Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
AnHa Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I was just wondering how the relationship between Lois and Clark could have been different if the show was set 10 years or so later. How would new communication technologies/applications affect their relationship (friendship)?

I'm mostly thinking about instant messaging like MSN, but also mobile text messages and so on.

I've read some fics in the past with Lois and Clark chatting or exchanging e-mails, but not much. I'd like to see more laugh

And while e-mail and chatting was already around during the initial run of the show, the use of it has become more widely accepted and more 'natural' I believe.

Also, because MSN has changed my personal relationships a lot (especially with frieds), I'd like to see how it would change theirs. Some might think: they're with each other almost the entire day, why would they chat with each other in the evenings? Well, I still chat a lot with my fellow class mates, although I see them almost every day.

I think it would be interesting to see how Lois would maybe open up a little bit more. My personal experience is that on the internet, I'm less afraid to say certain things. Or sometimes I prefer having some delicate or embarassing conversations online instead of face-to-face. I also believe Lois would less shy to flirt (innocently or not) with Clark and so would he.

So, anyone who feels the need to write a story (short or long) in which Lois and Clark's relationship furthers because of online communication? With some late night chats and maybe Clark saying something flirty and Lois thinking "Oh my god! Has he really just told me that?". Or Lois being shocked by her own flirty comments. Who knows smile

Greets,

~ An ~
Kerth
Kerth
Maybe IRC too since it's older than MSN, Yahoo or AOL. For example a journalist Channel.... MadDog and Farmboy laugh

Jose smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Try CyberLink by Zoomway, for an amusing 'Lois and Clark on irc' story.

Jose, you were frighteningly close. goofy Lois discovers Clark uses a journalist channel on irc and decides to join in. He does use Farmboy in Zoomway's story, but Lois uses Rapunzel, not MadDog. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
There's already a story out there about Lois and Clark talking in a journalist/writer's chatroom if someone can recall the title or author. [EDITED: I see LabRat already answered this while I was writing my post.]

Maybe I belong to the wrong generation, An, but why would L&C talk to each other online instead of talking on the phone? Although I chat with friends online, I rarely chat with the ones whom I talk with on the phone unless we're meeting as a group so we can all talk with each other at once. Writing is so slow and awkward compared with talking that I can't imagine two people (as opposed to a group) who can talk on the phone for free being satisfied with the limitations of chat or text messaging.

Am I missing something?

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
AnHa Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hm, good question.

First of all the telephone costs. And although the telephone costs for have been lowered (some operators charge nothing after 7PM), a lot of people have discountinued their regular phone service and only have mobile phones.

Also, I like to chat on MSN while doing a lot of other things. While working for school, checking e-mail, checking forums, just surfing or sometimes while I'm half wathing television.

And I can also chat with different persons at the same time, whether or not in one group window. Also, it's less forward. Hm, it's hard to explain, but I'll try. Although I'm good friends with certain people, I don't just phone them when I feel like it. I also wouldn't want to bother them. But if I see one of my friends/classmates is online, I am not too shy to click on that peron's name and start talking. If that person feels like talking, we can have a conversation, but if that person doens't feel like talking the conversation will fall silent and that's okay. Also it's easier to say that you're busy or are just going away, then when someone calls you, I guess. And if you call someone, you ask for a lot more attention then when you that person via MSN.

Also there's just something nice about lying in bed before sleeping, with my laptop on my stomach and reading fan fiction or whatever I'm doing. And then a good friend comes online and starts talking to me. It's nice to find someone to talk to, even when it's after midnight. And I've had a lot of hilarious conversations on MSN. And I guess also more flirtatious conversations blush . And typing the words and watching them appear on your screen, can be quite different than talking on the phone. You can make better use of puns, or intentional humorous spelling errors... And you can read stuff again for better context.

Lol, I'm typing way too much! My point is that online chatting is quite different from phone conversations, but you're right, I hadn't thought of Lois and Clark just talking on the phone. But when they both can't sleep and don't want to wake each other, they can get online and see that the other is awake as well wink

And of course, it could also be a generation difference. I don't know how old you are, but I'm 21 which is still pretty young. And of course, personal preferences also make a difference. I'm kind of an internet junk blush

Now I'm going to take a look at that suggested story, I hope I haven't read it yet smile
After that, I'm going to study some more for my exam about online communities laugh

EDIT: I just read the story. I had already read it a few years ago, but I still enjoyed it (again). Thanks laugh

Greets,

~ An ~
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
that is a very cute story. i just read it too. smile

Merriwether
Merriwether
I agree, Lois and Clark would probably use the phone more -- and I'm biased, chatting all day long on the net. laugh

But here's a different use: Random comments at work, things you don't want your coworkers to overhear. Okay, so maybe that would be more Cat's department, or Ralph's, but it can be interesting. Just yesterday at work, with my coworker I discussed where to eat for lunch and who to send (can't let everyone know, we can't do a food run for 12 people, but just the two of us and whomever goes is fine), comments about the stupidity of a coworker, the status of work after certain people's shift ended and it leaving us a little short, and a link to an online book site.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
AnHa Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I know what you mean. When I have classes where I use my laptop, I have my MSN on so I can chat with my fellow classmates, even though they're sitting next to me LOL.

It's an easy way to 'gossip'. Talking about the other students, the teacher or the class.

And this Summer, I was on vacation with a couple of friends. Some things had happend with one of the guys and I was pretty confused and needed to vent, but it was hard because everyone was always there. So while I was sitting on the bed in the caravan with another friend, I just typed the more 'delicate' stuff into a Notepad window and we had our conversation that way laugh

MSN (or another instant messaging program) would be pretty interesting in the newsroom I guess. And they could tease each other without having to leave their desks. Lol, I can just see Clark sending a teasing message to Lois. Then she looks over to him and Clark is smiling that wonderful smile or gives her a wink. smile1

Greets,

~ An ~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Chatting online is different than on the phone... it can take less concentration, for one thing -- you can multi-task and if one of you goes silent for fifteen minutes (to go prop up the Golden Gate Bridge, for instance) it's not usually a big deal. And it's easier to keep track of multiple conversations when you can scroll up to remind yourself of who said what. I could see them having MSN/AIM open and just jotting short comments to each other from time to time. I know sometimes I like to have IRC open just to have a sense of company there, whether we actually talk much or not.

Sheila, I think typing speed is a factor here; I'd assume Lois is a pretty speedy typist and we know Clark is laugh

This could be fun.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
AnHa Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
LOL Pam, I hadn't really thought of Clark typing "brb" and flying off to perform a rescue somewhere laugh

Greets,

~ An ~
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
When I use those applications I usually just send links to webpages I have saved in My Favorites. Quite a few times I've even sent my roommate pictures and website links, even though we're an arm's length away from each other. Sometimes clicking is easier than reading the url out.

I can see them using a chat program during work or when they need to send a link to each other quickly. And, like you said, they're probably both fast typists. goofy A work environment would be especially interesting. Can't you just see them researching together? However, it makes Clark less likely to hover around Lois's desk. *Thinks* You know, it would be interesting to see her typing to a friend, and when Clark sees the message he gets jealous. *Evil grin*

On the same topic, can you see Clark and his parents talking via the Internet? That would make an amusing little vignette, I would think . . . Definitely cut down on phone bills.

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~Dr. Seuss
Merriwether
Merriwether
I like to chat on line instead of on the phone b/c I am shy. I don't like the awkward silence, if there is any and if I need to disapear for a while, I can. I can share pictures or links (like others have said) with ease. I can't see LnC chatting while at work, only e-mailing. I only started e-mailing when I was in univeristy sometime. . . I think in 1996. I didn't chat using ICQ first, until 1998/1999. I was slow!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Normally speaking I prefer to speak on the phone if I want a real heart-to-heart chat. Ignoring monetary concerns for calling between countries and so forth and the fact that I type a lot of words a minute, I will focus on what would concern Lois and Clark: work.

As someone who used to work in an office for 9+ hours a day, in and out of meetings, at my desk and so forth, IM is invaluable. When you're stuck in a conference representing your boss, you can IM discretely knowing full well that half the people are doing the same, tuning in only when the subject applies to their particular needs.

When you're at your desk and there are people waiting for a meeting right by it, you can IM and say things without having to be overheard. If you need a lapse to take a phone call, no problem having a message sit there for a minute or two.

There is also the always important "secret messaging" in order to rescue a colleague stuck in conference with someone who really is wasting their time. I can't tell you how many "important conference calls" I announced based on panicked IMs.

I assume the same would apply in a newsroom.

The ability to communicate without having to speak is becoming more and more important in some settings. Lois and Clark wouldn't be able to escape it because it is very much a fact of life now. I can't say it's all for the best, but that's reality.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
goofy

You guys are making me regret that I'd given up work before the net/email etc became the norm (it was just getting started when I left and my bosses hadn't gone with the revolution yet).

I think I missed out on a whole passel of fun there. <g>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard