Hi Vicki,

First of all: thank you for reading, and for commenting of course smile .

Obviously, I've never been blind myself, either. I've known a few people who were born blind, but for obvious reasons, they were unable to describe what blindness is like as compared to the experience of someone who can see.

On the off chance that there's someone reading these boards who has lost their vision at some point in their lives, I would of course appreciate any input they might have. Failing that, I'll take Vicki up on her suggestion. After all, I suppose *some* sort of visual ability is required even to do something as simple as distinguish 'blackness' or 'darkness' from anything else. Maybe 'emptiness' is a better word?

This is going to be a story in at least twelve parts, and the next chapter should be up some time tomorrow. I've been re-writing parts of it, however -- I'm the kind of person who writes something in an hour, and then spends two days revising it to death -- and I haven't had the guts yet to send it to my lovely BR as-is. So what I'm saying is: when the next chapter is up will depend on her schedule, too.

This is why it helps me to put myself on some kind of 'publishing deadline', by the way: at least now, I know I'm going to have to be done with it at *some* point. Otherwise, anything I churn out just gets rewritten into oblivion, and then dies a silent death in an unfrequently visited corner of my hard drive.

You can gaze at the stars, but please don't forget about the flowers at your feet.