A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
I was just wondering...

How do you fdk the stories you read?

Let me categorize a few more specific questions:

1)Do you fdk all of them, only the ones you like, only the ones you have something to comment on them, only the ones written by your friends...?

2) Do you always try to be "the nice guy"? If you don't like something, you just say that you like it, you say nothing, or you say politely you didn't like it?

3) When you like something very much, do you let your enthusiasm show, or you just say "it was very good"? Also, do you fake to be excited when it is about a story that wasn't so good, or when it is a *good* story but not a *great* one?

4) If you are a writer too, do you feel offended when someone says they didn't like something on your story (or even your whole story)?

-

My answers:

1) I fdk a story only when I've read it shortly after it was posted - one or two days, maximum, and provided that I have enough time to fdk it smile

2) Given the fact that I still feel a newbie, plus the fact that sometimes I still don't feel very comfortable with English, I prefer not mentioning when I didn't like something, because I'm not sure how to speak so that I do not offend the writer.

3) I never fake enthusiasm. When I just liked a story, I say something simple. When I *loved* it, though... I write everything I feel: using adjectives, Graemlins, exclamations etc..

4) I *want* everyone to tell me what they think about my stories, even if they didn't like something. I certainly do not feel offended (except it's for someone who has been unkind, but, luckily, it has never happened until now), but I often can't help feeling a little sad when I get a negative comment.

Feel free to say anything. DO NOT LIE!!

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#140493 06/28/03 02:30 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
since I am a loser sitting at home doing work on a Saturday night razz grumble , here are my answers (grumble, grumble, that's what I get for doing no work Thurs of Fri because I bought a new car)

1)Do you fdk all of them, only the ones you like, only the ones you have something to comment on them, only the ones written by your friends...?
I only give fdk to stories that I read and like. If I don't like a story by the end of the first part, I won't read the rest and I won't comment at all. And there are some stories I don't read at all (like stories with Luthor in the title or if I can tell he is going to play a major part).

2) Do you always try to be "the nice guy"? If you don't like something, you just say that you like it, you say nothing, or you say politely you didn't like it?
Actually, I am quite mean if provoked to comment on a story I don't like. I know, everyone thinks I am sweet and innocent and I can't do anything mean wink . I sort of feel like if I don't like something, that doesn't mean that *someone* won't like it because my tastes are so limited. So I hold my tongue and don't say anything mean -- because I don't know how it will be recieved by the author. So if I can't say anything nice, I don't say anything at all smile .

3) When you like something very much, do you let your enthusiasm show, or you just say "it was very good"? Also, do you fake to be excited when it is about a story that wasn't so good, or when it is a *good* story but not a *great* one?
I always use a lot of gremlins. I think that's just my personality, though. However, I don't comment unless I am genuinely enjoying a story -- I'm just not a fake person smile and I'd rather say nothing than lie.

4) If you are a writer too, do you feel offended when someone says they didn't like something on your story (or even your whole story)?
I love constructive criticism. As I tell Rivka, you can rip my story to shreds, and I'll still like you smile . As some people know, I have a low opinion of my own writing for several reasons, and I always love for people to point out areas that I can improve. I'd prefer constructive criticism to just flames, though -- I am not a big fan of comments like, "hey, Alicia, your story really sucked! I hated it", but I do like comments like, "Alicia, your story sucked because..." laugh

- Alicia smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#140494 06/28/03 02:35 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmm...

1) I fdk only when I have something to say. I normally don't see the need to just say, 'great job' the end. I hold off until there are some memorable quotes to talk about. I basically like everything I read, but I don't always have something to say.

2) I've never had to be the nice guy. I've never read an L&C story that I didn't find at least one thing positive to talk about. We have so many great authors!

3) Oh, I let the enthusiam fly. Too bad we're limited to 8 smilies. goofy If it's good, I'll say it's good, if it's great, I'll jump up and down and run all over the house (figuratively speaking).

4) I'm not offended if I a) don't get feedback or b) someone says it wasn't their favorite story. First and foremost, I write for myself. If anyone else happens to like it, that always makes me happy, but it's not a necessity. And if there's one particular thing that someone truly doesn't like about it, I'd like to know so I can see if it's a real issue that needs to be fixed or just an opinion. Of course, this is all based on one story I've written since I only get off my lazy bum to write a story about every three years. goofy

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#140495 06/28/03 02:43 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Good questions!

1.) I leave feedback for most stories that I read, unless I am just too busy.

2.) I don't think I've ever been mean, but I am honest. If I have any criticisms, I try to be constructive. Everybody is doing their best, there is no point in being mean. 0:-)

3.) I do my best to let my enthusiasm show. Like Alicia says, I use lots of the graemlins or maybe even exclamation points. Anything to impress upon the writer that I really enjoyed it. laugh

4.) I like people to be honest as to what they think of what I have written. I do prefer it to be constructive though.

Jana

"Don't you people have lives?!?" ~Joe on Wings

"An eternal, burning flame. Hope lives on and love remains." ~from Love Remains, by Collin Raye
#140496 06/28/03 05:51 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
If I like a story, I will most definately comment on it. If I didn't like a part of it, I'll typically say what I think needs to be done to fix it up a little bit. I don't only comment on my friends' stories since I don't have any real close friends on the MBs yet since I'm pretty new.
Sometimes if I know the author has already taken a lot of heat on one part of a story, I definately won't keep drilling it into their head that I didn't like it either because surely after a while they get the idea. If I didn't like a part, I'd tell them, but I wouldn't say something like "OMG I hate this part! You have to change it right now! It really sucks!" I mean I'm just not that mean!
I try to show that I REALLY liked the story if I thought it was great. Usually I'll put exclaimation marks, or something like that... if I just thought it was *good* then I'll say something like "Good job, keep it up"
I haven't written anything for Lois & Clark yet, but when I do have time to start putting some of my ideas down, I want brutal honesty! I don't care how mean it sounds, but I won't be offended by someone telling me how they really feel about it. I mean if they're just bashing it because they don't like me, then sure I'm not going to be too happy, but if it's constructive criticism, I won't mind at all.

*Blayne*

Clark: You are really high maintenance, you know it?
Lois: But I'm worth it.

Clark: Not exactly what you had in mind, huh?
Lois: Let's see. So far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, been treated as your girlfriend, and insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this.
#140497 06/28/03 06:22 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A

I leave very little feedback on the boards, because I read very little on the boards. Nearly everything I read, I read after it's been completed. I send feedback if I feel I have something to say - whether it's something as simple as "I really enjoyed this story, it brightened my day," or something as complicated as analyzing some bit of dialogue. Who it was written by - whether I'm friends with that person - plays no role in whether I respond. Well, honestly, I'm *less* likely to leave feedback for people I'm good friends with because I can tell them what I think in person.

Very rarely do I leave negative feedback, but that's simply because if I don't enjoy a story, I stop reading it. I have very little time for fanfic in general, and because I spend so much of that time (at least right now) writing, I have even less time for reading. There are so many fantastic stories out there that I don't spend a lot of time reading stories I don't absolutely love. However, if I am enjoying a story and have constructive criticism - questions about dialogue or characterization or something - I'm very likely to leave that. Again though, it's almost always done privately because of the way I read. I'd probably be less likely to leave that kind of detailed fdk on the boards.

I think I'm pretty good at letting my enthusiasm show. I don't use lots of exclamation points or anything like that, but I go into detail more and talk about why I really liked something. And I never fake anything. <G>

No, not at all. However, I get irritated when people say things like "I hate all stories with HG Wells, so I'm really not enjoying this." I feel like saying, "Okay, then go read something else and leave me alone to post this story for people who like HG Wells." But that is VASTLY different from saying, "I don't like the way that HG Wells is taking over the situation here. I'd rather let him push Lois and Clark in the right direction and then let them make the decision for themselves." or "I don't think this story really makes sense this way. Wouldn't it make more sense if you changed the order and of the scenes so that they have time to get to know each other better first." Those are still pretty broad, sweeping criticisms, but they *say* something; it's constructive. That's the kind of feedback I love. I have made MAJOR revisions to two of my stories after receiving feedback like this. If I didn't want honest feedback, I wouldn't bother posting to the mbs, I'd just send it straight to the archives.

Great question. I can't wait to see what everyone else says.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#140498 06/29/03 08:40 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooh, interesting questions... I'm gonna give my answers frist, then read what everyone else said...

I *try* to comment on all the ones I read, but I don't read all of the stories going at any one time.

Well, I try to be polite smile but there have been occasions where I've really disliked/disagreed with something in the story, and have said something about it. If it's just a story that doesn't particularly click with me, I may not say anything. When I do comment, I always try to find something positive to say, and I don't like to point out what I see as a problem without also suggesting a possible alternative.

When I critique, I *try* to make it as emotion-neutral as I can -- I'm giving my opinion, but just as information so the author can decide whether or not to change anything. I'm not in charge, and I don't have the One True Vision of what fanfic should be like smile

Now, I'll present that differently depending on who I'm talking to -- with friends, I think there's less danger of something being taken personally -- but that's my attitude underneath.

When I'm enthusiastic, I let that show <g> When it's not a story I'm that enthusiastic about, I try to focus on the parts I liked. I want to encourage other writers, but I won't lie. Fake praise doesn't let you grow.

This varies a bit depending on my mood at the time, of course.

Heck no! As long as it's not horribly rude, which is very very rare around here. If something isn't working for a reader, I want to know about it. I might change the story, or clarify what I've already got, or not change a thing, but I pay attention to honest critique.

My goal as a writer is to connect to readers. If they can't tell what I'm saying, I'm doing something wrong. I know I can't please everyone, though, and in the crunch I want to go with the version *I* like <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#140499 06/29/03 10:04 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, the first rule with me is that there are no rules. laugh Or to put it another way, I don't think I'm consistent enough in my habits to give generalisations about what I do and don't do. I suppose I aspire to giving fdk on every story I've read, but I generally fail dismally. I definitely *don't* only give fdk on stories written by my friends, although if I know they're feeling down or insecure about their writing, I'll try to drop in a line or two in their fdk thread to cheer them up.

I always try to be nice, but if I don't like something and I think it will help the author if I tell her/him so, then I will. Nicely smile

Nope, I can't fake it. wink If I'm enthusiastic, I try to show it. Of course, my writing skills might not actually be up to the task of showing that I'm enthusiastic, but that's what smilies are for. smile

In general, no.

Yvonne

#140500 07/05/03 08:56 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I write comments about the stories that I like *and* have something to say about.

Mostly I write to praise. However, if I don't think that Lois or Clark or somebody else act against their character or the plot is not believable, I say so. I may also disagree with the morals or desicions of the characters.

I think the chief point is plausibility *within* a story. I mean, we all accept that Superman can fly etc., but there are things we just couldn't believe Clark wouldn't do, f.ex tell his secrets to strangers. If he did so, he must have very good reasons.

Or just a little detail: Lois loves chocolate icecream. She could fancy different food but it must be in according to her character.

Hopefully I let my enthusiam show - but actually the writers should comment on this.

Though I mostly write essays etc., I enjoy myself by writing stories (though not fanfic). Usually I take criticism quite calmly: it concerns my *texts*, not *me*.

However, once I was mortified half a hour, because someone called my heroine *cold*. To my mind, she wasn't. Then I thought: perhaps I couldn't describe her aright.

Gabriele

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard