Hmm... On the show, iirc, there was the I love you thing at the VERY end of S3, but I'd say that was more cliffhanger than actually creating canon if that makes sense.

I think in OTOH either Clark or Van/Bernie said something about not being telepathic with humans but being able to sense strong emotions from those they are very close to [and/or have bonded with because of their physical relationship] etc unless actively blocking them, either consciously or unconsciously, which Clark realized he'd been doing with Lois, but it hasn't been actively revisited.

In the kitchen when Lois first meets Ellen, Clark can feel her tears. That kind of thing.

I kind of go with Nan's Home type theory in that sense. Though in her Dagger series, at least one human has been able to get on the wavelength with Kryptonians; he's bonded to one of the girls iirc.

Anyway, that's kind of how I see it...

I'll be rereading OTOH [again!] in the hopes of getting it to Labby before the Kerth noms come out b/c I won't have time to reread it after that and will make sure there's something about that in there.

More later! Thanks!

Carol