Lisa, I enjoyed this when I read it a year and a half ago, and when it was mentioned re sammie's request, I remembered it, despite the hundreds of other fanfics I've read since then. The only thing that surprised me was the lack of Kerth nomination next to it on the archive.

The writing was tight, but not minimalist, with a truly lush setting. You didn't have Jimmy give long explanations of anything that sounded like an authorial info-dump. Instead, we were fed necessary information through bits of action and dialog. Very well done.

I had a slightly different favorite line than the others:
Jimmy raised his head and looked at Clark. The other man looked back at him with a steady gaze.

This was his best friend. The man whose wife he loved as a sister and whose son he had promised to protect if his parents were unable to do so. He trusted him.

Jimmy raised his eyebrows at him, and Clark nodded.
It gave me such a clear picture of their relationship, and besides, it was so guy-like: never say 20 words if 7 will do; don't bother with 7 words if raised eyebrows and a nod will do.

I also loved this bit:
"Let me! I --"

"Shut up, Lane!"

CK smoothed his hand over Lois' back. She took a deep breath and glowered at Henderson, but she stopped talking.
Really lovely vignette and revelation.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/