Print Thread
#127317 06/24/03 11:30 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was struck by a challenge thought last night and thought I'd share. Aren't you lucky? laugh

While skimming through other fandoms, I've often seen an ongoing challenge series. Basically, someone sets up a challenge which invites authors to write a story which must include a specific set of elements (usually around 6). For example:

The story must include:

1. A grizzly bear.
2. One red and one yellow balloon.
3. Lois must find something valuable.
4. Clark is visited by his overbearing aunt.
5. A new type of K causes problems for Superman.
6. A ficus. <g>

As you can see, I'm not that good at setting this kind of challenge goofy , but you get the gist and I'm sure others would be more inventive! The point is that included elements wouldn't only be objects, but situations and events as well.

I know that back at the start of FoLCdom this challenge game was played on the fanfic list too, and I think it would be fun to ressurect it here. It could be an ongoing series of challenges, rather than a one-off, and challenge setters could be as easy or mean as they wanted on setting the parameters. Obviously, the aim would be to work in the specified elements in an original and clever way, but authors would be free to get them in in any way they wanted - in something wacky, a farce, or with serious logic. laugh

So...what do you reckon? Good idea? Or Shut up, LabRat, and go do something productive like sending Lauren this week's Archive update? laugh

LabRat (who is actually going to do that now...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#127318 06/25/03 12:37 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I was not aware of this type of challenges, but I think it's cool. A great way to set up challenges. A story that comes out of such a challenge must be a very clever one.
Definitely, something interesting to read.
I absolutely support the idea.

1. A grizzly bear.
2. One red and one yellow balloon.
3. Lois must find something valuable.
4. Clark is visited by his overbearing aunt.
5. A new type of K causes problems for Superman.
6. A ficus. <g>
Is this just an example, or a challenge on its own?
Sounds promising... smile

See you soon.
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#127319 06/25/03 12:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Challenging challenge...you said challenge???

I never could resist a *good* challenge <g> so I guess we're lucky :p

So...what do you reckon? Good idea? Or Shut up, LabRat, and go do something productive like sending Lauren this week's Archive update?
Well, as I'm sure you're already done with the 'sending Lauren...' thingy, I'll go for Good idea laugh

Carole, who goes back to the fic she was writing, so she can add a few (say six) things...

PS: three down, three to go smile1

#127320 06/25/03 01:09 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, Anna, it's entirely up to you guys. <G> It seems a pretty naff (translation naff = rubbish, not good <g>) challenge to me and I'm sure others could come up with better, but I'll never stand in the way of a good story, so if anyone wants to accept that challenge - go for it!

LOL, Cyad - look forward to reading it!

LabRat (only halfway through the upload as it happens; lunch and feeding Homer got in the way laugh )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#127321 06/25/03 01:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Homer_the_greek_author or Homer...?

Okay, don't have a clue to who or what Homer is, but I'll go for a dog...or a cat or...

...looking forward to reading it
Well, might take some time to have it finished, I've got lots of other things going on really RL related, but you'll be the first to know smile

Cyad (but you can call me Carole, I won't mind, nor bite wink )

#127322 06/25/03 01:37 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Homer_the_greek_author or Homer...?

Okay, don't have a clue to who or what Homer is, but I'll go for a dog...or a cat or...
Homer The Simpson. <g> Our labrador. My husband, Stuart, named him after Homer Simpson because he was yellow and fat when we first saw him. goofy Also because he's a huge Simpsons fan. Stuart that is, not Homer...although you never know, he might be too. Hard to tell.

LabRat smile (who apologizes for the rambling nature of this post - think I'm becoming seriously mellow from this lovely, relaxing day I'm having and listening to nostalgia music on the CD. wink )

The Musketeers
#127323 06/25/03 01:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LOL!

I knew it has something to do with a Lab...Homer Simpson crossed my mind, but, well, I guess I was being to european on that one wink

Carole

#127324 06/25/03 03:15 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
It seems a pretty naff (translation naff = rubbish, not good <g>) challenge to me
No, I don't think so. I believe that the more irrelevant the clues are the more exciting the challenge is.

look forward to reading it!
Me too!

See ya soon.
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#127325 06/25/03 03:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
look forward to reading it!...Me too!
Oh boy!

Okay then, but I have to confess the overbearing aunt is giving me a hard time confused smile1

#127326 06/25/03 04:42 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay then, but I have to confess the overbearing aunt is giving me a hard time
So long as she's also giving Clark a hard time you'll be doing okay. goofy

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#127327 06/25/03 05:29 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Remember "Taz", disguised as Martha, telling Clark that his Aunt Opal had broken her hip? "A broken hip on top of a ruptured gall bladder? What... did she fall out of her hospital bed?" "Exactly... very hard!" LOL

Edited to add: Sorry. This was OT - it wasn't meant as a suggestion for the story. It's just that all this talk of aunts reminded me of this scene, which cracked me up. That and Martha stabbing Clark in the back. "Don't stop, Mom. Whatever you're doing it feels great!" rotflol

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#127328 06/25/03 09:16 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I have to confess the overbearing aunt is giving me a hard time.
Well, you could always cheat by reading Pride and Prejudice and borrowing heavily from Lady Catherine de Bourgh... wink

Phil

Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox at times...
#127329 06/25/03 10:47 AM
Blogger
Blogger
wow, this looks like a lot of fun. I know the type you mean, although my favorites are the lists where you get to choose which ones. For instance:

Story must inclue at least five of the following items.
- evil teletubbbies
- the phrase "looks like a smurf on crack"
- urkel clones
- a game of "strip uno"
- Clark in drag
- the song "men in tights"
- a star trek cameo
- them watching either "son in law" or "my cousin vinny" and arguing about whether Walter/Trotter looks like Perrry.
- an obscene use for a kiwi
- vampires

lol. You know, after writing that I've decided I want to see it. Sure, it'll probaly be really silly, but since when has that stopped me? lol, I had completely forgotten about these until you brought them up. Thanks!

#127330 06/25/03 01:46 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm assuming the other challenges are still allowed too right? Like the ones where part of a storyline is given and it's supposed to be changed, or episode extention challenges or something like that? Because I personally like those, although I don't think I've ever read one that had requirements as to what to put in it... confused

*Blayne*

Clark: You are really high maintenance, you know it?
Lois: But I'm worth it.

Clark: Not exactly what you had in mind, huh?
Lois: Let's see. So far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, been treated as your girlfriend, and insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this.
#127331 06/25/03 07:21 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Skitz and Blayne - as with all other challenges issued here in the challenge folder, this one doesn't exclude any others and is intended to run concurrently and alongside other challenges of varying types.

So, Skitz, if you want to issue a challenge on that basis - go right ahead! And, Blayne, I would certainly hope so! wink

- an obscene use for a kiwi
Just remember that it has be pg13 to be posted here in the challenge folder. Of course, there's nothing to stop anyone posting a challenge response over in nfic if things head over the limit. laugh

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#127332 06/25/03 09:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So long as she's also giving Clark a hard time you'll be doing ok
LOL Labrat! rotflol Giving Clark a hard time? Now, that's appealing! <g>

Well, you could always cheat by reading Pride and Prejudice and borrowing heavily from Lady Catherine de Bourgh...
Tarkas, I don't like cheating and borrowing when writing is concerned, but I'll keep that in mind wink

Carole

#127333 06/26/03 01:14 PM
Blogger
Blogger
lol labrat. Remember, one definition of obscene is repulsive and disgusting. Another is socially unacceptable. Of course, most people are probaly thinking of the lewd definition when that word is mentioned, but merely using a kiwi for a purpose such as lining in a bed would be considered obscene. lol, you're right though, nothing preventing challenges from being posted elsewhere. Thanks for the clear up.

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard