so, the machine in France is turned off, and the anomalies won't show up again unless they're triggered from the other side. But that doesn't explain where those extinct crustaceans came from, not to mention the passenger pigeons. That means that either the rifts cross both space and time, or they're joining this world with random other worlds (or dimensions), and it's unlikely that the "other world" would be triggering the same type of events. If that were the case, then these rifts would have been showing up long before now.
I'm hoping it's something from Clark's world interfering with the LHC, so that the entire particle physics community doesn't cease to exist, as the LHC is pretty much the only game in town...
I don't think Clark would be able to do his "super" job under the political situation you've outlined in your story. And I sincerely doubt that Lois will want to stay, especially if she thinks she has any kind of chance to regain her family and make a real difference in her new world.
I can see that, but I also wonder if Clark could turn things around in this world by the example he sets. I get the feeling he is indeed going to go home at some point, but in keeping with the "Veritas" theme, perhaps he won't; there's no guarantee there's a safe way to do it.
I'm sure Clark would be willing to help her get re-settled. Right in his living room. Lois would probably be willing to contribute to Lana's airfare back to Smallville, too.
rotflol