section and seeing a story I absolutely forgot!

I might make 'Let it Snow' and its sequel eligible for the Kerths, but there are so many other wonderful holiday stories. I am not sure yet.

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Top Banana
Top Banana
I didn't forget, if that's what you're thinking!

But Mayson Says the Magic Word was just a toss-away. Meant for practice more than anything, since I'd never posted to the boards and wanted to see how that would be and if I might be interested in doing such a thing....And it worked, I'm still here.

We can definitely let it go- to live where the unarchived stories live...fic limbo, I guess.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
CC, as a newcomer to the Boards, you have to realize that for fic-hungry FoLCs, there is no such thing as a toss-away. Ask Wendy how we hounded her to submit "At Wit's End in the East End" sometime. She'd written it as a joke, but in the end, we had our way <g>.

Please submit "Mayson" post haste, before we have to subject you to the same treatment. laugh

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Merriwether
Merriwether
You heard the lady!

/me sharpens her axe and shears

wildguy wildguy wildguy

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, yes, Nan, I remember! goofy

Now, repeat after me, FoLCs: There is no such thing as a throwaway fic!!!

Wendy wildguy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
KathyB Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
But ... but ... it has the cosmic kitten ... and the unspooling ball of yarn ... you can't NOT archive it!!!

Geez, what is it with people these days that they think they can get away with not submitting their stories ... you should know by now that we will never let this go. grumble

I'm with everyone else, CC ... you better submit it ASAP or you will incur our wrath. wink

(And that goes for the rest of you authors listed above, too -- there is no such thing as a throw-away story! Especially not ones as good as the ones listed. smile )

Kathy

Features Writer
Features Writer
There is no such thing as a throwaway fic!!!

(just doing what Wendy told me to...but I happen to believe it too. Please submit, FoLCs smile )

Kathy wildguy wildguy wildguy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Columnist
Columnist
Eeep! No wrath, please, no wrath! I wasn't holding out! I promise!

I have every intention of submitting Dating by Deception, along with Alt-Clark: A Plot-Untwist, and Carol and I's Trouble in Paradise (which was written last... April? March? I don't even know sad ) Between school, the holidays, applying to law schools, and my new One Tree Hill obsession, I just haven't had the time. I'll email KComm so they'll be eligible, and I'll try to have them submitted soon.

Sorry for the delay!

~Anna (whose parents, btw, got her a trip to Disneyland for Christmas! I leave on New Year's Day! Yaaaay! Sorry, I'm just so excited that I had to mention it. laugh )

Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes. Exactly. What Anna said.

When I said "toss away" fic and "fic limbo" I may have left readers with the wrong impression.

In truth all I really meant was that I have been busy with school and the holidays and applying to law school, just like Anna. And so haven't given my dear story the attention it so deserves for the space cat alone.

I'm so glad I saw this so I could clear this up. Evidently some kind of crazy miscommunication!!

And I see that Nan tried to intervene for me early, so that little hatchet men wouldn't march around. But what I found really interesting was KathyM's 'please submit, FoLCs.' Because, you know, it reads two ways. Submit your fics. Or, you know, submit to our will or else.

Off to finish those applications-

CC wink

Seriously, you people want eveything on the archive? Isn't that a bit...well...extreme??

Oh crap!

~Tank
Merriwether
Merriwether
CC, yes. So? wink

Anna, if you're going to be down thisaway, I'd LOVE to get together! Is that doable? /me makes puppy-dog-eyes

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I beg to disagree. My latest posted story is a puff piece--a throwaway fic without a plot. It was just a little Christmassy nonsense. <shrug> I've written two or three little comedic vignettes that are the same way. (My FK beta reader has the last one in the Hunter trilogy, and they *are* little throwaways.)

Laura (who needs to go back and finish the next chapter of Upwards a Downward Spiral so she can go on to Innocence Lost)

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Top Banana
Top Banana
ah-HA!

So, there is a fic limbo. And here I was thinking I had made it up, and in so doing offended the FoLCs.

But here is evidence that "puff" pieces are optional for submission to the archive. (Not that puff isn't great in it's own right.) Now, I think I called mine "fluff", but it rhymes and its close enough.

Whew. Little marching guys with axes can all go back home.

CC (who flat-out lied about law school applications, wouldn't know one if it bit me, but good for you, Anna, best of luck!)

Oh crap!

~Tank
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Woah, hold that pony, CC, you don't get off the hook that fast. goofy

Throwaway those fics of LauraBF's may be, but as I recall, they were submitted to the Archive. wink Certainly the first two Hunter's ones have and the Christmas vignette isn't any more PWP than other Christmas vignettes in Laura's series imo, which have also been submitted. So not sure why you think this one is any the less viable, Laura! It matches the others in tone and Christmas atmosphere in my book. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
ulp...I think I hear those law school apps calling my name again...

CC(up against the big guns and she knows it)

Oh crap!

~Tank
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well... I tend to submit everything to the archive just in case my hard drive crashes. I *still* think that they're throw-away fics, I just like to keep a record. laugh

Laura

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Actually, I tend to do the same thing as LauraBF. I submit all of my stories, even the throw away stories (which most of mine are), just in case my hard drive crashes and I lose all of my stories. Hmm, I don't know why I don't burn them to CD -- I do that with all of my data for school and my research data. :rolleyes:

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm thinking that if you're submitting them to keep a record, you can't really call them 'throwaway' fic. That in fact the permanent record part seems to defeat the entire concept of 'throw away,' which implies, you know, throwing...away.

And I am absolutely not starting a debate, but this whole thing makes me curious. Seriously, no one posts things that don't go to the archive? Not one little thing? Ever? Really?

It seems hard to believe,though I've seen the little marching guys and heard the mantra 'no such thing as a throwaway...', but really?

What if you wrote something just for fun- or what if you wrote something you decided later you didn't like? To the archive, no matter what?

Again,not starting a debate, not me, no. But curious as all get-out. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this.

CC (who makes the rules here people? If we band together, we can change this!...ok, just kidding...haven't had my coffee is all.)

Oh crap!

~Tank
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard