I was struck by a challenge thought last night and thought I'd share. Aren't you lucky? laugh

While skimming through other fandoms, I've often seen an ongoing challenge series. Basically, someone sets up a challenge which invites authors to write a story which must include a specific set of elements (usually around 6). For example:

The story must include:

1. A grizzly bear.
2. One red and one yellow balloon.
3. Lois must find something valuable.
4. Clark is visited by his overbearing aunt.
5. A new type of K causes problems for Superman.
6. A ficus. <g>

As you can see, I'm not that good at setting this kind of challenge goofy , but you get the gist and I'm sure others would be more inventive! The point is that included elements wouldn't only be objects, but situations and events as well.

I know that back at the start of FoLCdom this challenge game was played on the fanfic list too, and I think it would be fun to ressurect it here. It could be an ongoing series of challenges, rather than a one-off, and challenge setters could be as easy or mean as they wanted on setting the parameters. Obviously, the aim would be to work in the specified elements in an original and clever way, but authors would be free to get them in in any way they wanted - in something wacky, a farce, or with serious logic. laugh

So...what do you reckon? Good idea? Or Shut up, LabRat, and go do something productive like sending Lauren this week's Archive update? laugh

LabRat (who is actually going to do that now...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers