Nope, they're real fish - there's a fish stall in Pike's Place Market where they throw the fish to one another instead of just handing it to the person weighing it for sale.
Oh no, Steph is right. But, well, you are, too. Allow me to explain. She, Kltpzyxm and DaisyMay390 came to visit for my baby shower in 2009 and I took them to Pike Place Market, like any good tour guide would. Well, the fish guys hadn't been throwing any fish the whole time we were there, so we started encouraging/chanting for them to "throw some fish! throw some fish!"

So the one guy throws a fish alright -- right at AT ME. I'm standing at an angle where all I see out of the corner of my eye is something huge coming right toward me, and hey, I'm pregnant, and and therefore have smell aversions, so I SCREAM and jump out of the way. You know, a reflex? Well, the damn thing was a STUFFED fish. So I'm mortified, the three of them are DYING laughing, and all of these old, foreign tourists are shocked and I swear a couple of them took pictures. Hmph. razz

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"