Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#141832 10/06/03 03:40 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hey there,
What do you call a man's tank top/undershirt? I've heard it called both a "wifebeater" and a "guinea tee" -- neither of which is a very PC or Clark-like term for the garment! And "tank top" sounds a bit too girly.... Would "undershirt" be good enough? I have Clark wearing it to bed so it's not really UNDER anything. Any suggestions?
Thanks! -Wanda

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
#141833 10/06/03 05:07 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Why would the term "tank top" be too girly? That's exactly what I would call a man's shirt like that ... there isn't a different term, as far as I know.

There are (thin, white) tank top undershirts, but I can't see Clark wearing one and especially not to bed. Jonathan, maybe. It has an "older man" connotation to me ... something my dad would wear but not my husband. (Though my husband does wear regular white t-shirt undershirts under business clothing.)

When Clark sleeps on the show, he either wears boxer shorts or sleep shorts alone, or he pairs the sleep shorts with a regular t-shirt or muscle shirt (t-shirt with the sleeves cut off). I don't know that we've ever seen him in a real tank top ... not that I can recall, in any case. Even that episode where he took Jonathan to the health club, I think he was wearing a muscle shirt -- it seems to be his choice for lounging clothes.

Kathy

#141834 10/06/03 05:13 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Kathy, what the heck do you think you are doing, kill me here? laugh My heart is going pitty-pat at your descriptions of Clark, and there's no way I'm going to be able to calm myself down until I can go home to Vancouver where all my tapes are, and WATCH THOSE EPS again... But I have another three weeks to tough it out here, and you just have to tease a girl, doncha?

Melisma (ducking back under her Rock to try to calm down...)

jump party

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#141835 10/06/03 06:10 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
i'm pretty sure clark was in a tank top at one point. not certain of this, but a bubble of memory percolating from the depths tells me he was wearing one in this scene where he's working on a punching bag. i think it was during "requium for a superhero," but, wouldn't you know it, that's one of the few season 1 eps that christiane doesn't have screencaps for.

hmm. found a realplayer clip of parts of the scene i was thinking of. it's hard to tell, because it focuses mostly on his upper torso, but i think it's just a sleevless "muscle shirt," like kathy said.

it's odd, tho. i have the distinct feeling he was in a tank top at some point.

or maybe i'm just remembering a pic of dean in some other role that posted to the boards or something. i don't pay quite as much attention to clark's attire as some of the other members... wink

in any case, i can't quite see clark (or much of anyone, for that matter) wearing a tank top to bed. pj's are all about being comfortable, and tank tops aren't comfortable so much as revealing.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#141836 10/06/03 06:23 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Let us see... there's Resurrection, where he's dressed as Spike, and... Ordinary People, when they're on the island. Those are the two tank top scenes that come to mind. smile Mmmmm.

Molly
#141837 10/06/03 06:50 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
oh, wait... you're just asking for the name of a shirt that clark might wear to bed. that's different. (i'll leave out the fact that most of the time, for some odd reason, clark was shown going to bed without a top...)

there are undershirts. those are just plain white sleeveless shirts. and, even if there isn't something on top of it, it's still called an undershirt. and yeah, there are guys who wear those to bed.

personally, i prefer old tshirts... the kind that have become old favorites, soft and comfortable from repeated washings, but which are no longer suitable to wear outside (a small hole or two, or maybe a stain or something).

there are, of course, actual pajamas. not sure how common they are.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#141838 10/06/03 09:35 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Why would the term "tank top" be too girly?
Well, I tend to always associate tank top with teenage girls because a few decades ago, here in the UK, they were part of every teen girl's major fashion wardrobe. wink Men might have worn them too, but my memory doesn't extend that far if they did.

I always thought that was a UK thing though which didn't apply in the US, seeing as how I've read so many fanfic that have Clark wearing them.

After a time I got over it. goofy But it seemed a very strange thing for him to do for a time. laugh Certainly wouldn't give me any weird mind images now though.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#141839 10/07/03 03:13 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
[Linked Image]

I guess THIS was what I was thinking of... Clark never wore this kind of thing to bed? Oh well, I guess he'll have to be shirtless! ;-)

Thanks for all of the input! -Wanda.

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
#141840 10/07/03 04:34 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I'm confused here because, since 'tank top' has a different meaning over here, I tried some time ago to figure out what the US meaning was, and I thought it was the same as the 'muscle t-shirt' Kathy refers to and which Clark is wearing in the picture Kathy posted. So what is it? confused

Here, a tank top is a knitted V-neck sleeveless sweater, intended to be worn over a shirt - of the cotton, button-up kind which would be work with a tie. goofy Men do wear them, but it's not exactly a fashion item, and it's mainly older men or the tweedy 'academic' type who would wear them.

So... yet again we are divided by a common language! wink

Wendy (who remembers getting puzzled by Lois apparently wearing pumps with her business suits, since in the UK 'pumps' are gym shoes, similar to trainers. huh )

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#141841 10/07/03 05:56 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
To us, that knitted top would be considered a vest. The other thing we would consider a vest is the type of sleeveless thing worn over a shirt, but able to zip or button or something like that.

Over here, at least, a tank top is a shirt that has straps instead of sleeves. Most tank tops have wide straps, but some have thin "spaghetti" straps.

A sleeveless shirt {one designed that way by the manufacturer} would not be considered a tank top. A shirt with the sleeves taken off would be a muscle shirt.

Imagine.
#141842 10/07/03 06:27 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
...and here a vest is worn underneath clothes. goofy It may be what Paul calls an undershirt. The most common variety, and only worn by older men, is a string vest. I had an example, but it was (quite rightly wink ) pointed out to me that the photo wasn't quite PG13. Sorry! blush

Anyway, a man's string vest is similar in shape to the T-shirt Clark is wearing in the tattoo pics, but instead of being made of solid stretch cotton (standard T-shirt fabric) it's sort of webbed cotton - ie, like fishnet tights/pantyhose, it's full of holes. wink And considered very tacky these days.

Edit: Okay, found something. This string vest has larger holes than some, but still is a good illustration:

[Linked Image]

Though I now notice that string vests have become fashionable for women, and although sold as lingerie are intended to be worn as outerwear: eek The women's ones do have larger holes than the men's:

[Linked Image]

I'm just getting old!

Wendy wink

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#141843 10/07/03 07:18 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Both of those would be tank tops.

These are vests for us.

[Linked Image]

And this would be a pullover or a pullover vest.

[Linked Image]

Imagine.
#141844 10/07/03 07:45 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wanda, yes, the shirts Lois and Clark are wearing in that promo picture -- known as the "tattoo" photo spread -- are what we call tank top undershirts. But, as you guessed, Clark never wore one on the show itself, only in that particular promo shot.

I don't think anyone will complain about him being shirtless in your story, though. wink

Kathy

#141845 10/07/03 11:27 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
okay, now i'm a bit confused. but, before i get to that, i should clear up my understanding of a couple other issues.

first off, i'd call the sort of thing clark's wearing in that promo shot an undershirt. white, plain cotton, sleeveless, thin. that's an undershirt, or pretty close to it.

second, clark did wear something like that a couple of times on the show. in "requiem for a superhero," he has it on while he's playing around with the punching bag. as ems pointed out, he also wore a shirt like that on spencer spencer's island (when they're on the beach, he's wearing a hawaian style shirt, but later he's got a dark sleeveless shirt on), and possibly a couple other times.

the thing is, i thought that darker sleeveless thing was what kathy meant by "muscle shirt." for some reason, i've got this idea that a tank top is not only sleeveless but ends above the waistline, sometimes above belly button. maybe i'm confusing it with something else, but when i hear "tank top," i think of something that leaves at least a couple inches of the midriff exposed.

if anyone wants, i can get a small pic of clark in that boxing scene, as well as a link to a realmedia file of it (upgrading software on this comp, and i don't quite have time to dig around on another site before it finishes and i need to disconnect).

Paul

p.s. well, i've got nothing better to do at the moment, so i went and found the links. i know it's moot now, but... <shrug> here's a pic from requiem.

[Linked Image]

also, here's a realmedia clip of the scene.

both came originally from here.

#141846 10/07/03 11:57 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
OK, so what about a man's 3-piece business suit? We'd call the outer garment at the top a jacket (I think in the US you'd call it a coat), and the bottom garment trousers (US: pants). The sleeveless garmet under the jacket and over his shirt, we'd call a waistcoat or vest. What would it be called in the US?

Yvonne

#141847 10/07/03 12:14 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
LOL, I really opened up a can of worms in this topic!! lol! laugh

The "3rd" piece of a 3-piece suit is also called a vest in the US. The sleeveless sweatery garment worn over a shirt (usually by older men) is called a "sweater vest."

I think I've decided to avoid confusion and have Clark sleep shirtless. Nobody minds that, after all!

I really had no idea that the word would be that different abroad! Well, at least it makes for a more interesting conversation! Thanks FoLCs!

-Wanda notworthy

#141848 10/07/03 02:58 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by HatMan:
<SNIP>
for some reason, i've got this idea that a tank top is not only sleeveless but ends above the waistline, sometimes above belly button. maybe i'm confusing it with something else, but when i hear "tank top," i think of something that leaves at least a couple inches of the midriff exposed.
<SNIP>
That's called a belly-shirt, at least according to my cousin from the Philly/Jersey area.

~•~
#141849 10/07/03 03:12 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
hmm. odd. i grew up in NJ (am still here, actually), and i've never heard that term. i still call 'em tank tops. <g>

Paul

#141850 10/07/03 03:16 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Thanks, Paul, for finding that photo of Clark in "Requiem" ... I was looking online today, too, but struck out.

But yes, that is what I understand is called a "muscle shirt" -- it's like a shirt/sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off. Not the same thing as a tank top, which is designed with "straps" over the shoulders. (IOW, a muscle shirt is more cut straight up from the sleeve, which is what Clark is wearing while boxing in that photo.)

Kathy

#141851 10/07/03 07:28 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm thinking that you're asking about a wife-beater? Leastaways, that's what we call 'em 'round here. Actually, the term comes from Marlon Brando wearing one in A Streetcar Named Desire in the scene where he screams: "Stella, STELLA!", IIRC. And my younger brothers wear them as a matter of course, so it's not just and older man sorta thing.

Laura

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard