Laura A big set up? Hmmmm. wink

Virginia Interesting speculation. And good point re Lois not knowing for sure that Martha is alive.

Vicki

I see Lois is starting to ask herself some of the same questions I was asking.
Yes - now that she has had the time to think things through.

I posted Highway 1 on the 21st of April - over a month ago. For Lois, discovering Clark's amnesia happened on Wednesday morning. It is now Friday night. I realise that, as readers, it is easy to forget how little time has passed and how quickly things have moved.

Patrick

Not sure why you had Lois lie.
A few people mention this further on, so I'll respond here for everyone.

The people of Smallville have lived for seven years with the mystery of the sudden disappearance of a loved local family. Then - out of the blue, when all hope appeared lost - Clark returns. Whoa! That must have been huge news.

The story is put about that the Kents were wrongly kidnapped and Clark was rescued by government agents. I think most people would love a few more details, but the overwhelming question would be 'Are Martha and Jonathan OK?'

Then suddenly, Clark and the agent he brought home with him disappear again.

From Highway 1 ...

Lois nodded. "That's a good idea," she said, thinking of long hours in the car, and motel rooms, and eating meals, and nights ... together. "That will give Clark the time that he needs."

"What will you do about the farm?" Daniel said.

"I'll call the neighbour and ask him if he can do the chores for a few days."

"What will you tell him?"

"That we've had a lead about Clark's mom, and we had to go in case it developed into something. That's the only reason Clark would leave the farm."

"I'll call the neighbour," Daniel said. "You've got enough to think about."

"OK, thanks," Lois said, glancing to Clark again. "Anything else?"
So, the Smallville residents are told (via Wayne) that Lois and Clark have gone to chase down a lead on Martha.

What is going to be the first and repeated question Clark is going to face when he returns? What happened with your mom? Did you find your mom? Where is Martha?

Lois *had* to find a way to silence that.

I think she should have told folks the truth that he has some recent memory problems.
Two problems with that. First, she is wary of admitting to any similarities between Clark and Superman. Sure, the public don't know Superman lost his memory, but Lois can't be sure they never will.

Second, that doesn't answer the questions about Martha.

Iolanthe

Just a little!

MM

I'm pretty sure Lois' novel helped nudge that idea along,
Good pick up.

Elizabeth Yeah, I guess Martha has to have a backstory help Assuming she's alive, of course.

Michael

Also, Clark's finally got a hobby.
rotflol

DW I thought Lois making a great pie would be a nice surprise!

Mel
I could see either being a possibility with her caring personality and her skills.
Just quoting without comment!

Kathy

As a trained agent, she should know that the more lies you tell, the easier it is to get tripped up.
True - and on the first day (after spending a sleepless night of worry and then discovering the whammy that Clark now remembered nothing), she had to make an on-the-spot decision regarding Clark's parents.

Saying they had died was actually the simplest way - particularly as Lois thinks there is a good chance Jonathan has died and has grave fears for Martha (Would you like someone you love at the mercy of Jason Trask?)

Imagine if she had tried to concoct a story that was Martha alive. I think she would have been forced into digging a deeper and deeper pit, trying to find answers for Clark's questions. At least 'they died before I knew you' is going to limit his questions. There is no way to explain why Lois hadn't asked Clark (pre-amnesia) about something as bizarre as a person simply disappearing. And how does she explain that Clark - with all of his powers - hadn't been able to find her? Wouldn't Clark ask *lots* of questions about what he had done in trying to find her?

Cristina I've answered others with regard to Lois's actions.

I must say that I'd be disappointed if this didn't lead to conflict between Lois and Clark, because I really think that when Clark finds out, he should get angry.
I guess Clark's reaction will depend on whether he is able to understand the immense pressure Lois has been under and whether he can see her motives or just her actions.

Thanks to everyone for continuing to read and particularly to those people who take the time to let me know your thoughts.

Corrina.